X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Are you an idiot?
    You have to ask?
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
      This is from grammar school. You little wussie dogs.
      No, it's from high school. At first glance, it doesn't seem to make sense. People want to inherently believe in an infinitesimal, but 0.0...1 doesn't exist. It can't exist. 0.9... must be 1, because there is nothing you could add to the number to make it equal to 1.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        Here's a clever problem I came across the other day:

I have a punch which is very special. If I center it over a point then it removes all the points in the real plane (RXR) which are an irrational distance away from the original point.

How many punches do I need in order to remove the whole real plane?
        You are too smart for me. I'll give it a shot though.

Two? Punch once on pi and then once on a point an irrational distance from pi?

Comment

That would definitely work.

Comment

No it wouldn't.

You're trying to remove the whole real plane, not the real line.

The initial point being pi is a red herring. You can punch once for free on the origin (without loss of generality). Your next punch has to be an irrational distance i from the origin (else it obviously leaves the origin). Again, WLOG it can be along the positive x axis.

However, now look at the vertical line x = i/2

For any i there exists a real j such that sqrt(i*i/4 + j*j) is rational. In particular, take sqrt(ceil(i/2)*ceil(i/2) - i*i/4) for your j. (where ceiling is the least integer greater than i). So, (i/2, j) is a rational distance from (0,0) However, any point along the line x=i/2 is the same distance from (i,0) as it is from (0,0). So, there is at least one point which has not been removed.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is the gayest math thread in all of existence.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I present this thread as proof that the United States' educational system is failing its students: Arguing that .9-repeating is equal to 1...

...the horror.

Comment

.999 repeating is just a math geek with a stutter.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The answer boils down to onesimple phrase, understandable by even the fuzziest of liberal arts and music majors:

Q: Does 0.9 repeating equal 1?
                    A: Close enough for rock!
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Well there you have it, kids.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

No.

That it's even a question just shows how twisted is the world.
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Look at who's debating it, for crying out loud.
                          Guys with polka dot shirts and plaid pants.

Comment

I should try this on the boss. I'm supposed to clock out at midnight but instead I'll clock out at 11:59 and show her a copy of this thread.

Comment

Actually, you should clock out at 11:59:59.999...

Comment

I can't wait around all that long.

Comment

Working...
                                X