No announcement yet.

Mom 2 possibly in the works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been ages since I played, but fixing the sloooooowww early game is a big one. Spending turns and turns just running through the queue building prereq structures and waiting for your outposts to turn into cities really sucked. I'd also like to see the races have totally different units rather than "X swordsmen," "X halberdiers," etc. plus one or two uniques. This might be largely cosmetic, but it'd make them feel more distinct. Also, rebalance them so that you don't have why-would-I-ever-use-them races like the gnoll or klackons.

EDIT: mixed-race cities would be interesting, to try and mix-and-match bonuses and balance it against unrest. Possibly a few race-specific buildings? More opportunities for city specialization--I like the idea of making the guild buildings have a dramatic effect, but with sharp limits on how many you can build per city, so that you can have e.g. a fighter's and armorer's guild in a city to make it great for training troops, or a merchant's & maritime guild to make it a trade capital, etc.
    Last edited by Elok; January 30, 2020, 07:08.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• pchang
      pchang commented
      Editing a comment
      Going all white, max manna, summon Thorin, then hero him. Then, start pillaging ruins and towns. This greatly speeds up the early game.

• Elok
      Elok commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure. But that's kinda hacky--the way you can tweak the game to curbstomp the enemy can be seen as a plus or a minus. Overall, though, a new town isn't productive until you've sunk an enormous amount of time (or money) into it, and the early turns are spent building prerequisite buildings that unlock other prerequisite buildings without enabling anything else. There's room for improvement there!

I've never heard of "Mom" but I assume it's a parenting simulator.

Comment

• Elok
      Elok commented
      Editing a comment
      No, you're thinking of "Ur-Mom," which is also quite popular. Ask anyone you like--Ur-Mom is huge.

Why am I racist? Because I care about peoples' health? Even if those are muricans?

Comment

It's like a reportage I listened to in bbc narrated from some indian chique that said it's racist not to go to china town in London.

Are you serious? Chinese immigrants/people have increased chances to go to china and enjoy home made rice. And they will catch the virus.
      And you dead

Comment

Please do not jack this thread kthx.

I'd like to gently encourage alternatives to the six-hero doomstack. How about all heroes get a leadership bonus--varying between heroes--which does not stack, nor apply to other heroes?
        1011 1100

Comment

Sorry.
          I would like to contribute something on point in order to make up for the threadjack but I have no idea what this is about so necessairily I'm limited to an apology

Comment

https://masterofmagic.fandom.com/wik..._of_Magic_Wiki should give you an idea.
            1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              Please do not jack this thread kthx.

I'd like to gently encourage alternatives to the six-hero doomstack. How about all heroes get a leadership bonus--varying between heroes--which does not stack, nor apply to other heroes?
              Well, there are alternatives... but generally not as good.

But I like the game as one where the focus isn't necessarily on optimum play and that is fundamentally unbalanced.

That being said, I remember only a handful of 'normal units' that one could make great: Paladins, Airships and I think some others (Nightblades? Slingers? Hammerhands?). Maybe there needs to be some special unit that can be enabled in certain circumstances which would be boosted by a hero to be amazing... Or possibly a way to continue to upgrade 'normal' units (as the ability of heroes to be Demi-Gods as well as to hold Artifacts is what made most of them OP).

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• pchang
                pchang commented
                Editing a comment
                In the early game a pair of hero Doom Drakes were quite powerful. Even a pair of Troll swordsmen could conquer a lot of unaligned towns. A pair of Dragonmen archers could be quite powerful too.

Maybe the special bonus that is possible some games in some situations/etc is to increase the number of figures by 1?

Imagine 5 Paladins or 2 Stag Beetles. Obviously 9 Slingers would be a less impressive improvement than 2 Stag Beetles, but the improvement would not be symmetric/balanced.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

IDK how you'd implement it, but you could have it so an arbitrary number of figures can be placed within a single unit. You want six stag beetles in one unit? Sure. Just pay the build and upkeep costs, and don't moan when spammed fireballs hit them all at once.
                1011 1100

Comment

The number of figures in the Unit were an important part of the power/etc. Slingers were great at 8. Highmen had a significant advantage because their Magicians were 6 while others were 4. And so on.

That is why I am suggesting a +1 figure special ability (think Champion/etc, basically, you can only unlock it some games because of the specialness of the situation).

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Yeah, I get that, but I'm saying there's no hard reason why it has to be that way, and I'd find it more interesting to unmoor the game from hard figure limits.
                    1011 1100

Comment

I don't think they've actually started anything.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Been a few more developments guys!

Seravy has done a deal with Slitherine (the new MoM license holder working on a new MoM game) and Caster of Magic is now a buyable 'officially approved' Master of Magic addon on Steam & GoG! Naturally Seravy has promised to continue doing more amazing improvements to the mod now that he's receiving financial reward for his hard work. My god if he ever finds a way to exceed the 4 enemy player limit I'll have his baby lol!

Annoucement thread:
                        https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/...d.php?tid=9846

The only downside is all previous copies of CoM have been wiped! Don't think I've grabbed a copy since 5.6, which must have been a while back as he's now up to 6.0 lol!

EDIT: Sure enough here they are! They've gone live!
                        https://www.gog.com/game/master_of_m...aster_of_magic
                        https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ster_of_Magic/

EDIT 2:
                        I just realised.. Master of Magic wasn’t even on steam until now.. they’re doing a joint release of both MoM & CoM on steam! Wow!
                        https://steamcommunity.com/app/11463...4292532351222/

Comment

Oh and more good news. Slitherine have setup an official Master of Magic forum! And they've kindly moved my ever growing MoM2 wishlist thread into there too.

Comment

Working...
                          X