X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    Here's a clever problem I came across the other day:

I have a punch which is very special. If I center it over a point then it removes all the points in the real plane (RXR) which are an irrational distance away from the original point.

How many punches do I need in order to remove the whole real plane?
    EDIT
    made a mistake assuming you couldnt center at a number already removed....

didnt actually prove it but its probably n+1 in R^n.
    Last edited by Lul Thyme; November 6, 2006, 07:40.

Comment

its like asking what is more

few
      several
      couple
      anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

A couple is two. Then few, then several.

Comment

Wow... another paradox

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            They aren't the same.

n(n)^x where n is 1 is always one.

lim x -> inf will be 1.

What is the value for

n(n)^x where n is 0.9 repeater?

what about the lim x -> inf? that should be 0.
            That's rubbish. You're saying "assuming that .9-repeating is less than 1, then .9-repeating^x approaches zero as x approaches infinity, therefore .9-repeating is less than 1."
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Stupid ASCII code...

1 >= .9-repeat
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

No, it's from high school. At first glance, it doesn't seem to make sense. People want to inherently believe in an infinitesimal, but 0.0...1 doesn't exist. It can't exist. 0.9... must be 1, because there is nothing you could add to the number to make it equal to 1.
                You are right that there is no smallest strictly positive real number.
                There are number systems that have been created and used where such infinestimals exist and in those systems in fact 1 and 0.9... would be different.
                Basically it comes down to wheter you accept infinestimals in your system.

In real numbers though, 1=0.99...

Comment

I find this question to be very disturbing.

As nice as all the proofs on wikipedia are, a number cannot equal another number when they do not have exactly the same digits everywhere.
                  "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

As nice as all the proofs on wikipedia are, a number cannot equal another number when they do not have exactly the same digits everywhere.

½Students are often "mentally committed to the notion that a number can be represented in one and only one way by a decimal." Seeing two manifestly different decimals representing the same number appears to be a paradox, which is amplified by the appearance of the seemingly well-understood number 1.½

Comment

• Originally posted by Dracon II
                      Its an asymptote, no? It comes infinitely close, but never reaches... like Zeno's paradox.
                      That's actually the main mistake I've seen in layppl talking about this.
                      They assume we are talking about the sequence
                      which never reaches 1

But we are talking about THE UNIQUE NUMBER
                      which is the limit of the sequence.
                      We write it 0.99....
                      and it is EQUAL to 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lul Thyme

EDIT
                        made a mistake assuming you couldnt center at a number already removed....

didnt actually prove it but its probably n+1 in R^n.
                        Spoiler:
                        No, the solution with 3 points works for all dimensions. Though obviously only 2 works in 1 dimension.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          At the point where you put the little bar over the 9.
                          Damn you American's and your silly notation. Dots show recurring decimals in the real world.
                          Smile
                          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• Originally posted by Eli

No, that breaks down when the word "infinite" is inserted. 1/3 is exactly equal to 0.(an infinite number of 3s). Similarly, 1 is exactly equal to 0.(an infinite number of 9s). It's not even an assymptote, as an assymptote would be saying that 0.99... get's closer to 1 as you add more 9s - it tends to 1. However at the point where the 9s become infinite, it is 1, it doesn't tend to it.

Another relatively undisputable answer that shows that numbers can be the same even if they have different digits, take the equation:

1+1+1+1+1... to infinity. It equals the same as:
                            9+9+9+9+9... to infinity. It doesn't matter that the latter is 9 times as big at every point other than infinity, when both are declared to be infinite, they both cease to be different.
                            Smile
                            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• No. It depends on the application.

Spec.
                              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

• x = 0.99... ||×10
                                10x = 9.9... ||-x
                                10x-x = 9.9... - 0.99...
                                9x = 9 ||÷9
                                x = 1 = 0.99... QED

Comment

Working...
                                X