A question about morality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about morality.

So... The Amazon delivery guy seems to keep confusing my place for other people's places as twice before they have delivered boxes which clearly have the name and address of other people on them. Each time I dutifully walk it to the correct house and give the person the package explaining it had been delivered to my house by mistake.

Today I got home from work and found a MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G sitting on my door step. There is no name or address on it so I have no way of knowing to whom it belongs to. I asked one of my neighbors (an elderly man and his wife) if he saw who dropped it off but he said he had not noticed. It is all very strange as it is in the box but the box is not sealed and there is no address or any paperwork on the outside. What should I do?
    Last edited by Dinner; January 7, 2019, 19:37.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwj7ucyw4tzfAhULG3wKHT63ANMQgTYIoQ c

That is the item there. If I knew who's it was or where it came from then I would send it back but without that info what can I do other than ask around?

Comment

Comment

Maybe your neighbor bought it for you for being so honest in the past...
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

There is nothing you can do, until the person who made the errant delivery comes knocking to get it back. I’d just leave it by your door ready to return if someone comes asking. If not claimed in about 3 months, you’re probably able to consider it abandoned property.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I`d do it similar to Dauphin ... but I would take it into my house (and leave the package unopened for several weeks).
            Whoever dropped it at your home door surely knows where he dropped it, so if it was mistakenly dropped at your door, he can knock or ring your door bell, in order to get it back.
            (not sure whether you live in a family home (where the appartment door is the house door) or an appartment building (where your appartment door and house door are different ones), but in my case it is the former one, so anyone walking on the sidewalk would see the package and get tempted to just take it)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I asked several neighbors if they ordered a video card (I did not say which type it was so if they say yes they have to identify which brand and model) but I will keep asking. I do try to be nice to all my neighbors, say hello, helping them ove stuff with my truck, and generally just trying to be a friendly person.

I guess I will keep asking around and keep it by the door in case anyone knocks.
              Last edited by Dinner; January 7, 2019, 21:44.

Comment

Good news! Life is meaningless and nothing matters, so you can do whatever you want with the package.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  Good news! Life is meaningless and nothing matters, so you can do whatever you want with the package.
                  Nihilism sucks, bro. Nietzsche went insane trying to even explain it.
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by ZEE View Post

Nihilism sucks, bro. Nietzsche went insane trying to even explain it.
                    Insanity isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you are living in an insane world
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Insanity isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you are living in an insane world
                      Or a world where nothing matters!
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Are you 100% sure there isn't a small Guatemalan child hiding in the box? Maybe you should set in on fire, just in case!
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

My PC is fairly new but not exactly top of the line. I have a mini tower and don't even know if it would fit in there or if my power supply is large enough. It is a Dell XPS 8920 (I took delivery of it around Halloween time), I7-7700 @ 3.6 GHz, only 8 gigs of memory, Win 10 64 bit, 1 TB drive (I don't even know how fast), while the current video card is a... Not sure really. I opened the device manager and clicked on display adaptors and it said there were two. "AMD Radeon RX 560" and "Intel HD Graphics 630". Display is a 30" LG OLED (not sure the model).
                          Last edited by Dinner; January 7, 2019, 23:45.

Comment

If I call Amazon what do I say? I mean, I don't even know if it is Amazon who delivered it (that is just a guess), there is no packing list, name, address, or shipping number so... Do I just ask did anyone on my street ordered a product like this?
                            Last edited by Dinner; January 7, 2019, 22:36.

Comment

As said, just keep it by the door, and continue to ask your neighbors... beyond that, don't worry. And if it was amazon, it would have been written all over the box.
                              And if nobody shows up, just upgrade your power supply in your computer if needed. If I can switch out a power unit, you can. That is a far better graphics card than the AMD Radeon RX 560. Your motherboard chip should be able to handle it... the card itself has all the memory it needs.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X