No announcement yet.

NBA Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMO, there isn't that huge of a player disparity. Rather, the huge disparity is in experience. The Cavs just haven't figured out how to play consistently at a Championship level with their lineup. The Spurs have that all figured out down to a fine point.

F.e., the Cavs just "discovered" Gibson during the Detroit series and haven't figured out how to use him. They had Pavlovic starting instead of Gibson, and they suffered in the first two Finals games for it. For another, Varejao is perfectly capable of playing championship-level ball, but hasn't figured out how to do it yet.
    Last edited by DanS; June 13, 2007, 13:37.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I disagree. I think there is a disparity in both talent and experience. I think the Pistons are a better team than the Cavs and would be a better match for the Spurs (like they'd win a couple games). I'll grant the Cavs were the better team in the ECF - they played good D, and their large guards match up well against the Pistons (compared to Chicago). But if Billups, Hamilton and Prince had played a bit better, I think the Pistons would have advanced.

Was Gibson overachieving in the ECF, or is he going to be playing like that in the future? As for Sideshow Bob, I saw the end of the game and the spin move he did, missing the shot. Hardly championship-level ball - it was crunch time, and the ball should have been in LeBron's hands.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• While Gibson clearly needed more minutes, it was clearly a mistake to take him out of his comfort zone by starting him. Puts the weight of the world on his shoulders and he goes, what, 1-for-10?

Sad lapses by Varejao: in the last few minutes, he flashed open to the basket with only Tony Parker on him. All he has to do is catch the damn pass and it clanks of his hand and out of bounds.

Then the spin-move off the pass from LeBron. It was definitely a panic shot. In the post-game, LeBron said he passed it to him expecting to get it back.

The Cavs are simply not ready for prime time.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Hughes was out. If you're not starting Gibson, then who are you going to put in? Damon Jones? Eric Snow? Sure it's a lot of pressure on a rookie, but you're down 2-0, you're at home, he's the best player of the possible subs. OK, maybe you start a vet, sub Gibson in after a couple minutes. Or maybe Gibson hits some early shots, gets confidence, and has a good game.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
            While Gibson clearly needed more minutes, it was clearly a mistake to take him out of his comfort zone by starting him. Puts the weight of the world on his shoulders and he goes, what, 1-for-10?
            The "mistake" was not expanding his comfort zone during the season. Of course, this is understandable, considering that Gibson is a rookie.

Sad lapses by Varejao: in the last few minutes, he flashed open to the basket with only Tony Parker on him. All he has to do is catch the damn pass and it clanks of his hand and out of bounds.

Then the spin-move off the pass from LeBron. It was definitely a panic shot. In the post-game, LeBron said he passed it to him expecting to get it back.
            I agree. He'll have to learn and become comfortable in those situations. It's his 2nd season in the league and he's a nervous nellie kind of player anyway.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Avalon: The Cavs were better than your Pistons. Period. Trying to rehabilitate the Pistons.

What was the point differential in the games that the Cavs lost to the Pistons?

Comment

• DanS, the Cavs were better in that series, but the Pistons were the top seed in the East. I think they had the better overall team. If the ECF were replayed, and the Pistons were firing on all cylinders, they advance IMO. Before the series started, could you say that 4 Piston starters were going to have a bad series and not play as well as they had been? Could you say that Gibson was going to be en fuego?

But there's no do over, there's only next year. Could be the Cavs will be the top seed and the favorite. Joe D's not ready to blow up the Pistons yet, and I have faith in him. I just hope the players will have a change in attitude and play with more urgency in the next playoffs. They didn't this year, and it cost them. Maybe they could have eliminated Chicago sooner. They never really got a big lead on the Cavs in any game to see how they'd respond.

Comment

• The Pistons have better talent and a lot more experience, but they just played like crap. From the end of Game 3 vs the Bulls onward, it was almost like they were thinking ahead to the finals.

When 4 starters play that poorly for 6 games, they're not "having a bad series." They are being pwned. Give the Cavs their due credit for playing handnose defense and taking the Pistons out of their game plan.

I'm still trying to figure out WTF happened to Chauncey Billups. Boy, did I misjudge him...
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Well Its over!!! Big party all weekend for this boring city. The spurs Rocked the cavs arena. A simple we still hate you will suffice
                    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

• Getting swept - now that's being pwnd.

Comment

Working...
                      X