Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Force the Vote

#Forcethevote

House progressives are under pressure from their base to with hold their support for Pelosi to be Speaker unless she agrees to hold a recorded vote on Medicare 4 All. Jimmy Dore has been promoting this strategy to get a vote in the House. If Pelosi cant get the required 218 votes a real race for the speakership will ensue.

The vote would likely fail given the hold corporations have on our political system but it would at least get people on the record so they can be knocked off in primaries. As Jimmy argues, its immoral for a government to deny people health care during a pandemic. People lose their jobs and their health care and Congress does nothing. Just about every other '1st world' country not only has a functioning health care system but 'generous' bail outs for people whereas our politicians throw table scraps at us - $1200 for the entire year?

Polls show a majority of Americans support a M4A system or something similar, over 85% of Democrats and even a majority of Republicans. This is an issue people can get behind, but not Wall St. AOC is especially feeling the heat since she ran on forcing a vote, now she's playing word games to avoid the issue.

If the majority truly are for such a universal issue (not a niche issue where private interests hold more sway), you'd think it'd be a flip at some point where supporting it will win votes, regardless of the money.

Is it that support is there, but it's not a high priority and so not a vote winner? What is the mechanic that means supporting it as a Democrat is bad, or supporting it as a Republican is bad.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Dauphin, you are asking questions that would require logic and consistency.

USA health care makes no sense, except as a cash cow across a wide range of related industries: health care providers, care facilities/hospitals, insurance, equipment makers, pharma, etc, etc.
      Big money owns the politicians, which is how 6 blue-dog Democrats kept Obama from implementing a single-payer national system in his first 2 years, despite having a solid legislative majority and overwhelming public support on the issue.

It's not about priority; it's about corporate culture. Follow the money.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Wall St doesn't want it, thats why it wont happen. It will take years of nibbling away at a bought and paid for Congress to get it. Think about it, over 85% of Democrats want M4A but the party cant even get a vote in the House they control. Thats stunning... The only reason we're seeing a reform of marijuana prohibition is because states that allow referendum on the ballot got the snowball rolling and bypassed the politicians.

What I cant understand is why people who want our economy to compete with foreign competition support a system where employers are stuck providing health care coverage for employees. Businesses in Germany and England (and China) dont have to provide those benefits.

One of my buddies said his company recently changed health care insurance to a cheaper company that provides fewer benefits. He told his employer the new outfit sucks, his costs went up and he didn't even get a raise to offset them.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
          -Jrabbit commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the death by a thousand cuts that most of corporate America has been dealing with. Every year, another benefit slightly reduced, and worker costs slightly increased. It adds up in a hurry, all under the banner of "in keeping with industry practices." Total screw-the-worker BS.

Agreed re Wall St. being the problem. Once the finance industry was deregulated, the public health became just another commodity.

86% of Americans want term limits. Nibbling away isn't going to make anything happen
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

M4A is a top priority for millions of people

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
            M4A is a top priority for millions of people
            Is it a single issue vote for them? Are they going to primary these corrupt politicians? Look who they just elected President. The system doesn't work right now. They get corrupt and you can't get them out.

Comment

I hope they primary them and I hope Republican opponents of M4A get primaried too. Yes, the swamp will not be drained. Thats why we need more votes forced instead of a system where the Speaker and Senate majority leader get to decide what is voted on.

Comment

How much wod m4a cost per year? If we can do it affordable then that is good. If it is a budget buster, we'll, what other options are available?
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

We need to show up at the Capitol and protest!

Comment

Maybe this time when you "show up at the Capitol" you will actually protest instead of storm the building and call for the Vice President to be hung... and other acts of treason.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's what most people did. Your news sucks.

Comment

And your "peaceful" protesters committed treason and attacked the Capital... Looking for the Vice President to hang...
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Kidlicious
                          Kidlicious commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Do you just repeat what you hear on CNN?

• Ming
                          Ming commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Nahhh... I just watched and listened to all the video. And I don't watch CNN, but keep up with your typical BS.

A Black Lives Matter activist who told Fox News last week that he’d followed a pro-Trump mob into the Capitol in order to “document” the siege is now the subject of a criminal complaint in connection with his alleged participation, according to the Justice Department.

The BLM "activist" who lead the charge and who incited and encouraged violence.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                          https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lef...n-capitol-riot

The BLM "activist" who lead the charge and who incited and encouraged violence.
                          CNN's Jade Sacker is caught on video coordinating with him inside the Capitol.

Comment

Working...
                        X