No announcement yet.

Rugby - New Year, New Coaches, New Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try from the end of the earth up in Edinburgh Saturday, eh?

Comment

Just a quick aside to address the Henson thing – it’s not unusual for charges to be dropped against a few individuals when a group is involved. Gavin will just have to visit his three drinking buddies in jail for a while.

All sorts of rumours at Welford Road Finbar – I have no idea how true any of them are. Main rumour seems to be a rift between club skipper and head coach – with senior players backing the skipper.

Our new coach is a strong minded man and has ruffled a few feathers.

Someone got the game plan badly wrong Saturday (eight man stone walling with Goodey clearing to touch) and some poor decisions were made late on when we should have kicked points to go for the actual win instead of still chasing the futility of try bonus points – the coach came perilously close to criticising the skipper in his post match interview but he also hinted the game plan was his in the first place..

I have a feeling – and it is only that – that Lofrreda may not be given the time he needs to set his stall out. If he loses the EDF semi to the hated insects and fails to make the premiership final I can see him being asked to leave in the summer.

How are you fixed next season Finbar? We need someone with common sense and a no nonsense attitude.

It’s always tricky for me when two sides I dislike meet – but my word didn’t Wasps take Llanelli apart? Dayglo was at his insufferable worst in the post match interview where he claimed Wasps could do almost anything (right up to turning lead into gold).

Ospreys do seem to be the only Welsh province that can mix it with the big boys after taking advantage of poor discipline from Glaws to record a great win. And as noted above Blues just about fell over the line against Quins.

Will a Welsh side finally win the European Cup? I don’t think so. But they have a better chance now one of the English titans have crashed out.
      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

On the basis that I don't own a pink tie, and, in fact, would top myself before I'd allow one within a thousand miles of my wardrobe, I think I'm perfectly qualified.
        " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
        "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
          Ospreys do seem to be the only Welsh province that can mix it with the big boys after taking advantage of poor discipline from Glaws to record a great win. And as noted above Blues just about fell over the line against Quins.

Will a Welsh side finally win the European Cup? I don’t think so. But they have a better chance now one of the English titans have crashed out.
          I'm glad Os won. Gloucester seem to think they're the dog's bollocks, but I really don't think they are. It'll be interesting if they meet again in a QF replay at KH - and hopefully Ospreys would put right their colossal f*ckup in not winning there first time out (i.e., picking Mike Philips).

Blues may have fallen over the line, but if they manage that again next week, it'll be their first ever time (as a region) in the QFs. I'm just noting that as part of the larger story of regionalism in Wales:
          four years before regionalism: 6 qfinalists;
          four years since regionalism: 1 qfinalist.

Comment

That is an interesting observation.

I have a vague memory of the previous incarnation of Cardiff making the final in 1996?

Glaws are a strange team - they deserved to top the table last year but as you then saw they fell apart against Tigers in the final (much as Tigers then did a week later).

And wasn't it 2003 when they finished 18 points clear in the table but had the trophy burgled by Wasps (the insects not having truly topped the table since 1997)?

Glaws have a terrible tendency to flatter to deceive.

That said KH is just as hard a place to visit as Liberty Stadium.
            It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

See, I don’t think that the Blues ‘fell over the line’ against the ‘Quins. I was there and in general it was all one way traffic – what the Blues lacked was the killer punch to put the points on the board. Even so, they were 10-0 at half time.

They got a bit of a fright with a ‘Quins try, but then normal service was found again and they were up 23-7 and looking comfortable even with another consolation try from ‘Quins.

It is true that the Blues have gone through a bit of a rocky patch lately since their barnstorming start to the season, but from the games I’ve been at (all of the home games so far!), apart from the loss to Leinster where the team basically didn’t turn up the other games, some of the recent games have been dour struggles in difficult conditions. Edinburgh particularly was a mud bath of epic proportions, with the Blues just pipped at the post with a drop goal in the dying minutes from a game they were essentially controlling…

If the Heineken game at Bristol is played in OK weather then I tip the Blues to win, otherwise I’m not so sure.
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

What the dickens are you typing on? Or are you carving out the mots in stone with a hammer and chisel?
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Sorry, you lost me there…

Comment

I think he's referring to all the â stuff followed by a euro sign and whatever cryptic symbol that follows. When you expect one character like " or ', you see three strange glyphs, maybe drawings in ascii art of your favorite prop's cauliflower ear.
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Hmmm, that happened between my typing it in fine and now...

Serves me right for posting from work!

Comment

Serves you right for working.

Comment

My only live viewing of Blues this year was during their comprehensive defeat at Welford Road.

Then again "fell over the line" wasn't intended to be an overt insult - I use it for non-emphatic results and actually acquired it from an Italian who sometimes posts here...

Comment

Not all of us can enjoy an extended holiday of sunning oneself in Tuscany – how many years is it now…?

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
                              My only live viewing of Blues this year was during their comprehensive defeat at Welford Road.

Then again "fell over the line" wasn't intended to be an overt insult - I use it for non-emphatic results and actually acquired it from an Italian who sometimes posts here...
                              Our other bad result.

But then Leicester are in another league. Literally.

This character thing is really beginning to piss me off

Comment

Test: (;;;’’’::!”£$%^&*()

Comment

Working...
                                X