No announcement yet.

Ukraine-gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I keep thinking of a guy getting blackmailed telling people he isn't being blackmailed.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Www.interfax.com.ua seems to be an acceptable news source in Ukraine. At any rate OAN is picking it up.

Last edited by Kidlicious; October 12, 2019, 15:25.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• OAN, isn't the the New Trump station now that Fox is on the out?
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Seems to be evidence that John Solomon had his communications monitored in Ukraine. John Solomon is a journalist.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
            -Jrabbit commented
            Editing a comment
            LOLOLOL if you can call someone that Trumpish a "journalist"... He's the guy who created the Biden conspiracy theory. Always referencing "documents I've obtained" without showing anything to anyone. He's also the guy who got demoted from News to Opinion on The Hill because he was giving them a bad name.

Oh, and what the actual article says is he has "evidence suggesting" that the State Dept "may have been monitoring" multiple journalists. No actual evidence, of course. So his actual story is "suggesting...maybe" without saying, um, who, what where, when, or why. Yup, quite the journalist. But hey, he got Devin Nunes and Sean Hannity to repeat it, so... mission accomplished.

• You really need to list sources and provide a little context or it's just babbling.
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Would you like to test a new version of our mobile home page? Click here to check out the beta test.

The Washington Examiner
            Member Log In | Subscribe Now
            Saturday, October 12, 2019 Devin Nunes: Lawmakers investigating rumors of 'strange requests' to monitor journalists

by Daniel Chaitin
            | October 09, 2019 10:31 PM
            Print this article

Rep. Devin Nunes said lawmakers have been told about "strange requests" to use government resources to monitor journalists.

The top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee stressed Wednesday evening that he has not confirmed the allegations but is seeking answers from the State Department.

During an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity, Nunes talked about a letter by former GOP congressman Pete Sessions to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo that he said raised concerns that former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch was "not serving the Trump administration well" and was removed from her post earlier this year.

"We also have concerns that possibly they were monitoring press from different journalists and others," Nunes said. "That we don't know, but we have people who are giving us this information and we're going to ask these questions to the State Department and hopefully they're going to get the answers before she comes in on Friday."

With Yovanovitch set to testify before the House this week as Democrats ramp up their impeachment inquiry spurred by Trump's communications with Ukraine, Nunes said Republicans "will give her an opportunity to answer these questions."

Hannity said he has heard from multiple sources who "believe there is evidence that government resources were used to monitor communications" of American journalists, including new Fox News contributor John Solomon, related to Ukraine and posited that Yovanovitch may have been involved.

But Nunes would not get into specifics and noted that if there was some sort of surveillance, it may have been done properly.

"What I've heard — and I want to be clear — there's a difference. What I've heard is that there were strange requests, irregular requests to monitor not just one journalist, but multiple journalists. Now perhaps that was OK. Perhaps there was some reason for that — that it can be explained away. But that's what we know and that's what we're going to be looking into," the California Republican said.

Solomon appeared on the show after Nunes and also preached caution. He said he "received multiple contacts from the intelligence community suggesting that there may have been inappropriate monitoring of my communications" but added that it's not yet clear what exactly transpired and that what may have happened was just monitoring of his social media.

"I think we need to dig in more. Ambassador Yovanovitch should be given an opportunity and Secretary of State Pompeo should tell us what happened," Solomon said.

Rep. Devin Nunes said lawmakers have been told about "strange requests" to use government resources to monitor journalists.The top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee stressed Wednesday evening that he has not confirmed the allegations but is seeking answers from the State Department.During an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity, Nunes talked about a

Comment

• do this type of thing instead

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2019-10-11/appeals-court-upholds-democrats-subpoena-for-trump-financial-records

A FEDERAL APPEALS COURT in Washington ruled Friday against President Donald Trump's efforts to block House Democrats' subpoena compelling his accounting firm to produce years of his financial records.

In a 2-1 decision, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit upheld a ruling from a lower court judge from May that the president cannot block House Oversight and Reform Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings' subpoena to obtain eight years of the president's financial documents from the financial firm Mazars USA. Judge Neomi Rao, who was appointed by Trump and confirmed by Congress in March, dissented.

Trump has filed lawsuits to shut down subpoenas from Democrats to obtain his financial information and tax returns, but he's lost all efforts to do so in lower courts, including the case before a federal judge in New York to stop Democrats' subpoena for financial records from Deutsche Bank and Capital One.

"Contrary to the president's arguments, the committee possesses authority under both the House Rules and the Constitution to issue the subpoena, and Mazars must comply," Judge David Tatel wrote in the majority's opinion. "We detect no inherent constitutional flaw in laws requiring presidents to publicly disclose certain financial information. And that is enough."

Any bets that Trump will still withhold and defy the courts, but then use the courts to try to protect himself on other issues. What a ****.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Hunter Biden stepping down from Chinese Board after Trump says that China should investigate Biden. Hmmmmm.... Why did he take all that money when Biden was VP?

Comment

• Berzerker
                  Berzerker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  because he could, not sure I'd turn it down either

• Kidlicious
                  Kidlicious commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well they don't pay that money for nothing.

• -Jrabbit
                  -Jrabbit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Coming from the silver-spoon Trump House of Nepotism, this is beyond ironic. It's borderline hilarious.

• All you got is Hmmmmmm. How about some facts.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Wow. Rah has a lot of opinions this morning.

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                    All you got is Hmmmmmm. How about some facts.
                    Could be worse, could be Mmm-bop.
                    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                      Wow. Rah has a lot of opinions this morning.
                      At least I don't present them as fact like you do.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Hunter Biden has admitted that it was a mistake to get on the Board of Burisma but he blames Guiliani.

Not a good interview IMO. Who will believe that crap?

Comment

• It will be fun watching Guiliani go down.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• The media is shaming people for talking negatively about the Bidens in the same way the Chinese government shames people for talking negatively about them. Equally FOS.

Hunter Biden: The mere mention of his name seemingly triggers the vapors among cable TV hosts and their guests.

When President Trump turned to the Bidens and Ukraine in a speech, MSNBC host Nicolle Wallace cut off the coverage, declaring she had to protect the listeners: “We hate to do this, really, but the president isn't telling the truth.” When Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.) tried to answer a question about the Ukraine scandal by referencing the Bidens, “Meet the Press” host Chuck Todd angrily told him not to “gaslight” the nation.

The Bidens, simply, are not what well-bred people discuss in polite company, apparently. Indeed, many journalists seem to be channeling not Edward R. Murrow, the fabled CBS newscaster, but Florence Hartley, the author of “The Ladies' Book of Etiquette, and Manual of Politeness” in 1872. Hartley warned her readers to “avoid, at all times, mentioning subjects or incidents that can in any way disgust your hearers.”

For news shows on MSNBC, CNN and other cable networks, nothing is more disgusting than the mention of what Hunter Biden actually was doing in Ukraine.

For those brave enough to read on, I wish to dispense with one threshold issue: I was critical of claims over the last three years of “proven” crimes and impeachable offenses in the Russia investigation. However, the first day that Trump’s Ukraine call was disclosed, I stated that — if a quid pro quo were proved — the alleged self-dealing with military aid would be an impeachable offense. My point: Raising concerns over Hunter Biden does not mean you are excusing Trump’s actions.

What is most remarkable about the paucity of coverage of Hunter Biden’s dealings is the conclusory mantra that “this has all been investigated.” Many TV hosts prefer to focus on President Trump’s dubious claim that former Vice President Joe Bidenforced the firing of Ukraine’s chief prosecutor to protect his son. I, too, fail to see compelling evidence to support Trump’s charge.

There is, however, that other problem of Hunter Biden landing a windfall contract with one of Ukraine’s most corrupt figures after his father took charge of potentially billions in U.S. loans and aid for Ukraine. That is what no one seems to want to discuss.

Indeed, the Biden campaign has been remarkably open in demanding that news organizations stop airing interviews or publishing articles about the allegations. Instead of calling it “fake news” (which is virtually copyrighted by Trump), the Biden campaign calls such coverage “conspiracy theories.”

Thus, the campaign wrote to various networks, demanding that they stop airing interviews on the scandal with figures such as Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani. Kate Bedingfield, deputy manager of the Biden campaign, also denounced The New York Times for publishing an op-ed by author Peter Schweizer on the controversy. The campaign apparently expected the Times and the networks to fall in line and bar others from even expressing a view.

Most recently, the campaign fired off letters to Facebook, Twitter and Google, demanding that they take down Trump ads referencing the Hunter Biden contracts. This normally would be viewed as unbridled hubris and arrogance — except that many TV news hosts are doing precisely what the campaign has demanded.

When Rep. Lee Zeldin (R-N.Y.) raised the issue on CNN, host Erin Burnett cut him off: “There is no evidence of Joe Biden doing anything wrong, and this is something that has been looked into, and I think — I want to make a point here — I think what we need to talk about right now is what did the president right now do or not do.” Other CNN hosts have repeated the line of “no evidence of wrongdoing” like a virtual incantation.

Whether the energy company involved with Hunter Biden was fully investigated by Ukraine is hardly a measure of culpability. Ukraine is widely considered one of the more corrupt places on Earth, where paying the children and spouses of powerful people is routine. Indeed, it is quite common in this country, too — and I’ve criticized that practice for more than 30 years in Republican and Democratic administrations alike.

Yet Ukraine was a virtual gold rush for Washington’s elite. Paul Manafort made millions working for Viktor Yanukovych, Ukraine’s corrupt former president. Obama White House counsel Gregory Craig and his law firm tapped into Yanukovych, too. Tony Podesta, Democratic powerbroker and brother of Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta, and Vin Weber, a former Republican congressman, were implicated in Ukraine dealings.

Hunter Biden’s quest for Ukrainian gold took him to one of Yanukovych’s most controversial and corrupt associates, Mykola Zlochevsky, who leveraged his post as minister of ecology and natural resources to build a fortune. Before fleeing Ukraine, Zlochevsky paid Hunter Biden and several other Americans to be directors of his energy company, Burisma Holdings. Hunter Biden had no experience in the field — but he did have a notable connection to the vice president, who publicly has bragged about making clear to the Ukrainians that he alone controlled U.S. aid to the country. A stepson of former Secretary of State John Kerry also was asked to serve as a director but reportedly declined and warned Hunter Biden not to do it; Biden didn’t listen. He later told The New Yorker that “the decisions that I made were the right decisions for my family and for me.”

His decisions certainly were profitable, but they were not “right” as an ethical matter for himself or his father.

Joe Biden has insisted he never spoke with his son about his foreign dealings — an incredible but categorical statement. The then-vice president flew with his son on Air Force Two on an official trip to China but suggests they never discussed his son’s deal seeking $1.5 billion in investments with the state-backed Bank of China. During the trip, Hunter reportedly introduced his father to Chinese private equity executive Jonathan Li, who was part of that deal. Yet Biden insists he was never told of any business linkage or dealings.

If true, Biden was, at a minimum, willfully blind not to ask his son about potential conflicts or controversies. But it does not appear to be true, at least in part — because Hunter Biden has said he informed his father about the Ukraine deal.

All of this should be of some interest to the media, which has exhaustively — and rightfully — pursued foreign deals by the Trump family. And there is no reason why the media cannot pursue allegations against both the Trumps and the Bidens.

That, however, would counter the narrative that there’s “nothing wrong” with Hunter Biden’s dealings and that it’s all a “lie” that’s best to ignore. As Hartley explained in 1872, good manners dictate that you “never attempt to disparage an absent friend. It is the height of meanness.”
                            Jonathan Turley, The Hill

Comment

Working...
                            X