No announcement yet.

Star Trek Picard Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks woke, it will probably go broke.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Definitely lots of warning signs that this is not going to be the TNG we know and love. Still, on its own, it wasn't bad.
      "

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Also Amazon Prime Directive
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by EPW View Post
          Definitely lots of warning signs that this is not going to be the TNG we know and love. Still, on its own, it wasn't bad.
          There are 7 seasons and 4 movies of TNG if that's what you want. I'm excited to see something new set in Star Trek's future.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I hope it doesn't go the route of Discovery, which felt at times in s2 like they had to "tick" diversity points. It may all be well-intended, but personally I prefer a more subtle approach where any points they want to make re a specific topic come more naturally from the story or the way they set up characters. For example Expanse did stuff you can read as commentary on refugees/women/whatever, but it does not feel too clumsy or preachy when doing so.
            Blah

Comment

• -Jrabbit
              -Jrabbit commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with your point/hope, but that's a lot tougher to accomplish that you make it sound.

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

There are 7 seasons and 4 movies of TNG if that's what you want. I'm excited to see something new set in Star Trek's future.
            It can be new while still retaining the spirit of star trek. Making the federation a bunch of racists is pretty sad and undermines everything star trek stood for.
            "

Comment

It can be new while still retaining the spirit of star trek. Making the federation a bunch of racists is pretty sad and undermines everything star trek stood for.
              Star Trek VI?
              I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
              Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
              Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post

Star Trek VI?
                Conspiracies and evil admirals are a common star trek trope, yes. Evil Federation is supposed to be reserved for the alternate universe (or alternate timelines).
                "

Comment

The Federation was always racist against Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, and Cardassians.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Or at least earn it, you know. Its just lazy writing.
                    "

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

The Federation was always racist against Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, and Cardassians.
                      Uh, there were individuals who were federation citizens who were racist. But usually they came around if they were main characters. Usually that was the point of the ****ing episode. The federation as a whole was never racist.
                      "

Comment

The whole point of the federation was to be inclusive. You know humans are only a small subset of the federation's population, right? Have you ever watched the show?
                        "

Comment

I've only seen the first two episodes of Picard, but I actually don't know what you mean by the Federation being portrayed as racists.

Comment

Picard resigned because the federation wouldnt save the romulans. The anti android stuff.

I am glad they havent ruined Picards character yet. Though I suppose the tng movies already did that.
                            "

Comment

The Romulan Star Empire is the Federation's oldest enemy. Seems that has more to do with galactic politics than race.

There's always been discrimination against artificial life. Maddox wanted Data to be property. Pulaski didn't have the decency to pronounce his name correctly. Holograms (of the EMH variety) were used as slave labor.

But as far as regular old racism goes, I think it was much more prevalent than you're remembering. Spock was thought of (by McCoy and others) as being a heartless bastard because he was half-Vulcan. O'Brien regularly referred to Cardassians by the slur "cardies."

Comment

Working...
                              X