No announcement yet.

If Poly was an EKG...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By-the-by, the classic medical drama scene where they shock a patient in asystole (a flat-line EKG) is incorrect; if there's no pulse at all, you keep doing compressions. Shocking won't fix asystole. Shocking is defibrillation--that is, it corrects for fibrillation, specifically ventricular fibrillation. V-fib looks like somebody's toddler tried to draw the waveform; it's just flailing erratically up and down with no fixed amplitude. The ventricles (lower chambers of the heart) are contracting in a completely uncoordinated way, so you give them a shock to hopefully get them to fall in line. There's also atrial fibrillation, affecting the upper chambers, but the atria are far less important and I've seen patients who are just permanently in afib. It just means they aren't getting that bit of extra help so their hearts pump less efficiently.

Other heart rate anomalies can be corrected with synchronized cardioversion--a shock applied at a precise time. But I don't remember much about those because it's not really my job and doesn't seem to come up much. At a code, I bag until it's time to stick the tube down.

Yay this thread is less inane now
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Elok is a nerd.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

fool I get paid to know this **** who pays you to italicize everything
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Point.

You are a nerd, you know. I say it fondly.
          AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
          JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Elok, Synchronized cardioversion sounds more like a pacemaker approach. That does seem a more fitting analogy for MWHC. Now, it is up to others to decide if he is functioning as 'expected' or not.

Comment

When's he gonna know if he got the job?
              AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
              JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
              X