No announcement yet.

NHL Off-season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the prospect of trading Horcs, but not necessarily for Kubina...

Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, right?
    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Well, Lowe could do the simple thing and re-sign Hejda.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by cinch
        Also, I didn't see this 'til now, but TSN is reporting that there's a report from TEAM 1260 that the Oil signed Michael Nylander.

Uhm, that's pretty good, I suppose...
        Huh? Nylander went to Washington.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Habs get Hamrlik.

Woooooooo [/feigned]
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Big Bert is back with Burke. Bliss or bust?
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

Huh? Nylander went to Washington.
              You missed a lot of drama over the last 18 hours.

A very reputable radio personality (Bob Stauffer) reported on HF boards that he was told by a solid source that the Oilers had him. That was late last night after a long day.

TSN picked it up, reporting that it was a report from the journalist/broadcaster. 'Everyone' was reporting it from there.

This morning there is no confirmation from the Oilers, but another station reported numbers and term (22 mil, 4 year). People start hearing rumblings about Washington. Sources in the Oilers still thought they had him. By 5pm Eastern the Capitals had the signing on their site.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth begins... I'm listening to Stauffer right now. He stood up and took the bullet ('I was wrong, kick me') and they are having a conversation about sources and when to report a story.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Habs get Smolinski, 1 year, 2 million.

I'm quite happy with that. He's the type of player we need.
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Vancouver better step up and get some offense.

Comment

So much for reports of impending crisis in Calgary.

Iggy is up for a 5 year $35 extention and now Regehr has reupped for 5 years $25.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

LA signed Calder, Handzus, Nagy AND Preissing!

Jeez!

(Lowe is a few days away from a lynching...)
                      "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                      "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                      "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by cinch
                        Also: The Rangers have signed BOTH Chris Drury AND Scott Gomez.

We're back in the pre-cap world, folks!
                        Yeah, reminder me again why we had a lock out.
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

So they couldn't sign them with Rafalski and Schneider while keeping Nylander for the 4th line.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

The 'big' clubs are using money well with the cap.

Front loading contracts allows them to pump up players ego and allay fears of injury on earnings.

Also, you can sign a guy to 10, 10, 5, 3, 2 for 5 years 30 mil and if they want to move on to another player in 3 years, they can offer a high cap contract to low budget teams to get rid of dead weight.

So, The Rangers, Red Wings, etc think they may have defeated the cap. Thing is, there has to be a buying market in other clubs 3 years from now.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

The Oilers get more drama.

They are taking Nylander (and maybe the Caps) to the league,

Oilers cry foul over Nylander deal
                              Canadian Press
                              7/3/2007 7:18:24 PM

EDMONTON (CP) - The Edmonton Oilers have complained to the NHL that they had Michael Nylander before the Washington Capitals did.

In a statement Tuesday, the Oilers said Nylander had signed with the Oilers on Sunday, only to then sign a US$19.5-million, four-year contract with the Capitals the next day.

To make matters worse, the Oilers say they held off going after other potential free agents because they thought they had Nylander in the bag. The 34-year-old Swede was one of the top catches on the free-agent market, setting career highs in goals (26), assists (57) and points (83) with the New York Rangers last season.

"On Sunday, July 1, 2007, Kevin Lowe, Oilers general manager, and Mr. Mike Gillis, certified agent for Michael Nylander, negotiated and agreed to a multi-year NHL Standard Players Contract, starting in 2007-08. Mr. Gillis confirmed same to the Oilers in writing," the Oilers' statement read Tuesday.

"The Oilers then proceeded with preparations to announce Mr. Nylander's contract agreement on July 2, and concurrently continued with the process of negotiating with other free agents based upon Mr. Nylander being an important roster ingredient for the future.

"However, while the Oilers were expecting the returned signed agreements from Mr. Nylander and Mr. Gillis, the Oilers discovered through public announcements made mid-afternoon on July 2, that Mr. Nylander had subsequently entered into a long-term contract with the Capitals.

"The Oilers can find no precedent for such conduct in our history. The Oilers are examining and pursuing every course of action available in the best interest of the team and our fans.

"For legal reasons, the Edmonton Oilers hockey club will not be discussing the details any further at this time."

A lawyer for the Oilers could not provide contract details on the Edmonton deal.

Calls to both Lowe and Gillis by The Canadian Press were not immediately returned Tuesday. The NHL also did not have an immediate response. A call into Caps GM George McPhee was also not returned.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Reports are Hasek has agreed to a 1-yr deal with Detroit worth ~$2M plus up to $2M in mostly playoff-related bonuses.

Wings re-signed Jiri Hudler for 2yrs, $2.02M.

Sens promote John Paddock to coach.
                                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                                X