Rank Today's Hockey Goaltenders, Top 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank Today's Hockey Goaltenders, Top 5

1. Miikka Kiprusoff (Calgary): On his "off" nights he's still a top goaltender. A complete workhorse, steals countless games, never gets rattled.
    2. Cristobal Huet (Montreal): Still has some consistency problems, probably can't play 99% of games a la Kipper.
    3. Martin Brodeur (New Jersey): Another workhorse. Has had some pretty "off" offnights this season, but usually is stellar.
    4. Marty Turco (Dallas): Really outstanding this year, plays a lot of games as well. Pretty consistent.
    5. Jean-Sebastian Giguere (Anaheim): He's way too inconsistent to rate higher.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Hmm....

I'll take your top 2

then

3: Vokoun: Most under recognized goalie in the league
    4: Brodeur
    5: Miller: My personal opinion, I think this kid has the goods
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Vokoun gets LOTS of respect out west, but he's been too injured as of late to contend.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Rick DiPietro!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

What about the Dominator? His GAA of 1.96 currently leads the league.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

He's too old/injury prone to count these days.

Plus last night he sucked so much ass he can't count.

Comment

I didn't know this was an age-qualified thing. If he can stay healthy (I know, that's a big "if"), then I think he's still one of the best.

OK, so he had an off night. (Good for my BP that I missed the game.)

Hopefully with the Wings using him less, he'll last the season.

What's going on in San Jose? Both their goalies are in the top 10 GAA, Nabokov at 3rd with 2.03 in 17 gms, Toskala at 6th with 2.15 in 18 gms.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I don't really follow enough games to rate the top 5, but what about Cam Ward? I haven't seen him this season, but he was pretty good last spring, no?

Also, I sure as hell know who won't be making it on the list and that's Johan Hedberg. The only other dude I see with any regularity (Lehthonen) is not quite as bad, but nothing spectacular either.
                XBox Live: VovanSim
                xbox.com (login required)
                Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                Spore page

Comment

Ward has sucked this season. I was stupid enough to draft him was my #1 goalie in the Poly pool...

I didn't know this was an age-qualified thing.

It's somewhat implied by "Today's top goaltenders". Since Hasek can't put in as many minutes as the others in the list, it knocks him down several pegs. That and he's had some consistency problems.

Nabokov/Toskala are both excellent this season, but time will tell how they handle being a sole #1 starter. Look at Manny Fernandez for instance.

Comment

Hasek's save percentage also isn't that hot. It seems his low GAA is more the product of great defense rather than great goaltending (though I'm not saying he sucks). Currently Hasek is 19th in the NHL in Save%.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

It's somewhat implied by "Today's top goaltenders". Since Hasek can't put in as many minutes as the others in the list, it knocks him down several pegs. That and he's had some consistency problems.
                      When I consider the question, I take it as " IF I was a GM, which goalie would I choose"-- and I assume that I want the goalie right now for a cup contending team , don't care about two seasons hence and salary is a non-issue.

My list would probably be somewhat like Asher's although I don't know that I could rank Huet #2 since he has only been this good for 2 years really now. I might even consider Luongo somewhere in that top 5. and Brodeur would be my #2 on the list
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

OH and since we are on goalies, In was wondering Asher if you have any comments on MR Tellqvist now that his GAA with Phoenix is 3.39 and his save percentage is .883.

Note that of 42 active goalies (with at least 10 games played) FORTY of them have a SV% better than that . Oh and Forty-one have a better GAA (only Cloutier of the Kings prevents Tellqvist from trailing the ENTIRE NHL field)

Now its only 6 games etc etc etc and he does play for Phoenix but worst numbers in the league ??? Ya thats quite a commodity Toronto surrendered there
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Telqvist is a good, backup-quality goaltender. He's not used to all of the starts, and Phoenix's defense could help him out a bit.

Still a complete fleecing of Toronto if that's what you're asking.

Comment

Also note, Toronto's goaltending tonight was even more asstastic than Telqvists'.

Comment

I need to revise my list to put Roloson as #1 now. Amazing performance.

Comment

Working...
                              X