No announcement yet.

AHL- Apolyton Hockey League 08/09: Preseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's mostly off the cuff from stuff I thought of last year and a bit this year with FFL - there's probably much better stuff out there about the strategy.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I would think that blocked shots are somewhat related to +/-, but I may be wrong.

I'm in for the season, by the way.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I think most blocked shots come on the powerplay so they're not really impacting +/-.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
          I would think that blocked shots are somewhat related to +/-, but I may be wrong.

I'm in for the season, by the way.
          Excepting as Asher says PK blocks, you're right - but EVERY stat is heavily correlated with +/-, as that is (supposed to be) the stat that defines contribution to scoring and to not being scored on. PIM are the exception to that rule, which is why I think they're idiotic

If Hits are a stat, then use them.

If blocks are a stat, maybe use them, maybe not.

If not, then just use PPA/PPG separately - they accomplish the purpose (giving D's some points, and some separation) if not perfectly, adequately.

Comment

Stat categories: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/hoc...hrules-11.html

Skaters:
            Goals;
            Assists;
            Points;
            Plus/Minus;
            Penalty Minutes;
            Powerplay Goals;
            Powerplay Assists;
            Powerplay Points;
            Shorthanded Goals;
            Shorthanded Assists;
            Shorthanded Points;
            Game-Winning Goals;
            Shots on Goal;
            Shooting Percentage (Rotisserie, Head-to-Head Only);
            Faceoffs Won;
            Faceoffs Lost

Goaltending:
            Games Started;
            Wins;
            Ties;
            Losses;
            Shutouts;
            Shots Against;
            Saves Made;
            Goals Against;
            Goals-Against Average (Rotisserie, Head-to-Head Only);
            Save Percentage (Rotisserie, Head-to-Head Only)
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

What stats did we have last year?

Maybe we can replace PPG/PPA with PPP and SOG?

Shots on goal was fun in other leagues I was in.

Comment

Hmmm, SOG makes more sense than in most sports (since in hockey, a SOG is nearly always a good thing) ... shooting % is sort of the opposite, it makes somewhat less sense than in other sports, I suppose.

The only problem is I think it would make defensemen even less useful... PPA would be better for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                  Dunno if I'll participate this year.
                  I hope you will.

Originally posted by mrboo123
                  I'm pretty sure I'll join again. If there are an odd number of teams, I could drop out if wanted though...
                  I don't think anyone should drop out if we are under the maximum. If we hit the max (16 or 20 teams, I think) we might think about 2 leagues.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

My biggest issue is that I'll be out of town from September 15 to September 30, inclusive. That's prime drafting time and I'm not sure it's possible to work around that.

My other issue I can deal with because I enjoy the league as a whole.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

As for stats used, my vote goes to keeping it the same as the last two years. I understand the issues with separating PPG and PPA, but I still like them better than any of the other available stats.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I'd be interesting in seeing the faceoff stats.

Alternatively, would another website carry hits as a fantasy stat?
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Yahoo's fantasy hockey is the best for this kind of league. The other site I know of that does count hits (along with blocked shots and everything else, weighted) is Sporting News...which is more like stock market meets fantasy sports due to player salaries also.

Comment

Dang-- I had hoped that hits might have been added since last year-- I think its a cool stat

Of the other player stats, the only ones I could be bothered with is SOG or PIM. But SOG strikes me as a stat that would be dominated by forwards mainly. PIM- I kinda like as it is different but I understand the reluctance people have toward it-- IT could make for some interesting drafting decisions though

So while I would really like to have a different stat, I don't really see an available stat that makes good sense

Too bad since I think Hits would have been a real good stat-- Did you know that the league leader by a LOT was Dustin Brown-- his 311 hits was a full 50 more than the next player and then there werea bunch (11 players with more than 200. Phaneuf was 16th with 194-- Alexander Ovechkin had 220!!!

So status quo on stats used?
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I believe Asher's link is last year's rules; they probably haven't finalized the rules this year yet (it listed last year's playoff dates, for one).

Comment

Other issues to be determined

Commish?-- NYE?

Any other changes?

1. Do people want to restrict transactions? Some people didn't seem to like large numbers of transactions (mainly by me as it happended)-- I'll go with whatever the sentiment is but frankly I don't see why it would be a concern. You are mainly just rotating in or our fringe players anyway and it added a lot to the interest in the pool for me to try to figure out a pick of the week fringe guy-- But if people want a limit on transactions I will be fine with that too

2. I was wondering if anyone would like to expand the bench size by one (if this is possible).I think an added player gives a bit more flexibility. I would really like this if we are going to restrict transactions but think its a decent idea anyway. It actually makes churning even less attractive since even fewer good players are available BUT gives managers a little extra flexibility in setting up their roster

Oh and has anyone PMed anyone about this yet? I can if no one else has. The season starts on Oct 4 so when do we need to start our draft?

Last year the season started on Sept 29 and we started the draft on September 13 and got it done in those two weeks but people indicate we had started ridiculously late
                                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                                X