Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​​​​
    Originally posted by Berzerker View Post

You said Ukraine would contest the dam and remove the charges - the dam was mined and I said neither side needed the mines to blow the dam (charges = mines). The dams in Ukrainian territory are intact, they have water for crops. Why wouldn't Russia destroy the dams watering Ukrainian territory? Maybe the dam just collapsed, it had been getting damaged during earlier battles. The Russian general withdrew from Kherson because he was worried about the dam. I'm sure he was worried about bridges too, but the bridge over the dam is not near Kherson.
    Because the primary motivation for either party to destroy the dam will be military considerations...not enemy crop failures.​​​​​

Last edited by Geronimo; June 8, 2023, 23:40. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Russia's being accused of blowing up a dam that will result in crop failures in territory they control, so why wouldn't Russia blow the dams under Ukrainian control?

Comment

• There were reports of Russia packing that dam with explosives last august.
        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• That was 3 months before Russia retreated from Kherson and started building a new fortified front on the east side of the river. Maybe the dam was a back up plan if Ukraine attacked east from Kherson. Thats about the only motive I can see but it fails too, there was no Ukrainian advance to flood.

Comment

• if Russia rescued flood victims they'd be accused of a war crime

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
              if Russia rescued flood victims they'd be accused of a war crime
              Only if they forcibly take them back to Russia.

They could also stop trying to shell rescue efforts if they are that worried about being accused of war crimes
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Acc. to the Oryx website Russian tank losses have crossed the 2000er mark. Otoh there's also now one entry for a Leopard 2A4 loss on the Ukrainian side.
                Blah

Comment

Nazis invaded the Donbas for 8 years with US support and Russia defended the victims
                  Uhhhhh... where is the Donbas... oh, that's right, it's in UKRAINE
                  Once again, if Texans treat Mexicans in Texas bad, does that give Mexico the right to INVADE Texas?

Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Russia's being accused of blowing up a dam that will result in crop failures in territory they control, so why wouldn't Russia blow the dams under Ukrainian control?
                    Putin knows he is likely to lose that occupied territory so he is wrecking it to make things more difficult for Ukraine.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBMan View Post
                      Acc. to the Oryx website Russian tank losses have crossed the 2000er mark. Otoh there's also now one entry for a Leopard 2A4 loss on the Ukrainian side.
                      Yeah, there was a Russian video that showed up ~2 days ago.

Incidentally, amazing op-sec on Ukraine's side for this counterattack. So far, pretty much everything combat-related is from Russian sources, and in a couple of cases even led to Ukrainian strikes since the videos' locations could be readily identified.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• pchang
                        pchang commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In addition, Russia has also blown up a number of tractors.

Russia's being accused of blowing up a dam that will result in crop failures in territory they control, so why wouldn't Russia blow the dams under Ukrainian control?
                      They are not being accused of using Ukrainian crop failures as a motive for blowing up the dam.

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post

Only if they forcibly take them back to Russia.

They could also stop trying to shell rescue efforts if they are that worried about being accused of war crimes
                        Where are they supposed to take them? Thats where the safety and resources are, Russia already took in hundreds of thousands of refugees from our proxy war. I believe about 3 million people fled the region and most went east to Russia or north/south within eastern Ukraine. This war is happening in a region largely populated by ethnic Russians, ask them if Azov is their friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post

Uhhhhh... where is the Donbas... oh, that's right, it's in UKRAINE
                          Once again, if Texans treat Mexicans in Texas bad, does that give Mexico the right to INVADE Texas?

I dont want my taxes and govt arming Nazis to kill people in Ukraine, I dont care what side of a line the victims are on. If there was an anti-Mexican coup in Washington and they sent a right wing army to kill Mexican-Americans in the SW Mexico would have the right to defend the victims.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post

Putin knows he is likely to lose that occupied territory so he is wrecking it to make things more difficult for Ukraine.
                            Crimea will be hardest hit by the loss of water and Russia wont be losing that part of the country, Kherson will be taken in spite of the delay caused by the flood.

Comment

Where are they supposed to take them? Thats where the safety and resources are, Russia already took in hundreds of thousands of refugees from our proxy war. I believe about 3 million people fled the region and most went east to Russia or north/south within eastern Ukraine. This war is happening in a region largely populated by ethnic Russians, ask them if Azov is their friend.
                              Russia is supposed to leave Ukraine and let the people go where they want. Perhaps, even rebuild their homes.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X