Time is relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time is relatives

I've been doing ancestry research in my downtime stuck at home. They say we are probably all related to royalty if you go back far enough. Well, I've got back to about the 1550s for half my ancestry and every one of them was a dirt poor farm labourer or house servant. One family line was born and died in the same village from the 1550s to the 1850s - literally the parish is less than a mile wide and the records show the lineage never moved. They only eventually moved because new machinery meant farmhands weren't needed any more. Closest thing to royalty is that my paternal grandmother's parents shared a great-grandfather.

Some of my ancestors from Cardiff ended up in Argentina, before they decided that was a bad idea (not before teaching the locals how to play rugby of course).
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

There is something to be said for a family living in the same village for 300 years. They would predumably have plenty of friends and acquaintances nearby.

Now most people do not even know the names of their neighbours. Loneliness is a curse for nearly half the population.

Comment

Some part of my tree I lose track of at about the point of my grandfather's grandparents. Others I can trace back to the 16th century (including French Huguenots and Edmund Drake) and a little before. I contacted many of my great-grandparents generation about this when I did a school project when I was 13, but I have forgotten many of the details now. I know a few of my relatives who keep track of family history who are still living, but others I have no idea about (all my grandparents are still living, but very old, so I suppose I could ask them (at least who to ask)).

JM
      (About half of my great-grandparents were still alive when I was 13, the last of them died about 6 years ago. One great-grandmother told me when I visited her after graduating college that when she was young her family spoke Dutch (she was proud I was going to pursue a PhD).)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Comment

No one interesting in my lineage...a lot are from a fishing heritage - so plenty have been in my home city of Hull going back centuries with some exceptions, my grandad was from Fleetwood, Lancashire - another fishing port and my great great grandad was from Newhaven...lord knows why he moved to Hull but must be maritime. The rest - farm labourers and the trail eventually goes cold.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            Some of my ancestors from Cardiff ended up in Argentina, before they decided that was a bad idea (not before teaching the locals how to play rugby of course).
            I am sorry to hear that but happy they eventually got smart. Talk about a dysfunctional crap hole which is perpetually unstable.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Looking back further, they weren't Welsh as it turns out. My Great-Grandfather was born in Cardiff in the late 19th Century, but his grand-parents in turn were from/born in Devon, Wiltshire, somwhere in Ireland and the last probably in the Bristol area or Somerset.

Comment

I've also found ancestry from the early 1900s who went to Canada and South Africa. One of them is buried in a cemetry here in Toronto.

Comment

• pchang
                  pchang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Somebody has way too much time on their hands.

This thrade greatly offends me and I have reported Dauphin. Furthermore I have "flagged" all posts for Ming at least 4 times over. I will continue to flag posts to Ming for the next month straight to see what happens.

Thank you and please remember this is a family site.
                Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                X