Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Boring Day at NHL Head Office...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Boring Day at NHL Head Office...

Madison Square Garden sues NHL

Associated Press
    9/28/2007 6:02:52 PM

NEW YORK - The NHL violated antitrust laws and is acting like "an illegal cartel" by monopolizing control of team promotions, Madison Square Garden claimed in a lawsuit Friday.

MSG, which owns the New York Rangers, said it filed the suit in U.S. District Court in Manhattan because the NHL would begin fining the organization US$100,000 per day starting Friday if the company did not give the league complete control over the Rangers' Web site and other promotions.

The league is seeking to control the licensing of teams for all commercial purposes and to stop teams from marketing apparel, merchandise and memorabilia, the suit said. MSG asked that a judge order the league to stop limiting team promotions, and it also wants the court to clarify the boundaries of the league's rights.

The company said the NHL had once worked with teams in a legitimate joint venture but had more recently "veered into unlawful behaviour."

"By seeking to control the competitive activities of independent businesses in ways that are not necessary to the functioning of that legitimate joint venture, the NHL has become an illegal cartel," the suit said.

Scott Arthur Eggers, a lawyer for the NHL, said he had no comment.

The lawsuit said the NHL insisted last week that MSG transfer control over the Rangers independently produced Web site, including the "nyrangers.com" address so that the league could convert it into one of 30 "cookie-cutter" club Web sites at "nhl.com."

The lawsuit said MSG had spent years developing the site to market Rangers hockey in competition with other NHL teams. By seizing the site, the NHL would eliminate competition between teams and harm consumers.

"The NHL has no competitive justification for seizing the Rangers Web site, which MSG today uses as a competitive tool to generate and maintain fan interest in the Rangers in competition with other NHL teams," MSG said.

At the start of the playoffs last spring, MSG said it increased its competitive offerings by making Rangers-branded merchandise available through the Rangers Web site rather than a catalogue, and by making Rangers games available to subscribers on its Web site.

The NHL forced MSG to withdraw the efforts when it imposed a penalty of US$100,000 per day, MSG said. When the company refused to pay the fines, the league withheld $200,000 from third-party payments otherwise due MSG, the lawsuit said.

MSG gave in to the league's demands because it did not want to detract from the playoffs and it hoped that it could negotiate a solution to NHL actions it thought were unwise and illegal, it said. "That hope was in vain," the lawsuit said.

WTH?

Oh, and while we're at it, let's throw a rookie under the bus...

NHL hands Downie a 20-game suspension

TSN.ca Staff
    9/28/2007 8:03:30 PM

The National Hockey League has handed down its verdict on the Philedelphia Flyers forward Steve Downie.

NHL Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell announced on Friday that the league has suspended Downie for 20 games for his hit on Ottawa Senators forward Dean McAmmond in Thursday's exhibition game between the two teams. Downie will forfeit $63,101 during his suspension.

''Over the last several months, the league has met with players, coaches, general managers and owners on the subject of hits to the head,'' said Campbell in a statement.

''While all of the stakeholders in our league agree that hitting is an important part of the essence of the NHL game, all were also unanimous in the belief that where a player deliberately targets an opponent's head, the conduct should be subject to review and the possible assessment of supplemental discipline.''

Downie will miss the first 20 regular season and/or playoff games (in addition to the last Flyers' pre-season game - Saturday against the New York Rangers) that he is a member of the Flyers' 23-man roster. In the event the Flyers send Downie to the Philadelphia Phantoms of the AHL, he will be considered automatically inelligible to play pending a review. AHL commissioner David Andrews will determine whether or not to uphold the NHL's suspension, change it, or throw it out all together.

If Downie remains with the Flyers and all 20 games are served in the regular season, he would be eligible to return to the Flyers on Nov. 23 for a home game against the Washington Capitals. The following day, the Flyers visit Ottawa's Scotiabank Place again to face the Senators.

It is the fifth longest suspension handed down by the league. New York Islanders' Chris Simon holds the longest penalty - 25 games - for his two-handed stick attack to the face of Ryan Hollweg of the New York Rangers last season.

''It is clear that, while Mr. Downie is not a repeat offender, all of the other factors identified as being particularly relevant in determining the appropriateness of discipline were involved in Downie's hit on Mr. McAmmond," Campbell added. "The hit was deliberate, dangerous and has no place in our league."

Senators general manager Bryan Murray was content with the league's decision.

''The primary concern of our organization was, and continues to be, the health of Dean McAmmond,'' Murray said. ''We feel the number of games of the suspension is appropriate, and the NHL has sent the correct message to address the severity of hits to the head like this one.''

McAmmond, who was released from hospital on Wednesday, also offered his opinion on the league's decision.

''I feel the ruling is strong enough to prevent these things from happening in the future," he said. "At this point, the NHL needs to a make a statement to try to protect players, and I hope that a suspension of this length will do that successfully.''

The Flyers were leading 2-1 in the game when, at the 2:39 mark of the second period, Downie skated the length of the ice and took a run at McAmmond. The NHL veteran just released the puck while circling behind the Flyers' net and was met by Downie coming around the other side. Downie also appeared to leave his feet as he flattened the veteran. The jarring hit came moments after Downie was checked into the glass by Ottawa's Christoph Schubert in the Senators' zone.

McAmmond was carried off on a stretcher, and the Senators announced earlier this week that there was a concussion and some muscle damage but no fractures.

He also suffered a concussion after a hit by Anaheim defenceman Chris Pronger in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup final last June. He's now had three concussions in four years.

Downie gained a reputation at the junior level for some nasty play, but following Thursday's game said the hit wasn't pre-meditated, nor did he intend to go for McAmmond's head.

Ugly hit? Yes. However, no stick swinging, no broken necks (thankfully). It was a hit, not a foul that would have prosecutors outside the league looking at the case.

I would gather that his status as a non-roster player making a stupid, reckless play against an established player is factoring in somewhere. As is the leagues desire to cut down on 'head shots.'
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Downie deserved every game of that suspension.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

How many 4 game suspensions handed out in the NFL for actions on the field?

20 in the NBA?

40 in MLB?

Those would be ~25% of the schedule.

The NHL is going overboard, IMO. Especially since this was not an outrageous event. It was a very definite foul, but not a quarter of a season worth... especially considering Pronger got 1 game twice during the playoffs last year for far worse fouls.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It was a despicable hit. A kind of hit that is getting alarmingly common.

Enough is enough.

Here's hoping for a new standard this season. 20 games every time you charge, leave your feet, and aim for the head.

The Wheel of Justice is inconsistent, but that's only cause Campbell goes too easy too often.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Yes, it was a nasty hit.

However, 20 games for a body check is absurd while Bertuzzi is still wearing a uniform.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)

Comment

You can't use Campbell's inconsistency as an excuse. Bertuzzi should never play in the NHL again. 20 games is appropriate for a hit like this.

It's funny though: Bertuzzi punched a guy in the head who couldn't see it, Downie shoulderchecked a guy in the head who couldn't see it.

Why is one a few days and the other a lot longer? You don't seem to be consistent.

Comment

Campbell is being consistent. He's been flattered by McGowan once too often and it's going to his head. He's now tossing out games like candy (unless your name is Pronger and it is the playoffs).

How many other leagues give players quarter season suspensions for in-game fouls?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

You call something that could have very easily paralyzed and ended this guy's career a mere "in-game foul"?

This conversation is disgusting me. Talk about lack of respect. I'm out.

Comment

Yes, I call a body-check an in-game foul since he could be called for charging.

It's not going into the stands and punching out fans.

It's not jumping someone from behind and breaking his neck.

It's not swinging a stick like a battle-axe.

It was a body-check.

Show me a body-check that ever got someone 5 games, let alone 20. Pronger got 1 game last year in the playoffs for throwing an elbow (against the rules) and another 1 game for an earlier check from behind into the boards (also against the rules). In both cases, Pronger got the head.

In the NFL this year there has been a broken neck. Not even a flag on the play.

These sports are rough, and not for the weak of stomach.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

To be fair the broken neck was as a result of the player whose neck was broken making a tackle, so there was no foul to be called
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Both were leading with helmets, yes? A no-no, no?

Downie skated from the blue-line (at least) with McAmmond in the cross-hairs.

Had he missed the head, it would be being spoken of as a hit of the year. McAmmond had his head down and got his mellon smoked.

It could be argued as charging.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

I'm not even sure you can call him for charging.

The NHL does not say what the penalty was for, they just say 'match penalty' which isn't accurate either. It was 5 and a game from what I read.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

The player who broke his neck was entirely at fault, if anyone was. The tackler is expected to have full control over his tackle, while often the ball carrier will not, or will not be fully aware of the tackler.

Comment

Either way, why are you surprised that the NHL more seriously punished a rookie nobody in the preseason (and start of season) as opposed to veterans in the playoffs? That does not shock me in the least...

Comment

A quarter of a season?

Yes, I thought the fact Downie is a non-roster player who destroyed an established player factors into it.

But a quarter of a season?

Show me the comparables.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X