Fast internet - good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast internet - good thing?

Sure it's fast like hell, but I remember the suspense when dl-ing the ca. 60 (? IIRC) GB from Steam for XCOM2 plus addons. How long would it take? Would the dl speed be stable? Or would dls break down completely to be restarted from scratch (non-Steam and similar which continue from breaking point)?? What an adventure it all was back then!

Now it's all over in few mins...where's the sense of achievement in this?!?

I think the only way to bring back fun and thrill to dl-ing stuff is to vastly increase file sizes, so that stuff isn't over too fast....
    Blah

You could move to the Philippines and still enjoy the wonder and excitement.

Also, slow internet caps the amount of horrible things you can be exposed to in any given timeframe.

Comment

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - a good thing.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

There was a certain amount of anticipation that built up as you waited for things to download.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

350Mbps down and up. Thank you fiber. At this speed, I could host websites out of my house.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Erm, avez-vous fromage?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Download something? How very modern. There's nothing like installing it from a significant number of floppy disks. Will one be corrupted? Who knows? Sometimes I used to wonder if I had a special magnetic field that corrupted floppies...seemed to happen all the time.
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

This thread needs a poll.to find out whether people prefer
                - fast internet
                - slow internet

Comment

It is very fast. A family member dear person to me was duped (conned) into getting a double optical line (that's what it's called here) and I installed win 10 and it was over in 1 minute. And I was thinking something is wrong here. But nope. It was all downloaded in 1 minute. 200mbps or something. Ok.
                  NOONE NEEDS IT.

In a lesser time I'd judge the merits of a whole country on the speed of its internet. It's wrong.

Greece could have the slowest internet speed and still be the best country.

A country where life saving operations costing tens of thousands of euros are free.
                  Because Greeks.

Comment

Working...
                  X