What comes after Trump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What comes after Trump?

Trump leaves office today after four years in office.

My take is that he was just another President who was not effective and changed nothing. I see as a symptom of a deep malaise in America. He seems to have tapped some deep concerns which he rode to election. Given that he was not effective his supporters seem likely to turn elsewhere so perhaps some new leader or organisation will emerge that is effective in changing America.

The question is who or what will take this leadership role and where will they lead America? Allied with this is the question they will assume leadership whether the process be democratic or revolutionary. I mean who inherits his support base. I am aware Biden has been elected.

Mt opinion, from my armchair across the oceans, is that America is ripe for renovation of politics or perhaps even a revolution.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Gertrude; January 19, 2021, 10:55.

I don't entirely understand Trumpism yet, despite trying to for 4 years now. It isn't just populism, it isn't just a response to the embrace of identity politics by the Democrats (still happening), it isn't that Trump is for anything. Many Trumpists view their support and belief in quasi-religious terms, and basically openly support a Trump monarchy (DJT in 2024, then the kids after him). My understanding of the attraction of monarchy was about tradition or some great competence, and Trump has neither.

There is a push to populism. Biden will improve things, but I don't think that populism will die. I know that one thing I have learned from Trump is that I don't trust populism so much, but I don't think everyone has learned the same thing or that populism is going to die now.

Populism its now split heavily into left and right components, and they hate each other. I don't see them cooperating for a revolution and I think that both are too strong (as well as the establishment and elite groups) to push us there. But that is right now, if the right doesn't change paths and the left populists get more frustrated with Biden....

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Short answer: Biden

Blah

Comment

Short Answer: Dignity and Sanity
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm sure Biden will be right on top of ensuring that women and minorities are equally represented among the ranks of ICE cops
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
            Uncle Sparky commented
            Editing a comment
            Soft announcement of a '5 years to citizenship' plan for 'dreamers' and gainfully employed illegals. Mar-a-Lago may have American citizens as the majority of the staff.

Originally posted by Ming View Post
          Short Answer: Dignity and Sanity

You must be feeling optimistic.

Yje people who voted for Trump will support somebody in 2024 nd who knows who that will be or what they stand for.

Comment

Biden would do well if he "only" gets the pandemic under control and the economy going again. What in 24?

The divisions will not quickly go away but hopefully Trumpocracy with someone like him at the top remains an episode.

More than hopes, fears and guesses seems kinda out of reach currently... /cts.
            Blah

Comment

Kanye runs in 2024

Comment

He tried to deal with China on trade and their economic malfeasance. He reduced our military foot print in Syria and Afghanistan and stopped arming terrorists (but not Saudi Arabia's war on Yemen). We'll have to wait and see if Biden finds reasons to reverse course. Of all the things a President can do, foreign policy is where most of their power resides and Trump didn't start any new wars that I know of, so he's better than Bush and Obama (and Clinton and Biden). He pushed thru the 1st step act reforming Biden's drug war too, very important to me as well.

Who will take up the mantle? I see 2 rising stars in the GOP, Josh Hawley and Tucker Carlson. Hawley will get the capitol riot hung around his neck and Tucker has an extensive record of public statements to throw back at him. Tom Cotton is a possibility if Hawley falls from grace. Their are 2 GOP women in line for greater national prominence - Nikki Haley and Kristi Noem (Guv-SD). Haley starts out with the edge but Noem will compete. Overall Haley may be the favorite at this point. Her problem is she's too establishment, Trump's base is more populist.
                Last edited by Berzerker; January 19, 2021, 18:13.

Comment

What comes after Trump?

According to Webster's - trumpery. (You should look it up!)
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                    Trump's base is more populist.
                    You think a permanent populist realignment? But Trump didn't pursue populist policies... he was more monarchial than populist.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                      I don't entirely understand Trumpism yet, despite trying to for 4 years now. It isn't just populism, it isn't just a response to the embrace of identity politics by the Democrats (still happening), it isn't that Trump is for anything. Many Trumpists view their support and belief in quasi-religious terms, and basically openly support a Trump monarchy (DJT in 2024, then the kids after him). My understanding of the attraction of monarchy was about tradition or some great competence, and Trump has neither.

There is a push to populism. Biden will improve things, but I don't think that populism will die. I know that one thing I have learned from Trump is that I don't trust populism so much, but I don't think everyone has learned the same thing or that populism is going to die now.

Populism its now split heavily into left and right components, and they hate each other. I don't see them cooperating for a revolution and I think that both are too strong (as well as the establishment and elite groups) to push us there. But that is right now, if the right doesn't change paths and the left populists get more frustrated with Biden....

JM
                      "Trumpism" is made up bull**** you all talk about. We're populists.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

... as Mike Pence found out.
                        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

"Trumpism" is full of BS and we post whatever our masters tell us to. We're cult members.
                          FIFY

Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Increasing cognitive dissonance for Kidiot and Lancer.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                            X