No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, NYE, but I must decline your generous offer. I respect both you guys and the NHL too much to make a mockery of it with my lackumen*. Someone should check with KH. Aren't we approaching the end of his time away?

Hope you guys have a fun year. I'll just be quietly hoping that last year was not a mirage and the Hawks will actually make the playoffs next May.

* lackumen: (n) -- lack of acumen; an inability to make good judgments or decisions in a particular domain
    (Origin: -Jrabbit, just now)
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

We could always use newbies, it makes us look good.

Plus you gotta learn somewhere...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS
        i want to take part of the pool!
        Sign that man up!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
          You may wish to pm joncha.
          Can you get him a message? I sent a PM, but his box is full.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
            Sorry, NYE, but I must decline your generous offer. I respect both you guys and the NHL too much to make a mockery of it with my lackumen*. Someone should check with KH. Aren't we approaching the end of his time away?

Hope you guys have a fun year. I'll just be quietly hoping that last year was not a mirage and the Hawks will actually make the playoffs next May.

* lackumen: (n) -- lack of acumen; an inability to make good judgments or decisions in a particular domain
            (Origin: -Jrabbit, just now)
            Our pool isn't that serious. It's for fun, mostly. We've had a broad range of people with varying levels of knowledge in the past.

I sent KH a PM, and sent up smoke signals.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

JR, you realize I played in this league, right? I mean, you probably know who Bobby Hull is and such...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

pretty decent chance- They were mathematically in it this year until pretty late so if all those young guys can just improve a little and some of their off-season changes pan out, they will be in the mix

But I think the West will be very tough again this year so it will be tough sledding
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Where are we now-- still around 7 participants??

NYE - I nominateyou for Commish -- do you accept?

Seems we have at least 3 people in favor of an additional bench spot-- I remember snoopy being opposed and don't recall anyone else chiming in

Draft day? I suggested we start Sept 2 but this is a bit early so I wondered what people thought
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Kontiki at minimum said he also doesn't want an additional bench space.

Fantasy sports with large benches are more boring and have less interesting strategy later in the season. While it's all well and good to say 'increase the value of draft strategy', the reality is that the draft is the least important part of making a fantasy game good. What's important is keeping peoples' interest in three months - which requires having more interesting players on the waiver wire to pick up, rather than just shuffling players from bench to starting and back; especially if you suffer a rash of injuries at one position, as that can ruin your season if there aren't any good players at that position available to pick up. Taking away two or three players at each position can make a big difference in the quality of available talent.

Comment

I'd like another bench spot, but it isn't critical to me.
                      Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

While I'd prefer to not have the extra spot, it's a pretty minor issue overall for me.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                          Kontiki at minimum said he also doesn't want an additional bench space.
                          OK missed that

Taking away two or three players at each position can make a big difference in the quality of available talent.
                          I can agree with that idea but that strikes me as an better argument to restrict the numberm of participants. AS it stands we have 7 participants at the moment-- Even if we end up with 10 participants we would still have fewer played drafted overall even if we move to 15 player rosters

Fantasy sports with large benches are more boring and have less interesting strategy later in the season. While it's all well and good to say 'increase the value of draft strategy', the reality is that the draft is the least important part of making a fantasy game good. What's important is keeping peoples' interest in three months - which requires having more interesting players on the waiver wire to pick up, rather than just shuffling players from bench to starting and back; especially if you suffer a rash of injuries at one position, as that can ruin your season if there aren't any good players at that position available to pick up.
                          WEll unless we pick up a few new participants somewhere, we are likely going to have more players undrafted than last year so pratically speaking I think we should be ok. (last year we drafted 168 if we have 10 teams it could be only 150 even with expanded rosters -- and we may only have 8 participants). I agree in not wanting huge benches for the reason you cite, there would be no one interesting left. But I think adding one more bench slot wouldn't eliminate that -- particularly if we are down to 8 teams .

My reasons for wanting a slightly larger bench is that I think it allows a little more flexibility in strategy as people can try to emphasize or differ things a little more--

BUt at the end of the day its merely a "would be nice" for me-- no great big deal either way

Comment

Too bad the league seems like it's going to be smaller. I liked having a greater variety of opponents and it made both the draft and later manipulation of rosters more interesting. I remember in years passed when you could easily pick up point-per-game players from the undrafted pool. I personally find it much better when you need to scrounge for more marginal talent from that pool.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

What about asking over at FFZ (or similar) if anyone wants to join up?

Comment

Heres the lineup at the moment-- Please correct any errors or ommissions (people that did not play last year but who have posted in this thread are in red)

IN

Asher-- IN
                                mrboo123- IN
                                notyoueither-- IN
                                Guynemer-- IN
                                Flubber-IN
                                snoopy369 --IN
                                Cronos IN

Likely

Kontiki-- maybe-looks like a yes if we can accomodate his vacation
                                Sparrowhawk-- Interested -not definite

NO response yet
                                Tingkai-- not yet read PM I sent
                                Imran Siddiqui- not read PM I sent
                                Jonny- shows as reading PM I sent on Aug 24

Declined

Ninot
                                Ben Kenobi
                                Hot Mustard

So I make it that we have 9 teams-- So its looking like a 10 team league
                                Last edited by Flubber; August 25, 2008, 16:20.

Comment

Working...
                                X