No announcement yet.

Brexit divorce deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boris Johnson wanted to be the “romantic, patriotic” hero of Brexit despite believing the Leave campaign would be “crushed like a toad under the harrow”, David Cameron has said.

“Minutes before he went out to explain why he was going to be on the side of Brexit, he sent me a text saying, ‘Brexit will be crushed like a toad under the harrow.’ But I can only conclude that – he’d never argued for it before – he thought it was going to lose and that’s why he made the choice.”

Also, water is wet.

Comment

• Originally posted by BBC
      Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule
      Boris Johnson's decision to suspend Parliament was unlawful, the Supreme Court has ruled.

Mr Johnson suspended - or prorogued - Parliament for five weeks earlier this month, but judges said it was wrong to stop MPs carrying out duties in the run-up to Brexit on 31 October.

Supreme Court president Lady Hale said "the effect on the fundamentals of democracy was extreme."

The PM says he "strongly disagrees" with the ruling but will "respect" it.

A raft of MPs have now called for the prime minister to resign and some have said they would attempt to force him out if he did not go of his accord.

'Undeterred'
      Mr Johnson argued he wanted to carry out the prorogation so he could outline his government's new policies in a Queen's Speech.

But critics said he was trying to stop MPs from scrutinising his Brexit plans and the suspension was far longer than necessary.

At a speech in New York, the PM said he "refused to be deterred" on getting on with "an exciting and dynamic domestic agenda", and to do that he would need a Queen's Speech.

The court ruling does not prevent him from proroguing again in order to hold one, as long as it does not stop Parliament from carrying out its duties "without reasonable justification".

Delivering its conclusions, the Supreme Court's president, Lady Hale, said: "The decision to advise Her Majesty to prorogue Parliament was unlawful because it had the effect of frustrating or preventing the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions without reasonable justification."

Lady Hale said the unanimous decision of the 11 justices meant Parliament had effectively not been prorogued - the decision was null and of no effect.

She added that it was important to emphasise the case was "not about when and on what terms" the UK left the EU, but about the decision to suspend Parliament.

Speaker of the Commons John Bercow said MPs needed to return "in light of the explicit judgement", and he had "instructed the House of Commons authorities to prepare... for the resumption of business" from 11:30 BST on Wednesday.

He said prime minister's questions would not go ahead, but there would be "full scope" for urgent questions, ministerial statements and applications for emergency debates.
      Boris Johnson says he "profoundly disagrees" with the judges' decision, but MPs will return on Wednesday.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Those activist judges

Blah

Comment

• Deal no #2.

Let's see if Boris gets it through parliament
          Blah

Comment

• pchang
            pchang commented
            Editing a comment
            Odds seem low considering the DUP are against it.

• MPs voted to delay. What will BoJo do now?
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• To delay voting on his “deal” which is just May’s nonBrexit with one or two very minor tweaks. My guess is it won’t pass Parliament, and it really shouldn’t because it remains a steaming pile of excrement, and no deal is the result. That is actually a good thing because no deal is the best possible long term solution.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
              MPs voted to delay. What will BoJo do now?
              BoJo didn't want to anger the parliament needlessly and obeyed.
              The extension request already has arrived on the desk of Donald Tusk

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/st...61904427143171
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• The the extension request say “I am only sending this because I have to. Please say no.”?
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

The the extension request say “I am only sending this because I have to. Please say no.”?
                  More or less.

Actually Boris sent 2 letters to Tusk:
                  1. The extension rquest (which he didn't personally sign)
                  2. Another, longer, letter, in which he explained that an extension of the Brexit wouldn't actually be in the interest of the UK and the EU

Here Letter 1:

And letter 2:
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• lol too bad they're going to give him teh extension

Comment

The the extension request say “I am only sending this because I have to. Please say no.”?
                      More than likely the EU will want to tack on demands in exchange for an extension; Boris has said he will not make any compromises and will actively work to use their MEPs to make the EU as dysfunctional as possible to jam things up. That is exactly as it should be because this farce needs to end but the EU is trying to drag it out hoping they can eventually reverse the will of the people.

I don’t see it working especially since pro-Brexit voters will be absolutely incensed, some possibly to the point of violence at their election results being ignored. As they should be.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Yeah the seniors who voted for Brexit will be rioting.

Comment

• Votes are not forever things. We don’t vote once and then let the results stand forever (as much as Trump would like to be President for life). If the people change their minds so be it.

Comment

• They voted to stay in the Common Market in the 1975 referendum, and since referendum results are binding for all eternity, a "no deal" brexit would be violating the Will of the People.

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                              Actually Boris sent 2 letters to Tusk:
                              1. The extension rquest (which he didn't personally sign)
                              2. Another, longer, letter, in which he explained that an extension of the Brexit wouldn't actually be in the interest of the UK and the EU
                              He could have shortened things quite a bit if he just sent one letter asking and not asking for an extension
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X