No announcement yet.

Whats for Dinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The use of insects as feed doesn’t get around the feed conversion ratio issue, and most likely exacerbates it. The insects themselves have feed conversion ratios that won’t be 1:1. Meaning it will take even more energy to produce a given amount of calories.

Aquaponics is cool, but is a material and energy inefficient way of producing plants and fish, and is prone to catastrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
      I do agree with the OP that if everyone went vegetarian then the environmental impact of civilization would be less. I am completely unwilling to do that myself but think it is great if other people do it.
      Vegetarian is better than most other diets, but 100% plant based is close to double the emissions reduction of even vegetarian.

You could be net carbon negative and still eat meat if you plant enough trees. The average American would need to about 1.5 hectares if reforesting degraded land to offset their life’s emissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
        The use of insects as feed doesn’t get around the feed conversion ratio issue, and most likely exacerbates it. The insects themselves have feed conversion ratios that won’t be 1:1. Meaning it will take even more energy to produce a given amount of calories.

Aquaponics is cool, but is a material and energy inefficient way of producing plants and fish, and is prone to catastrophe.
        The conversion ratio is going to be around 1:0.9 and the vast majority of people will not accept your declaration that they should all be vegans or vegetarians. Fact.

So maybe stop being so stupid and come back to where the vast majority of people actually will accept. Anything else is just mental masterbation.
        Last edited by Dinner; August 15, 2019, 21:38.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Your position is we should not state facts if there are people who will ignore facts or do what they know is harmful anyway?

The fact is we can reduce emissions via our diets. The fact is we can increase carbon sequestration by simple changes in land use. The fact is that through some combination of the two we can undo the damage we have done to the environment.

Comment

As for feed conversion ratios for insects, like with other animal feed ratios, they can vary quite a bit. But even if you were able to get it to your claimed 1:0.9 you are losing more ground when using them as animal feed.

Eating the insects directly would always be more efficient.

Comment

Most people on the left believe that the government has to force things on people. They usually don't say this unless you trick them. But this is why something like this will never be voluntary to the degree that it will make a difference. As long as Bernie Sanders can make a million dollars selling his book and say that's ok we will never see voluntary change.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Social changes do happen, usually leading government (though not always). For example, even most liberal politicians were not for gay marriage until after the majority of Americans were for it.

Comment

In the US the number of people who are vegan grew from 1% to 6% in from 2014 to 2017. That doesn’t include those who adopt a plant based diet with accepting the vegan label, or those adopting vegetarian or whole food diets which are also steps in the right direction. It’s gaining traction, and government is actually opposed to the movement, under the sway of meat and dairy (and feed) lobbies.

Comment

Social changes do happen, usually leading government (though not always). For example, even most liberal politicians were not for gay marriage until after the majority of Americans were for it.
                    Saying that social change happens doesn't mean it will change in a positive direction or the way that you want it to. Gay marriage is something that actually only affects a small minority of people. A bigger concern should be the the nuclear family and stability for children so that they will grow up to be socially responsible citizens. Then you will see more people contributing to the good instead of being just a bunch of virtue signalers.

Comment

In the US the number of people who are vegan grew from 1% to 6% in from 2014 to 2017. That doesn’t include those who adopt a plant based diet with accepting the vegan label, or those adopting vegetarian or whole food diets which are also steps in the right direction. It’s gaining traction, and government is actually opposed to the movement, under the sway of meat and dairy (and feed) lobbies.
                      Everyone is eating fast food still. McDonald's is a bigger problem than the government with all its advertising.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Saying that social change happens doesn't mean it will change in a positive direction or the way that you want it to. Gay marriage is something that actually only affects a small minority of people. A bigger concern should be the the nuclear family and stability for children so that they will grow up to be socially responsible citizens. Then you will see more people contributing to the good instead of being just a bunch of virtue signalers.
                        Allowing homosexual couples to adopt kids would contribute to this goal,
                        because it would allow more kids to grow up in families (even if it would be with 2 daddies or 2 mommies) instead of orphanages
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Allowing homosexual couples to adopt kids would contribute to this goal,
                          because it would allow more kids to grow up in families (even if it would be with 2 daddies or 2 mommies) instead of orphanages
                          What is the data? I know orphanages are not good places for children.

Comment

Then I guess only homophobes would be against it. Orphanages set the bar pretty low. Seems like a no brainer.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                            X