Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So mix the following:
    https://www.food.com/recipe/clamato-...at-clone-11774
    In a tall glass, add a bit of ice, 2 shots of gin and fill with clamato. Greeks in Canada drink a lot of this. Several companies in Canada make clamato juices, but I haven't found bottled clamato outside of Canada. Some people use vodka, some tequila, I prefer gin. I'm about to pour one now.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Two parts gin, two tonic water, one lemon juice. One of my favourite summer beverages.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
        -Jrabbit commented
        Editing a comment
        Lime juice for me. That's the key to a tasty G&T.

• ricketyclik
        ricketyclik commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds pretty good!

Historically, gin was much cheaper to produce than whiskey, the other hard liquor common in English speaking countries, so it was common to see gin sell for 1/3rd the price of whiskey as it didn’t have to be aged. Equally, historically, people blamed gin for public drunkenness as lower classes tended to drink it due to its much cheaper price. Wine was considered a drink of the upper classes while beer was considered a wholesome drink which even the church regulated and demanded lords provide to peasants as part of their daily bread. Beer was considered by the church to be liquid bread and because it was boiled it was considered safer to drink than water.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
        So mix the following:
        In a tall glass, add a bit of ice, 2 shots of gin and fill with clamato. Greeks in Canada drink a lot of this. Several companies in Canada make clamato juices, but I haven't found bottled clamato outside of Canada. Some people use vodka, some tequila, I prefer gin. I'm about to pour one now.
        In Mexico Clamato is added to everything from beer, to ceviche, to fruit juice. Not bad for a drink which is literally just tomato juice with clam shells boiled in it with salt and pepper added. People claim the bits of clam stick to the shell as well as the minerals boiled from the shells are some how medicinal especially when chili peppers are added.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
          Uncle Sparky commented
          Editing a comment
          Most people add several drops of hot sauce, some use horseradish (like the one I just had), some add lime juice, some use Worchestershire sauce, celery salt, etc., etc. or a combination of spices. And yes, I've had it with beer, too. I have heard that its in Mexico now. Probably the fault of Canadian tourists.

• Provost Harrison
          Provost Harrison commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember when I was flying home from various projects around Europe and people drinking tomato juice with Worcestershire sauce in it. Bleh...even the smell put me off (not a big fan of tomato juice and Worcestershire sauce is good stuff, a fine ingredient, but in this context as a drink, bleh).

Certainly never drank this in my time there. Plenty of horchata and beer but never clamato...if it contains clams perhaps it is mostly coastal.

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
        So mix the following:
        Well thanks for the advice.
        Isn't that bloody mary with the wrong liquor?

Anyway, my final verdict for gin (mine, don't get offended) is: unecessairy to exist

Comment

G&T is a nice summer go to. Gin Martini is ok. Is there gin in a negroni?

I like schnapps shots if I don't want to mix.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

gin is many thing, though, sloe gin is probably one of the greatest crimes against humanity, only beaten by pouring Coke in a Islay single malt. An interesting one is Boigin from Sardinia.

I find G&T preferable though avoiding putting cucumber in them.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

To be fair, I bought london dry gin from delhaize brand (dannubis will know it).
              It is the cheapest of the cheap.
              Anyway I hated it.

Maybe quality plays a role, I don't know. My fav drink is cuba libre but then I accidentaly had bought one of the best cuban rums there is and made the coctails with that

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                -Jrabbit commented
                Editing a comment
                Cheap gin is painful. Same is true of tequila. So diffierent from the quality versions of those liquors as to ruin the entire experience. Now, I'm not saying gin is "good." It's definitely an acquired taste, and the botanicals that gin is made with are not for everyone. But "cheapest of the cheap" prevents a fair judgment. IMHO.

I remember when I was flying home from various projects around Europe
              When will we be able to travel again?

I regret not visiting ireland and coronavirus struck when I had everything ready to visit new york

Comment

Gin makes excellent panty remover and paint thinner.
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

there are far better products

Comment

This thread:
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Interesting note: In the novel 1984, low ranking party members only get gin. Even the prols get beer.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                      X