Argentina sunk a biritish bioat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLATO View Post

I think it is actually aluminum and ammonium perchlorate (so yes?) but not positive that is what is used on an exocet.
    That sound more like solid rocket fuel than thermite.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post

That sound more like solid rocket fuel than thermite.
      Yes, but they are pretty close in composition. pchang says it would need iron as well to be thermite. I am certainly not an expert but am just a layman.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Thermite is usually powdered iron oxide and powdered aluminium.

Other metal oxide/ metal combinations also work, but that one is the most common.

Ammonium perchlorate is a very strong oxidizer agent used for a lot of solid rocket motors (the space shuttle and SLS for example)
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post

Yes, but they are pretty close in composition. pchang says it would need iron as well to be thermite. I am certainly not an expert but am just a layman.
          I was assuming there would have been some rusted iron somewhere, and it's not a pure aluminium vessel.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The reaction isn't as violent if the reagents aren't powdered and mixed together
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Also, if it is rusted, it will not burn. If it is not powdered, It needs to get hot enough to essentially liquify the metal so fresh un-oxidised material is exposed to oxygen.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I don't understand what you mean that if it is not rusted it will not burn. Thermite can be made from iron oxide and aluminium so not understanding your point. Possibly due to the odd punctuation. Are you meaning it won't be self-sustaining if not powdered / does not have the necessary surface area exposure?

I'm getting flashbacks to science lessons when custard powder and flour explode when it is aerosolised, and doing newton cradle experiments with large rusted iron and aluminum balls.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• pchang
                  pchang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I sad that rusted iron will not burn. It is already oxidised. Thermite is made from powdered aluminum and iron. Oxidation = burning as far as the end products go. Iron oxide = rust = iron that has been burned.
                  Last edited by pchang; July 27, 2023, 19:42.

• Dauphin
                  Dauphin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thermite is mixture of metal and metal oxide. Yes, burnt means the end product, but the distinction seems a bit strange in the context of a redox reaction.

Yeah, the rusted iron is the oxidizer (or whatever other metal oxide is used); this means that the reaction can happen without outside air, and makes it incredibly difficult to stop once ongoing.

The elemental metal has to form an oxide with more energetic bonds than the metal oxide. Once enough heat is applied to overcome the activation energy, the reaction starts and the released heat from the redox reaction makes it sustain.
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

The standard iron oxide / aluminium thermite reaction is for example used to weld rails together, since the iron melts and forms part of the resulting weld (I guess with a properly formulated flux to ensure that the resultant weld metal is some kind of steel with acceptable mechanical properties)

[Edit:] also copper/aluminum thermite mixes are used to weld high thickness wires to steel pipe for cathodic protection purposes.
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

As long as the initial point remains clear I don't mind the scientific turn this thread took

Comment

I remembered the thermite reaction incorrectly. But, according to Wiki, Sheffield did not have an aluminum superstructure. The missile took out the main water system for firefighting and that is why everything burned. Then, being towed in rough water, enough water got in the hole in the side of the ship to roll it over and sink it.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                      X