Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Should Western Response be if Russia uses WMD on Ukraine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Should Western Response be if Russia uses WMD on Ukraine?

Seems like a lot of discussion around possible Russian use of WMD. Wondering if there is any credible intel on this somewhere. USA has apparently formed the "Tiger Group" at White house to game out possible responses. What should the West do if Russia uses WMD in Ukraine? How do we avoid it becoming WWIII? If they use WMD, should there be a war to keep the WMD use in the "prohibited" sphere? Hard questions that only the Apolyton Brain trust can answer....
    Nuclear Attack-Strategic-Launch the Nukes!
    20.00%
    Nuclear Attack-Tactical-Launch the Nukes!
    30.00%
    Nuclear Attack-Total Political and Economic Isolation
    70.00%
    Nuclear Attack-Conventional Attack
    50.00%
    Nuclear Attack-Something Less/No Response
    10.00%
    Nuclear Attack-Launch the Bananas!
    20.00%
    Chem/Bio Attack-Strategic-Launch the Nukes!
    20.00%
    Chem/Bio Attack-Tactical-Launch the Nukes!
    10.00%
    Chem/Bio Attack- Conventional Attack on launch site
    40.00%
    Chem Bio Attack-General Conventional Attack
    30.00%
    Chem Bio Attack-Total Political and Economic Isolation
    70.00%
    Chem Bio Attack-Something Less/No Response
    20.00%
    Chem/Bio Attack-Launch the Bananas!
    30.00%

The poll is expired.

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

**** it nuke every one
    "

Comment

The west will not launch nukes.

Total isolation and general conventional attack on the Russian army in and around Ukraine, including any known deposits of tactical WMDs seems most likely (probably heavily weighted towards air attacks, including drones)
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

This poll is unfair to Serb. Where is the "Wet our pants and bow down to our new overlords" option?
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

They're not going to use nuclear or biological weapons right next to their own country, but I answered the poll anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
            This poll is unfair to Serb. Where is the "Wet our pants and bow down to our new overlords" option?
            Dang it! I knew I forgot something!
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
              They're not going to use nuclear or biological weapons right next to their own country, but I answered the poll anyway.
              I agree that these two are the least likely. It is disturbing how they keep saber rattling with the nukes though. I do think that your omission of chemical weapons from your “not going to use” list is pretty much the way most are thinking now.

Raises an interesting question: Are there WMD the world will accept the use of? Where is that line drawn?

IMHO, the West needs to draw clear lines and do it vocally. Russians understand red lines…not so good with ambiguity.

Comment

Didn't Syria use chemical weapons? Obama said something about a "thin red line".

Comment

Are there any Mossad agents in Moscow or St. Pete's?
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

If we put the "big" options of a full WW3 aside:

I can't imagine doing nothing vs. "smaller" use of chem weapons or in the worst case tactical nukes. That would just open the door for Vlad as he'd understand it as given free hand to do anything without consequences. This would also enable him to blackmail others, far beyond Ukraine. NOT good.

Otoh reacting to it military could lead to a number of escalations and bring us at some point back to the "big" options. NOT good either.

So in the end I don't know, it's above my pay grade
                    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                      Are there any Mossad agents in Moscow or St. Pete's?
                      Irrelevant, Israel seems to be doing as much as possible to avoid hurting Russia, including banning the sale of hacking tools to Ukraine:
                      Revelation of denial offers new insight into the way Israel’s relationship with Moscow has undermined Ukrainian objectives
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                        Didn't Syria use chemical weapons? Obama said something about a "thin red line".
                        Yeah, but Syria is neither in Europe nor populated by 'white' people. Also technically a civil war.
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

The Ukraine is not worth a war for Australia and probably not worth a war for anybody else (excluding Russia and Ukraine themselves). Ukraine is definitely not worth a nuclear war. I can not imagine US risking a retaliatory strike on Los Angeles because the nuked Novgorod to retaliate for Russia nuking Ukraine. Nor can I imagine France or Britain trading a nuked city for a nuked Russian city. I thus rule out a nuclear response.

On the hand if Russia was allowed to get away with nuking the Ukraine into submission that would send a clear signal to the entire world that every country really needs nuclear weapons so I expect every country with any capability will be seriously considering getting their own nukes. The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty is a peace of paper that is worth only the relative costs and benefits of honouring the treaty. The potential cost increases every time the possibility of being nuked increases.

Comment

Ukraine ranks the following on Natural Resource production:

2nd in Gallium
                            5th in Germanium
                            6th in Titanium
                            7th in Iron
                            8th in Manganese

They have 3 producing fields of Rare Earths and Lithium

In addition 9% of world's wheat exports and 14% of world's corn exports

Hardly a country not worth fighting for. The question is how much fighting is it worth...clearly the world currently thinks being an arsenal is where that decision lies. That may change though if WMD come into play and the extended threat that may exemplify for other nations. That is the question here. Where is the line where something is worth fighting for? Where does the world set the "red line" where it says "This cannot be allowed"?

Comment

Pull the moon out of orbit and smash it into the earth. It's the only way to be sure.
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                              X