Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They always f*ck you in the drive through!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whereas 2500 years of tradition of a religion known as christianity offers comfort

Comment

The essence of veganism is to not harm sentient beings. It is a perfectly rational and ethical endeavour. The side effect is that it allows and promotes healthy ecosystems.

Consumption of animal products is one of the main drivers of environmental damage.

Comment

During the periods I was a vegan, it was primarily about having a healthy body and secondary about having a healthy ecosystem.

A lot of the vegan people who were around me, and still a lot of the vegan people who are around me, are vegan because of it being spiritually purer.

A very small fraction of the vegans I know are so because of not harming other beings. And some of those were often not vegan (ate shrimp/etc).

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't remember Bereta_Eder being quite so dickish.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Its good you were not eating animal products.

The usage of the term vegan has become ambiguous between various different groups. I go by the vegan society's definition of veganism. (The group founded by the one who coined the term vegan.)

Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

It's not actually a diet. I initially intended to go 100% homegrown plant based diet, but not vegan. But once the bacon and cheese goggles were removed it became obvious that harming and exploiting animals is not necessary and not just.

Comment

Cheese and ice cream are amazing, and very difficult to not return to (especially if you want to return to eating out/etc).

The few times I have accidentally had mammal/avian meat (And the few times I have purposefully had fish), I have thought it was disgusting. I admit that part of it is psychological, however.

JM
              (I never avoided dairy/eggs for spiritual reasons, but it might have influenced me)
              Last edited by Jon Miller; April 30, 2020, 23:10.
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                I don't remember Bereta_Eder being quite so dickish.
                He had more positive points than BK/Kid, but he got banned for his behavior as often (or more often).

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

One of the big problems here at Poly is the fact that the Off Topic is no longer a reflection of the site's gaming community. So folks who were perfectly good company playing Civ and its related variants, and even forum games like Mafia, fantasy sports, etc., now have nothing to talk about except politics.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

They haven't made a good game in fifteen years

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                      Cheese and ice cream are amazing, and very difficult to not return to (especially if you want to return to eating out/etc).

The few times I have accidentally had mammal/avian meat (And the few times I have purposefully had fish), I have thought it was disgusting. I admit that part of it is psychological, however.

JM
                      (I never avoided dairy/eggs for spiritual reasons, but it might have influenced me)
                      It's strange how quickly taste can change.

I once took a sip of a guyabano shake without asking and instantly realized it had condensed milk. It didn't taste good and I felt ill for a few hours. They used to be one of my favorite drinks. (Now shakes with banana and chia for texture.)

Comment

From my experience vegans tend to be insufferable narcissists. I am sure there are exceptions but that seems to be the rule.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                          They haven't made a good game in fifteen years
                          True. However I would like to buy GalCiv3 eventually.

Today I am playing Imperialism II, a game over 20 years old. Almost all of my game playing is Imperialism II, Civ IV, Victoria and Galactic Civilisations 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post

It's strange how quickly taste can change.

I once took a sip of a guyabano shake without asking and instantly realized it had condensed milk. It didn't taste good and I felt ill for a few hours. They used to be one of my favorite drinks. (Now shakes with banana and chia for texture.)
                            That fits my experience with milk but not with cheese and ice cream. Also, I like to eat out, and there are a lot more dairy vegetarian options than dairy-less vegeterian options.

Due to my oldest's allergies I am raising my daughters as meat eaters. Both eat far more mammal flesh than my wife has ever (most of the time she only eats chicken and a little sea food). We sometimes pick an adventist church to worship with (the denomination that I most closely identify with and was raised in) and they often have a very nice children's school. One time my eldest was bothered because they talked about Daniel and about how it was best to eat only vegetables and not meat. I told her it was good to eat only vegetables, but if Jesus ate fish and lamb then it was good to eat fish and lamb too.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people who consume no animal fats/proteins due so for spiritual reasons. The adventists with the strictest diet (no dairy, eggs, meat, etc) are probably less than a million, but my experience with Indians who consume no dairy, eggs, meat, etc. is that they are far more concerned with their own spiritual state than with the well being of animals as well.

I was reading that for the environment it was better to be 2/3 vegan (By that I mean to have only 1 meal per day with a little animal proteins/fats) then to be lacto-ovo-vegetarian.

JM
                            (It is funny, but in traditional Indian culture, meat is something to be had, by most people who consume it, rarely. This meat for every meal or every day thing seems to come from wealth and the West.)
                            (It is also funny that the strictest spiritual diet restrictions (of hindus and adventists) restrict spices as well.)
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                              From my experience vegans tend to be insufferable narcissists. I am sure there are exceptions but that seems to be the rule.
                              Maybe you've unwittingly met some who didn't feel the need to inform you that they are vegans

Comment

Working...
                              X