This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns for Titans' quarterback prompt midnight meeting

Concerns about the well-being of Tennessee Titans' quarterback Vince Young prompted an overnight meeting at the team's headquarters.

In a statement released Tuesday, the Titans said they received a call from those closest to Young Monday night saying he left his house around 7 p.m. abruptly and without his cell phone in a "state of mind that had them concerned."

Not having all the facts the Titans said they contacted Metro police to "make them aware of the situation" and "ask for their assistance in locating Vince."

Police issued a be-on-the-lookout for Young.

Negotiators were placed on standby and special resource officers were called in to check area hotels to see if Young had checked in.

The quarterback was located a time later at a friend's house, the Titans statement said.

Metro police spokesperson Don Aaron confirmed Fisher and Young first made contact around 11 p.m. Monday.

He said Fisher emphasized to Young the importance of meeting face-to-face and requested he come to Baptist Sports Park.

Young arrived just after 11:30 p.m.

After a meeting between Young, police, Fisher and unknown members of the Titans staff, the team said it was determined that initial concerns by friends and family were "unfounded" and Young "returned home without incident."

Police also confirmed an unloaded pistol was found in the glove compartment of Young's vehicle.

In Tennessee it is not against the law to transport an unloaded firearm with no ammunition present in a motor vehicle.

Police said they do not know whether the gun was registered to Young.

Questions surrounding Young's mental health began Sunday during the team's season-opener against Jacksonville.

He seemed inconsolable after throwing an interception midway through the fourth quarter.

After walking to the sideline through a heavy chorus of boos, Young threw his helmet and sat on a bench with a towel over his head.

After a defensive stop the offense took the field but Young remained on the sideline.

Backup Kerry Collins started taking a couple practice snaps and Fisher pulled off his headset to talk with Young.

The quarterback eventually took the field and four plays later went down with what was later said to be a sprained left knee.

Young was scheduled to have an MRI exam Monday. It was rescheduled for Tuesday with no explanation.

Young was drafted third overall in the 2006 NFL draft.

He won 17 games in his first two years a starter and last year, led the Titans to a playoff berth.

I don't want to speculate too much about this, but it doesn't sound good. This, combined with Young taking himself out of the '08 season opener, and his contemplating retirement after 2006, strongly suggests that Young isn't happy playing quarterback in the NFL.

I really hope he can find some way to be happy, whether it's in or out of football.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• As I told Jag on Gmail IM, maybe that 6 on the Wonderlic actually was important.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• A light turns on; common sense and logic are revealed...

Merriman to undergo season-ending surgery

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports San Diego Chargers LB Shawne Merriman (knee) has elected to undergo season-ending knee surgery to repair the torn ligaments in his knee
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• -Jrabbit, Im glad he chose this path. several players went out this week with injuries
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• I can't believe he took the field at all. Guess he had to prove to himself that he couldn't play with two torn ligaments in the same knee.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• that was painful, got Brady on 2 teams and Burleson on 2 teams

Comment

• Denver passing may be awesome. Eddie Royal had a great game, without Brandon Marshall playing. Denver has some WR's.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• And a healthy Jay Cutler.

Comment

• Yeah, he looked good.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Colston out four to six weeks

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reports New Orleans Saints WR Marques Colston (thumb) had surgery to reattach a torn ligament in his left thumb Tuesday, Sept. 9, and will miss four to six weeks

Comment

• ****. It's the Snoopy Curse at work again...
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Bucs to start Griese over ailing Garcia vs. Falcons

Comment

• Well... some good matchups this week. About half an hour to the early games.

Are you ready for some football
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• It will be interesting to see if the Bears can do it twice in a row on the road. I have no expectations but of course, a lot of hope. Also really looking forward to the Minny-Indy game.

With no baseball for either Chicago team since Thursday, I am TOTALLY ready for some football.

Comment

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

GO BEARS!
                                Ya have to love the special teams. A blocked punt for a TD.
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X