Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climate Change "Debate"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by giblets View Post

    Just cut the military budget by 200 billion per year for ten years
    Good luck getting any Rs on board with it then.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

    Comment


    • #17
      They were never going to be on board. They need to be voted out.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by giblets View Post
        They were never going to be on board. They need to be voted out.
        When you really want that propose something that is realistic
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

        Comment


        • #19
          If Greenland melts - and it is melting now - seas will rise 20-25 ft. That would cover much of Florida and numerous coastal cities around the world. How many trillions will be spent to relocate? If Antarctica melted too seas would rise over 200 ft, that would cover...well... game over, game over man. Volcanoes cool us off but their somewhat sporadic nature are more temporary than Milankovitch cycles which are currently more conducive to a prolonged warming trend. The irony is by cleaning up our GHGS we're pumping into the atmosphere we warm the world even faster. It may be too late to stop Greenland melting.

          On the other hand ice ages would become less likely or reduced in their effect, all that water locked up in ice would rejoin the hydro cycle producing a wetter climate. We started warming the world long ago with slash and burn clearing practices and then with farming and animal domestication.

          The Garden of Eden was destroyed by global warming, during the ice age the Persian Gulf was a river system and rising seas covered it about 8,000 years ago. All those people had to move and we know they did because many settlements appear around the current Gulf at that time. Imagine what it will cost for billions of people to move.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
            No. Many Republicans accept that the climate is changing.
            Far less Republicans than most normal thinking people

            Ming: Why isn't this thread about climate change. Ur a climate denier! - MORE MADE UP NONSENSE FROM KIDIOT
            FIFY

            "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
            Lessons in Christianity.

            Keep on Civin'
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

            Comment


            • #21
              I'm not claiming that climate deniers don't exist, but as a normal person I don't act like people who disagree with me are one.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                as a normal person More Kidiot Nonsense and Lies
                FIFY

                "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
                Lessons in Christianity.

                Keep on Civin'
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                  If Greenland melts - and it is melting now - seas will rise 20-25 ft. That would cover much of Florida and numerous coastal cities around the world. How many trillions will be spent to relocate? If Antarctica melted too seas would rise over 200 ft, that would cover...well... game over, game over man. Volcanoes cool us off but their somewhat sporadic nature are more temporary than Milankovitch cycles which are currently more conducive to a prolonged warming trend. The irony is by cleaning up our GHGS we're pumping into the atmosphere we warm the world even faster. It may be too late to stop Greenland melting.

                  On the other hand ice ages would become less likely or reduced in their effect, all that water locked up in ice would rejoin the hydro cycle producing a wetter climate. We started warming the world long ago with slash and burn clearing practices and then with farming and animal domestication.

                  The Garden of Eden was destroyed by global warming, during the ice age the Persian Gulf was a river system and rising seas covered it about 8,000 years ago. All those people had to move and we know they did because many settlements appear around the current Gulf at that time. Imagine what it will cost for billions of people to move.
                  How much would it cost if that happened? Idk. It would have to be compared to whatever it would cost to prevent that and you even agree that we may not even be able to prevent it from happening. I really really don't think something like that can be prevented. That would be something like has never been done before. The closest thing would be the Marshall Plan.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

                    How much would it cost if that happened? Idk. It would have to be compared to whatever it would cost to prevent that and you even agree that we may not even be able to prevent it from happening. I really really don't think something like that can be prevented. That would be something like has never been done before. The closest thing would be the Marshall Plan.
                    [cyn]
                    Hey, lets do nothing against the flooding of all major population cednters on the coasts (and possibler vanishing of lots of inhabited islands, after all it may cost a lot of money
                    [/cyn]

                    I have to admit however, that this attitude if very fitting to todays Republican senators and representatives ...
                    the only time they don't shy away from costs is, when Trump hs one of his harebrained ideas (like the wall),
                    or when it comes to give tax cuts to themselves and their rich donors
                    Last edited by Proteus_MST; September 7, 2019, 02:49.
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The wall is peanuts compared to that.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                        The wall is peanuts compared to that.
                        The rising sea level that may get caused by climate change will have an impact on billions of people.
                        Including tens of millions people in the USA.

                        This will most likely be more costly than the costs of trying to prevent it (just think about havinbg to build totally new cities for the tens of misslions of people that get displaced in the USA ... and replacements for the industry that gets destroyed (for example the harbors facilities in those cities that will get flooded and need to be rebuilt somewhere else)

                        Also think about the economic opportunities that preventing the climate change offer:
                        For example the wind turbine and solar panel industry, or electric cars.
                        This is much more worth the investment than (like Trump does) supporting the coal industry
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          We can't even balance the federal budget and you think we are going to be able to prevent that from happening? It's not going to happen without bankrupting the US. Do you have any idea what that would cost?

                          The Ds want free Healthcare, free college, free everything. It's just not happening.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            We can't even balance the federal budget and you think we are going to be able to prevent that from happening? ....
                            You`ve got a point there.
                            Trying to prevent climate change might involve higher taxes for the rich, so it will encounter fierce opposition by the GOP
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

                              You`ve got a point there.
                              Trying to prevent climate change might involve higher taxes for the rich, so it will encounter fierce opposition by the GOP
                              Just like giblets. Do you think The Green New Deal is getting paid for with taxes?! This is as insane as making Mexico pay for the wall except x100.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                                We can't even balance the federal budget and you think we are going to be able to prevent that from happening? It's not going to happen without bankrupting the US. Do you have any idea what that would cost?
                                A lot less than it would cost not to do it.
                                "tout comprendre, c'est tout pardonner"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X