This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kontiki

As for the stats, my preferrence would be to stick with what we had last year. I think SOG is a useless stat, and I prefer to stick with offensive numbers rather than stuff like PIM. The thing with penalties, too, is that especially with the now not-so-new rules, alot of the PIMs is for crap like hooking and holding, so it's not so much power forwards that come out ahead. Look at someone like Naslund, for example - last year he had 54 PMs, and 66 the year before. And Selanne had 82 PMs last year!
    --although it would add a dimension to a guy that drops the gloves every now and again-- Consider that you might have to think about a player like a Sean Avery. Sure his 48 points might not be that much for a forward but the added dimension -- he could singlehandedly win PM for you some weeks!!

-- LIke I said before I would have preferred if stats like hits or blocked shots could be used cause then people could employ some strategy but thats not possible-- Now with 4 scoring and plus minus as the categories, your choices will all be offensive players. That my last comment on that since it seems like people are pretty set and I don't care THAT much-- Too bad though since PIM would be interesting

I haven't sent any invites out.
    I saw the NYE thread in the main OT-- I had not come in the sports subforum for about 2-3 weeks-- I would have been a regular in here when the seaon started though

For purely selfish reasons, I vote we start the draft on the 15th and have a strict 12 hour BPAY.
    One date is as good as the next to me and if "BPAY" means that you have to draft in your 12 hours or lose your pick or some other penalty , I am fine with that as long as I can pre-select sometimes-- I assume that if we are four spots away from my pick I could send a list of 5 players to someone with instructions to take the highest one left?
    Last edited by Flubber; August 31, 2007, 11:49.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
      One date is as good as the next to me and if "BPAY" means that you have to draft in your 12 hours or lose your pick or some other penalty , I am fine with that as long as I can pre-select sometimes-- I assume that if we are four spots away from my pick I could send a list of 5 players to someone with instructions to take the highest one left?
      BAPAY (sorry, my typo in the first place) is Best Available Player at Yahoo. Yahoo has the players ranked based on past and (I believe) expected performance. If you get BAPAYed, you simply get the next highest ranked player according to Yahoo, regardless of position. Sometimes, though, we will make a minor tweak if, say, the person getting BAPAYed has all the goalies they need and the next highest ranked player is a goalie. In that case, we may take the next highest ranked skater.

And of course, you can always send a list of picks to someone to make for you. That happens multiple times every season.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I may have some internet access intermitently from Sept. 4-7 when I'm in Switzerland. Probably not enought to effectively draft, though, but I'll at least check in and see what's up.
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

BAPAY (sorry, my typo in the first place) is Best Available Player at Yahoo. Yahoo has the players ranked based on past and (I believe) expected performance. If you get BAPAYed, you simply get the next highest ranked player according to Yahoo, regardless of position. Sometimes, though, we will make a minor tweak if, say, the person getting BAPAYed has all the goalies they need and the next highest ranked player is a goalie. In that case, we may take the next highest ranked skater.
          Seems like a sensible way to handle delay. I bet most people wouldn't want to be BAPAYED but if they are would not be too bad.

And of course, you can always send a list of picks to someone to make for you. That happens multiple times every season.
          I figured it might. When do we decide draft order?
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
            I figured it might. When do we decide draft order?
            Typically once everyone is signed up (or at least confirmed), maybe a day or two before the draft to give people a chance to think about their picks.

Comment

OK folks, I'm out of here. I'd love it if you could hold off drafting until the 15th (I'll be back early evening and can jump straight into a draft then), but if you can't, you can't. I'll definitely check in sometime around the 4th or 5th to see what's up.

Comment

Does anyone mind starting the draft on the 15th?

A possible consequence would be that we might not be finished drafting by the 29th and we might have to start the season with incomplete rosters.

This could work if we are through 10 or so rounds (of 14) by adding scrubs (players from the bottom rankings) to fill out our rosters so the season can start. As you draft a player you may then drop a scrub and add your drafted player. We might freeze roster changes other than adding drafted players until the draft is finished.

There are the 2 games on the 29th and 30th between Ducks and Kings and then nothing til the 3rd. We should be finished before the 3rd.

Edit: I think you can start the season with incomplete rosters, now that I think about it. We may not have to add the lower ranked players, just a roster freeze until the draft is done.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Managers so far:
                  Tingkai
                  Asher
                  Kontiki
                  mrboo123
                  notyoueither
                  Sparrowhawk
                  Guynemer
                  Imran Siddiqui
                  Flubber
                  Ninot

Spare, snoopy369

It would be nice to have 1 or 2 more.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Either date is fine with me.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

Does anyone mind starting the draft on the 15th?

That'll be fine with me.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Whenever.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

/me is also largely indifferent

"Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

I was noodling around with a test league and discovered that commissioners can now be changed.

I went ahead and set up the AHL. You can access the league at this url:
                            Yahoo Fantasy Hockey. Create or join a NHL league and manage your team with live scoring, stats, scouting reports, news, and expert advice.

League name is Apolyton 07-08
                            ID: 11073
                            pwd: Ming

People can sign up.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Calamitous Intent shall pwn all.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Go Bowties!
                                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                                X