No announcement yet.

Rank Today's Hockey Goaltenders, Top 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tingkai-- do you have reading comprehension problems? I ranked Brodeur as the number two goalie in a close decision for me. Broduer of a few years ago would have been #1 and he might yet again be the best around.

OH and GAA and wins are very much linked to team performance.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

Meanwhile, the two of you are trying to flob the crazy idea that the guy who went to the finals and lost, is better than the guy who went to the final and won. Yeah, right.
      So if winning the finals is your indicator why aren't you mentiong Cam Ward as the best?

Also Giguere? As Asher points out, he loses points for getting pulled from a playoff series. I know Bryzgalov played exceptionally well but anyone in contention for best around has to at a minimum be the go-to guy for their team.
      Last edited by Flubber; December 22, 2006, 16:57.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai

So the top five goalies today are:

Brodeur
        Hasek
        Giguere
        Kippersoft
        Turco

(Huet and Nabokov are contenders, but I'd give the nod to Turco cause he's playing more games)

Lets talke a look at your rankings. Brodeur as #1, I can't really quibble with . .. as I said repeatedly its close between he and Kipper for me.

Hasek?? Great history as a goalie and putting up some impressive numbers in wins, GAA and shutouts. While a lot of that is him of course, the fact that his sv% is not in the top 10 tells the rest-- he has a very good team in front of him. Also I question his durability. ASk yourself this . . . would you trade Kipper for Hasek if the contracts amounts were equal and theterm was just for the rest of this season. I wouldn't .

Giguere-- see above-- AS recently as last year, he wasn't their go-to guy. I can't value that and given how much you emphasize winning in the playoffs, I don't see how you can either

Turco?? Sorry-- I like him in the regularv season but on reflection, look at these playoff numbers

Career Playoff Stats
        Season Team GP MIN W L GA SA SO GA Avg SV %
        2005-2006 Stars 5 319 1 4 18 136 0 3.39 .868
        2003-2004 Stars 5 325 1 4 18 119 0 3.32 .849
        2002-2003 Stars 12 798 6 6 25 310 0 1.88 .919
        2000-2001 Stars 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.00 .000

NHL Totals: 22 1,442 8 14 61 565 0 2.54 .892

THATS 8 wins 14 losses and stoppin less than 90% of pucks in the playoffs. I have a tough time wanting to hitch my horse to that.

I'll take Huet's limited playoff experience over that

Huet

Career Playoff Stats
        2005-2006 Canadiens 6 385 2 4 15 212 0 2.33 .929

NHL Totals: 6 385 2 4 15 212 0 2.33 .929

Comment

I agree, Flubber.

Tingkai's brash opinions and rankings don't even jive with his own laughable criteria. He's crazy.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Giguere

Career Playoff Stats
            2005-2006 Ducks 6 318 3 3 18 132 0 3.40 .864
            2002-2003 Ducks 21 1,407 15 6 38 697 5 1.62 .945

NHL Totals: 27 1,725 18 9 56 829 5 1.95 .932

These numbers show one fabulous playoff run (.945 is exceptional) and one where he could not be counted upon.`There is no goalie in the NHL right now playing regularly and stopping pucks at an .864 clip

Lets throw Kippers playoff number in the mix

Career Playoff Stats
            2005-2006 Flames 7 427 3 4 16 202 0 2.24 .921
            2003-2004 Flames 26 1,655 15 11 51 710 5 1.85 .928
            2001-2002 Sharks 1 7 0 0 0 2 0 0.00 1.000
            2000-2001 Sharks 3 149 1 1 5 79 0 2.01 .937

NHL Totals: 37 2,240 19 16 72 993 5 1.93 .928

Lets see . . . his career regular season average is .920 (only 5 goalies are exceeding that this season) and then in the playoffs his WORST year was a .921. So the guy is no choker thats for sure

Hasek

Career Playoff Stats
            2001-2002 Red Wings 23 1,454 16 7 45 562 6 1.86 .920
            2000-2001 Sabres 13 833 7 6 29 347 1 2.09 .916
            1999-2000 Sabres 5 301 1 4 12 147 0 2.39 .918
            1998-1999 Sabres 19 1,217 13 6 36 587 2 1.77 .939
            1997-1998 Sabres 15 947 10 5 32 514 1 2.03 .938
            1996-1997 Sabres 3 153 1 1 5 68 0 1.96 .926
            1994-1995 Sabres 5 309 1 4 18 131 0 3.49 .863
            1993-1994 Sabres 7 483 3 4 13 261 2 1.61 .950
            1992-1993 Sabres 1 44 1 0 1 24 0 1.34 .958
            1991-1992 Blackhawks 3 157 0 2 8 70 0 3.05 .886
            1990-1991 Blackhawks 3 68 0 0 3 39 0 2.62 .923

NHL Totals: 97 5,971 53 39 202 2,750 12 2.03 .926

He is worse than Kipper on Sv% and GAA but some of his teams were not that great. Frankly I think these are great numbers-- I just question his durability and desire . Note also that his last playoff game was in 2002.

I also looked at the number of a bunch of others and guess what, the people we have been talking about are the best out there. The more I look at it the "best"
            right now on the criteria I am using-- ie the goalie I would most want for my playoff contending team-- the best are clearly Brodeur, Hasek* and Kipper. Granted Kipper doesn't have a cup but he has been so eeirily consistent.

The others?

Turco-- a playoff flop
            Giguere- one amazing playoff, one flop
            Huet-- aspiring to greatness but has to win at least one playoff series to be taken seriously

Nabokov-- .912 career % is lower than most-- sat last year's playoffs

Vokoun?-- good numbers overall but one losing playoff appearance wherwe he was stellar-- He's like Huet with more years under his belt but slightly worse stats

Miller-- PLayoff and regular season he stops slightly less than 91% of pucks his way- that just doesn't compete with the top 3.

Khabiblin, Toskala?, Mason ?, Rolosen, Luongo?

After all that and after looking at a fair number of stats and reconsidering everything, my top 5 would be

1. Kipper-- consistency personified
            2. Brodeur-- dead-heatish but I am not appointing joint no. 1s
            3. Huet-- largely on this season
            4. Giguere-- I remember his great year and forgive one bad playoff stint
            5. Hasek* just casue I can't leave him out. He would be #3 except that I don't trust him to be there when the team needs him. I just don't believe a GM would give up Huet or Giguere for him and frankly I have my doubts that the GMs with the next 5 or 6 best goalies would either ( but some of that is thoughts of next year which I am trying to discount)

Comment

Hey Flubber, any comments on Telqvist?

You have to be pretty good to shut down the Ducks for 50 minutes (and counting).
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Telqvist shuts out Anaheim.

Again, Tyson Nash for Telqvist was a fleecing.

Comment

Fleecing. You really don't get it do ya.

I'd explain it to you, but it is the holiday season so I'm rather busy. I'll explain it after Christmas.
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

What I do get is nobody expects Tyson Nash to ever make the big leagues again, and Telqvist has comparable stats to Raycroft right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      Hey Flubber, any comments on Telqvist?

You have to be pretty good to shut down the Ducks for 50 minutes (and counting).
                      Yup great night for him-- He's capable of a good night

But with that he is UP to an .899 save percentage. Wow such excellence!!

Asher what you don't understand is that looking at the 3 goalies they had, I wouldn't have blamed them if they had dumped Telqvist or Aubin for nothing just to rid themselves of the salary. Neither has shown themselves to be a superior goaltender although either can have a good night.

I'm sure you saw Telqvist versus the Flames. "Awful" was the most used adjective. IN any event, I am done on that topic. Neither of the players involved are significant to warrant ANY more attention from me

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                        Yup great night for him-- He's capable of a good night

But with that he is UP to an .899 save percentage. Wow such excellence!!
                        Raycroft is sitting pretty has .893 save perventage.
                        Aubin is at an .882 save percentage.

I understand that Leafs had 3 goalies and had to get rid of one. My point was with so many teams lacking goaltenders even of Telqvist's quality (LA, I'm looking at you), they could've scored a much better deal than frickin' Tyson Nash.

Comment

When evaluating goaltenders, I think we need to look beyond just individual numbers and focus at a more important question. What goaltender could best keep a pathetic franchise such as Calgary afloat?

I think Kiprusoff has proven that he is up to this task. Without him Calgary would be nothing. None of these other goaltenders could keep Calgary's proverbial head above water. I'm not sure where these other goaltenders would fall in line, but Kipper is definitely the best in the league right now.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            When evaluating goaltenders, I think we need to look beyond just individual numbers and focus at a more important question. What goaltender could best keep a pathetic franchise such as Calgary afloat?

I think Kiprusoff has proven that he is up to this task. Without him Calgary would be nothing. None of these other goaltenders could keep Calgary's proverbial head above water. I'm not sure where these other goaltenders would fall in line, but Kipper is definitely the best in the league right now.

Merry Christmas to you too Sava

Comment

While Sava isn't quite diplomatic, he makes a good point.

Kiprusoff is the MVP in Calgary and a huge reason they're as successful as they are. Look at Calgary's record before and after Kiprusoff.

Comment

Kippersoft is sure playing consistently these days, consistently bad. Six games in a row with a +3.00 GAA.

Meanwhile, the old guys keep getting the job done. Brodeur is third for GAA, number 2 in wins, fifth in Sv% and tied for first with that other geezer, Hasek, for SOs.
                                Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
                                X