NFL: Chargers Fire Schottenheimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL: Chargers Fire Schottenheimer

Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Schottenheimer and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith have been having disagreements over staffing after losing a number of assistants. Dean Spanos, the team president, told Schottenheimer on Monday that it wasn't going to work between him and Smith.

Three days after the Chargers melted down in a stunning 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Spanos decided that bringing Schottenheimer back for the final year of his contract gave San Diego its best chance to win.

Schottenheimer, though, declined the team's offer of a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million, with a $1 million buyout.

"Right now, I wasn't comfortable accepting it," Schottenheimer told the Associated Press shortly after the season. He would have earned more than $3 million in 2007.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

I thought he was safe, but after every other coach left SD, I guess the owner thought cleaning house was the way to go. Bum outcome for Schott. Wonder how SD will rebound... wonder if any team that finished with such a great record has cleaned house coaching wise in this way.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

I'm shocked. I wonder if Jerry Jones is shocked?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Tough break.

BTW, why isn't this in the coaching changes thread?

Different sport, but the Pistons firing Rick Carlisle who won 50 games in both of his seasons comes to mind. He was successful, but Joe D didn't think he'd get them any further. Can't argue with the result - Larry Brown got them a championship and another Finals appearance.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I would take Schottenheimer in a heartbeat.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Just heard this on the radio. So it's officially the AJ Smith show in San Diego. Of course, the message here is: Expect Rivera to be interviewed. My guess is that Smith already knows who he's hiring.

It's a plum job, one where you can win now. Great young talent, living in the OC, get to play the NFC Central next year...

Should be interesting.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            I'm shocked. I wonder if Jerry Jones is shocked?
            I'd be. Maybe Wade Phillips will fail his physical .

I'm sure he'd prefer this to happen before he made his pick.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's a plum job, one where you can win now. Great young talent, living in the OC, get to play the NFC Central next year...
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The shocker. Wonder where Schottenheimer's going.

The people who wanted to dump him after the Pats loss were retarded. It's like he never had a 14-2 season.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I would take Schottenheimer in a heartbeat.

I guess you're content with one SuperBowl victory, then...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

This is a heartless, gutless, chicken-bleep move by San Diego.
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

San Diego Chicken-bleep?
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

When my wife heard this on sportscenter she turned to me and asked, "weren't the chargers real good this year?"

Hmmm, (no wife jokes please)
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Spanos has said he'll interview people who interviewed with other teams already. Rivera is NOT a favorite, since the Bolts play a 3-4 defense and Rivera has only played and coached in the 4-3. Norv Turner is an early favorite among this group.

However, the first new candidate seems to have emerged..
                          POSTED 10:41 a.m. EST, February 13, 2007

REX RYAN A CHARGERS CANDIDATE

One name that quickly has emerged as a potential candidate for the sudden vacancy in San Diego is Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

Ryan, the son of former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan and the twin brother of Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, has spent the last eight years with the Ravens. He replaced Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator when Nolan was hired by the 49ers.

Look for Ryan to be one of the first guys interviewed for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                            When my wife heard this on sportscenter she turned to me and asked, "weren't the chargers real good this year?"

Hmmm, (no wife jokes please)
                            She watches Sportscenter and knows something about football?

Comment

And she cooked for us during the Rah Super Bowl party.

Comment

Working...
                              X