Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Neville Chamberlain get all the blame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Neville Chamberlain get all the blame?

Why does Neville Chamberlain get all the blame for not stopping Hitler and get accused of appeasement?

The British people wanted peace. The parliament wanted peace. The Dominions wanted peace. He had absolutely no support from anyone for a war.

At the time Britain was one of the four major powers with France and Japan being the next two.

At the time the USA would have been the greatest power regardless of having a small army. USA did nothing and said nothing.

Russia would have been in the top three. The Russians certainly did something. Something to encourage Hitler. They joined with Hitler in the invasion of Poland, and then wondered why Hitler invaded them.

Because he gave Hitler a chunk of land belonging to another country.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Because he was named Neville.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

He's the one who proclaimed "peace in our time" only a year before WW2 started

Comment

Neville did nothing wrong! It was all Soros, Hillary, Obama and Mr.Banghazi who started WW2!
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

I read somewhere the Brits were unprepared for war and needed that year to upgrade their air force. And apparently Hitler only decided to invade Russia after the Finns made them look bad.

Comment

Hitler was fantasizing about colonizing Russia when he wrote Mein Kampf, so who knows

Comment

Nobody ever blames the French Prime Minister. I remember Petain, but couldn't name any others from that era so don't know whose fault it would have been.

It reminds me of the Bush policy, but with different players - "Punish France, Ignore Germany".
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Reading up just now, the French Prime Minister returned from Munich expecting to be lambasted by the French crowds for selling out their ally. Instead, they cheered him for avoiding war. He commented something like "Ah, le cons!" [They are idiots]

Comment

Who is he

Comment

Edouard Daladier. He apparantley resigned in March 1940, after the Allies demonstrated shamoblic management of the response to the Winter War.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                        Because he was named Neville.

This is the most sensible explanation imaginable!

What if he had been called Frank or Joe?

Comment

Joe Chamberlain was his dad. He was a bit of an imperialist who wanted to model British policy on Bismarckian Germany. He was anti-French and pro-Germany. If Joe was in charge, he may have got on well with Hitler and agreed to more of a carve up.

Comment

Chamberlain gets also blamed routinely for the Thorn Birds.
                            Blah

Comment

I knew a Neville once; he wasn't that bad. I think Chamberlain's biggest fault was having a moustache.
                              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                              X