Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad it's an early night...need to wake up at 7am tomorrow to get to Detroit in time for the game.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
      Last time NJ went to the finals, they didn't sell out UNTIL the finals, IIRC.
      Like I said, it's the size of the fanbase, really... a team moved right smack in the middle of an area that had a following for 3 teams (really 2 and a half... not many Islander fans in NJ) and that's what happens.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Like I said, it's the size of the fanbase, really... a team moved right smack in the middle of an area that had a following for 3 teams (really 2 and a half... not many Islander fans in NJ) and that's what happens.
        Yes, this is clearly a problem of having so few people in the greater NY area and has nothing to do with the style of game they play.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

WOO HOO! Wings win 3-1, up 2-0!

Hope you enjoyed the game, Asher.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Are we neverminding the fact that the area with 3 teams has the population of more than half of Canada?
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

In Imran's defence, the population isn't that big a factor. Toronto has enough people, in theory, to support another team. But if you put one in now, there's no way it could compete with the Leafs.

Having said that, it probably didn't help that the team was put pretty much in the middle of nowhere. They may build their support a bit once they move to downtown Newark.
                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

What do they do for revenue then? I wouldn't have thought NJ would be one of the struggling clubs.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Various observations:

1) That first period was single-handedly the most pathetic period of hockey I have ever seen.
                    2) I liked the second period.
                    3) The third period was very weak.

Playfair must go. If Sutter doesn't fire him, Sutter must go.

Other observations:
                    1) US Customs officials are utterly retarded
                    2) The Joe Louis Arena is godawful and poorly designed (1.5 hour wait for Will Call?? 25+ minute wait to use the URINAL?? WTF!)
                    3) Detroit Fans are 100x more pleasant than Buffalo ones

Comment

Also, Detroit's architecture is hideous!

WTF is this? It looked pseudo-spaceage 1960s-era, but then it's made out of ribbed concrete?
                      Attached Files

Comment

The Will Call line stretched 3/4 of the way around Joe Louis...
                        Attached Files

Comment

The environment was very disappointing. It is nothing like Calgary in a playoff series. There were plenty of empty seats around, not that many people in jerseys...and a very concerted effort to get everyone to wear red by handing out free red t-shirts. And giving away towels as is the trend these days...

Just weak...
                          Attached Files

Comment

In keeping with Detroit's ghetto theme, here is their ghetto scoreboard.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Kipper is still the man.

But not enough to overcome the rest of the team's assclownery.
                              Attached Files

Comment

McKenzie: Flames should think of coaching change
                                Bob McKenzie

4/15/2007 7:33:17 PM

We've seen how parity has played out in the early going through every series in these Stanley Cup Finals - with the exception of the series between the Detroit Red Wings and Calgary Flames.

Now let me get two big disclaimers out of the way before I address what's wrong with the Flames.

First, I am not offering any predictions here or going by any 'insider information.' Secondly, I rarely, if ever, want to throw a head coach under the bus. The ultimate responsibility of a team's performance lies with the players on the ice.

Having said that, if I were general manager Darryl Sutter and the Flames' ownership, I would look long and hard at replacing Jim Playfair going into Game 3.

Is it dramatic? Absolutely.

But if you looked at the way this Calgary Flames team showed up in Detroit in their first two games, they weren't even there. They weren't playing with discipline, they weren't playing for their coach and they weren't playing for each other.

You have to look at this from a practical point as well.

If the Flames - who just squeaked into the playoffs - lose this series in four or five games with Playfair behind the bench, do you honestly believe he will be behind the bench next year? I don't think so.

Now perhaps the Red Wings will make every team they play look this way by reducing their opposition to tatters. And perhaps this is to be expected, because the Flames have been a terrible road team and you're never really in trouble in a playoff series until you lose on home ice.

But how the Flames lost their first two games is almost as important as the fact that they lost them.

If I was Darryl Sutter, I would put my best foot forward. The best candidate to go behind the bench right now for the Calgary Flames is their general manager.

I've been ****ing saying this since the first month of the season.

Please...

Comment

Working...
                                X