MLB Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matsuzaka

I'll remember that name next time I hear a RS fan complaing about the yankees free spending.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      I'll concur with that. The bid was pretty astronomical even considering that, though. It might be worth it. He's gotta pitch well for it to really be worth it, and while there is a good chance he will, it's certainly a gamble.

The Sox are betting on D-Mats ( ) being their Ichiro; their Matsui (Hideki, not Kaz ). Both of those guys are worth more to their teams than their playing ability alone would suggest.

-Arrian
      Yep, and worth more than $51 mil. The Yanks have their pipeline to Asia, the Red Sox couldn't be left behind. There is a very large cash cow in Japan. Cities that hated the players when they were in Japan (rival team cities) will tune in to see those players play in the US.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Wow, the shine came off the golden boy pretty quick.

-Arrian
        I've never been a big fan. A lot of others haven't been, either, if you read the NE press, SoSH, BDD, etc.

Dump Cabrera, sign Renteria, dump Renteria and 10 million subsidy for Marte, sign Gonzales, trade Marte for Coco Crispies, trade Meredith, Bowen and Bard for Loretta (by the time you factor out Mirabelli from both sides of the equation), then let Gonzales and Loretta go so you can pursue Julio Lugo? Show no interest in retaining Trot, but pursue Drew for something close to Damon/MFY money?
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Epstein is not on crack.
          Look at the entire transaction history, not just everyone's pet bid for a deal at the moment.

Daisuke has far more value than simply being a top notch starting pitcher.
          If, if, if, all depending on if they make a deal, and if they don't get held over too big a barrel by Boras, and if Matsuzaka doesn't turn into an Irabu.

It is the Red Sox's entry into the Japanese market, which is a highly lucrative market to be in and so far is really only penetrated by the Mariners, Dodgers, and Yankees. The $51 million will pale to the money the Sox make on merchandise sales and television rights over the long run in Japan. It is basically an investment in the Japanese market.
          I lived in Japan and followed the Japan leagues. Still do. Most of the Japanese market will stay focused on their teams until there is major, systematic penetration of the majors by Japanese players. The real play in Japan isn't in merchandising rights (the Yankees and Dodgers dominated that before Matsui and Nomo, due to Japanese consumer's perceptions of LA and New York), it's in getting a footprint for scouting and recruiting and dealing with other Japan league teams.

The payoff could be there, if, if, if. The problem is if it will be enough in a three year window, if that's what Boras wants, and if the Sox have enough resources to fill all the remaining holes. Assuming Matsuzaka performs. If he's a 10-10 wonder with an ERA north of 4, then you'll be amazed at how little play he gets in Japan after the first year. The novelty has worn off, it's not like he's a rookie Nomo or Park.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

btw, a big congrats to Leyland and Verlander for manager and rookie of the year awards.

Oh, and it looks like we've resigned Sean Casey for another year.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Toronto has signed Frank Thomas. That is my one and likely only contribution to this thread.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                I've never been a big fan. A lot of others haven't been, either, if you read the NE press, SoSH, BDD, etc.

Dump Cabrera, sign Renteria, dump Renteria and 10 million subsidy for Marte, sign Gonzales, trade Marte for Coco Crispies, trade Meredith, Bowen and Bard for Loretta (by the time you factor out Mirabelli from both sides of the equation), then let Gonzales and Loretta go so you can pursue Julio Lugo? Show no interest in retaining Trot, but pursue Drew for something close to Damon/MFY money?
                All trumped by:

2004 World Series Champions. I dunno, I guess you can give that back for reversal of all those deals if you want .

If, if, if, all depending on if they make a deal, and if they don't get held over too big a barrel by Boras, and if Matsuzaka doesn't turn into an Irabu.

And if they don't make a deal, they prevent the Yankees from getting him, so still a plus.

And Matsuzaka is not an Irabu. He showed that in the World Baseball Classic against US batters. That and he has the right age, the right velocity, and the right number of pitches. He'll be better than Irabu, especially with the Red Sox's run support (his win numbers will be high at any rate).

This article points out some differences (number of pitches, Matsuzaka being in shape):

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Epstein is not on crack. Daisuke has far more value than simply being a top notch starting pitcher. It is the Red Sox's entry into the Japanese market, which is a highly lucrative market to be in and so far is really only penetrated by the Mariners, Dodgers, and Yankees. The $51 million will pale to the money the Sox make on merchandise sales and television rights over the long run in Japan. It is basically an investment in the Japanese market.
                  Add the White Sox to that list ... they've had several Japanese players (from Japan directly) now, including their amazing second baseman
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

few can compete with the resume that one So Taguchi brings to the table.

Comment

I am embarrassed to admit this but when Matsui first arrived I thougt his name was Matt Suey.

Comment

All trumped by:

2004 World Series Champions. I dunno, I guess you can give that back for reversal of all those deals if you want .
                        Epstein got lucky, in the sense that he hadn't broken the team yet, and that was the one off-season to trading deadline where his bad deals or non-deals didn't eclipse the good ones.

Comment

Cubbies have landed Soriano 8/136

Alfonso Soriano has agreed to an eight-year contract with the Chicago Cubs worth about $136 million, multiple media outlets reported on Sunday.

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs' ownership is showing new manager Lou Piniella that they are serious about winning.

Chicago radio station ESPN 1000 reported Sunday that the Cubs have agreed to an eight-year contract worth approximately $136 million with outfielder Alfonso Soriano.

The move would clearly mark the highlight in an already busy offseason for the Cubs, who have signed free-agent infielder Mark DeRosa and have re-signed third baseman Aramis Ramirez and righthander Kerry Wood.

But the biggest prize is Soriano, who is coming off an outstanding all-around season for the Washington Nationals in which he hit .277 with 46 home runs and 95 RBI. The 30-year-old ranked third in the National League in homers and also stole 41 bases -- the sixth-highest total in the circuit.

After complaining in spring training about having to move from second base to left field, Soriano blossomed in his new surroundings. He led the league with 22 outfield assists, six more than his closest competitor, and displayed respectable range for a converted infielder.

Soriano became the first player in baseball history with 40 home runs, 40 stolen bases and 20 outfield assists in a single season. He also became the first member of the 40-40-40 club, which encapsulates homers, stolen bases and doubles.

An All-Star in each of the last five years, Soriano owns a .280 average with 208 home runs and 560 RBI in eight seasons with the New York Yankees, Texas Rangers and the Nationals.

Soriano won the AL Rookie of the Year award with the Yankees in 2001, when he hit .268 with 18 homers and 73 RBI. He finished third in MVP voting the following season, when he increased his average to .300 and collected 39 homers and 102 RBI.
                          Looks like the cubbies are following the Reds in the all O-fence, no pitching (save CZ) mold.

As a cards fan, I love this move. Between AS and A-Ram, probably not going to have much left over for a pitching overhaul.

Comment

Wow... that's a lot of money.

He's a great player no doubt, but unless the Cubs are going to bottomless pool of money mode, they have greater needs.

Comment

Is he going to be worth 17 mil when he's 37 years old? Yikes.

Comment

Phew! Glad the Phillies dodged that big-money bullet. He strikes out too much to "protect" Howard in the lineup. Of course, there aren't many other options....

And so far our big signing of the off-season has been: Wes Helms. That'll strike fear into the Mets.
                                "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                                "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                                "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Working...
                                X