Rugby - New Year, New Coaches, New Laws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Havak

The combination at 10-12-13 will be Wilko-Flood-Tindall I predict. Flood being the only true 12. I think I would have prefered Geraghty-Wilko-Hipkiss to be honest.
    I'd like to see Lamb at 10. He's improved his tackling, passes like Hodgson, has gas and hands like Cipriani, and has started to 'manage' games well. Seems pretty average on defence though, needs to work on that.

Comment

As does Cipriani from what I've seen of him.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

From which I am guessing Finbar saw both Clermont wingers running through Cipriani in their recent European fixture?

Lamb is very, very unlikely to get the nod. Not because anything you say of him is incorrect - but largely because he plays for the wrong club side. Thats my own personal opinion anyway.

Geragthy is currently arguably in better form for his club than Wilko, Lamb or Cipriani so why is he in the A side? I'll predict to you all now that 'conservative Brian' will pick Wilko as his stand off unless Jonny's leg drops off.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

No, I saw a couple of Bath coves run straight through him. Obviously it wasn't just an off-day for him.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I am getting slack, aren't I?
            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Continued from the last thread...

Having made the decision to contest the charge against him (of his own will, Havak ), surprise suprise: Henson will not face court. Maybe it's not such a bad idea that he take up control of his own publicity, eh?

Also, Ryan Lamb was the English 10 in a cell. Not that anyone seems to care...
              Last edited by Joe Kick Ass; January 11, 2008, 13:59.

Comment

Saw the Blues sort of comfortably beat the Harlequins (in the end) today, now they're 'in control of their destiny' for winning their Heineken Cup group.

What a scary prospect - so much to go wrong...
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Ground breaking news. I scored a try yesterday evening. It's been... mmmhhh... several years since I last scored one. Now I used to score more when I started rugby and played on the wing, but as a hooker, I just increased my try-scoring stats by 100%.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Complimenti ! Was it from your own 22? Stepping off both feet along the way? Leaving otherwise spirited tacklers flummoxed?

And did you pull down any mauls?

Comment

No, I started on their 22 line, which is already far enough for me. I had to dive to ground the ball.
                      And no, I didn't drag any mauls down. Their mauls didn't move forward much, so there was no point in collapsing them. They were a bit silly for that, since they were heavy, but when stopped, they wouldn't try to push but launch a player on the side, who would of course get tackled and that stopped all momentum they could get. It was a team of veteran players, the kind which doesn't run much but can commit more fouls unnoticed in a ruck or maul than you'd think possible. Actually, we spent most of our time in scrums, but with only one prop, we didn't push and I had a flanker serving as loosehead for 2 scrums who wouldn't bend or bind properly because "it hurt" , resulting in the opposing tighthead's head to crash into my ribs when entering the scrum. Damn back row sissy!
                      web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I must check my Sky Italy program guide to see when they're next covering one of your games.

And, one assumes, the opposing team of veterans knows how to drink as well as commit unseen fouls.

Comment

Yes, they could drink all right. They even served us mussels in white wine. Except their ball handling skills were not great and their mussels pot was apparently harder to handle than a ball. As a result, my neighbour got a full pot of mussels and white wine spilled upon him. Great fun, obviously, since there were other mussels and we could eat some anyway. That guy is a lightning rod for bad luck, he's great to have around so bad things happen to him rahter than you.
                          Unfortunately, they weren't really good singers, and so we mastered the last half time.

Comment

Important question: did the mussel pot go forwards or backwards? Obviously, if backwards, play on. If forwards, obviously, a scrum.

I had a plethora of HC matches yesterday. Though not, fortunately, for Havak's sake, what appears to have been a dire effort against a Scots primary school team.

I suffered through Glasgow -v- Viadana. From memory, Viadana are the reigning Italian club champions. Trouble is, most of them - particularly the key playmakers - are refugees from Kiwi sub-provincial outfits. That's the problem with Italian rugby overall. Too many untalented Kiwis. Anyway, I fell asleep in the second half. Apparently Glasgow squeaked home.

Saracens -v- Biaritz was very entertaining. Biaritz are obviously struggling at the moment - judging from what I saw - and only their strong defence kept Sarries in check in the first half. Sarries' second half was outstanding, albeit against a team that quickly lost shape. It's a great shame that A. Farrell has all the speed of a shire horse. He's a very good thinker on the field and has wonderful hands. Sarries play high-risk rugby and are prone to handling the oppo points on a platter. If they keep down their error rate, they could threaten some big teams.

Perpignan -v- Treviso was tediously predictable.

So, Havak, what's all this about rumblings behind the scenes at Welford Road? I heard it referred to by the Sky commentators a week or so ago.

Comment

Forward pot. Should have been a scrum.

Biarritz are indeed struggling. They are unable to launch an attack, be it in the HCup or in the championship. I think the trainers should try something other than defense.

I saw most of Clermont vs. Munster. Lots of indiscipline in Clermont. Lots of unpenalised screens and other illegal moves from the Irish (like methodically rucking the head of a player with the ball nowhere nearby). Munster still managed to lose. Clermont's pack and scrum were a joy to behold. Their winger (Malzieu, not Rougerie) looks great too.

Comment

Presumably the ref missed the forward pot.

I saw all of Clermont -v- Munster. Clermont blew it big time, I thought, after an excellent first half. Dreadful discipline. Ironically, they played their most intelligent rugby when they were down to 13. Adjusted tactics beautifully. But, having allowed Munster the bonus point, the win is probably meaningless in terms of making the next round. As far as I can tell, barring weird results from now on, they seem to be out. All the result of silly penalties within O'Gara's kicking distance.

Yes, Malizeu looks very good.

The Munster hooker will be cited for his footwork to the Clermont head, and, hopefully, suspended for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X