Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you use Self-checkouts in supermarkets/shops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you use Self-checkouts in supermarkets/shops?

I have several supermarkets around within a 10 mins walk, but only one has both old-fashioned staffed checkout when paying plus supposedly faster alternatives for self-checkout.

The others do it only the classic way, and smaller shops don't have it at all in my vicinity.

Self-checkout stuff is kinda nice and quick indeed, esp. when lotsa people waiting in the staffed line and you only buy few things.

Except when the scanner/computer is moaning about something, and you need to wait for some of supermarket folks which oversee and ok things if needed.

I think in the latter case people should get a hefty discount, cuz when I'm doing all the heavy lifting to help staff I don't want them to steal my time more the required

/cts
    ​
    Blah

I try to avoid self-checkout.

The groceries an department stores here are slowly coming to the realization that self-checkout is just a very expensive way to shift (rather than save) on labor costs. Fewer checkers and baggers, but they have to be replaced with "store assist" personnel (to help deal with coupons, wrong prices, bad credit card machines, etc), plus "security" personnel to combat the significantly higher "shrinkage" issue that self-checkout causes.

Agreed: If I'm going to do your work, I damned well expect to be compensated -- and a couple minutes of time savings doesn't cut it.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Self-checkout

People over 40
      "

Comment

If it doesn't involve any plu codes or weighing stuff, I find self-checkout is quicker and easier. I think the anti-theft logic is that they don't want people coding expensive stuff as cheap stuff. Like wanting to have someone check you are actually buying cheap (by weight) watermelon or bananas and not actually buying expensive raspberries.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I only use self checkout if I have a large pile of coupons, or other discounts that require a clerk to process.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

My wife sends me to get something from the store at least once a day. I almost always use the self checkout. When I do a big shopping trip, I never use the self checkout.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I used it at ikea because i was angry at how long cues were.

many supermarkets don't have it.

i used one abroad and it was funny because (it was a sports clothes chain) you simply threw the items in a basket and it calculated the price and you just paied with a card and voila. i found it very funny just throwing clothes in a basket. it was very quick though

also what is there to prevent me just cheking in a mentos and pass all the rest of the shopping for free?

really.

Comment

I use it whenever available, but most grocery stores here in small-city Germany don't have any.
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

If the supermarket wants me to do a cashier's job they can pay me to do it.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I use it when available because usually there's a long, tedious line at the manned counters and I'd rather scan and bag my own crap and then go than wait around to unload it onto the belt, wait for somebody else to scan and bag it, etc.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Totally.

Also, my daughter loves it.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Worst in the manned line is when people wait 5,10 or whatever mins staring around, and then, once it comes to them, they find out that they have to get their cash, phone, card or whatever payment method they use into position which for some of them feels like they need another 5,10 or whatever mins to actually pay
                        Blah

Comment

I try not to use them. I prefer someone else to do the work for me.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                          X