No announcement yet.

Brexit divorce deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Scotland still loves us

"Europe, let's continue our love affair", urges a pro-EU Scottish campaign, launched on March 29, the day the UK was meant to leave the EU.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• I was looking back on the archives, and found this from 16 years ago:

Any referendums on Europe, the Euro etc are pretty pointless.

1) Most British are prejudiced against Europe from the off (poor metric martyrs, save our bendy bananas! ). So even if the cost/benefit of voting yes on any European issue is neutral we will overwhelmingly vote "No!". We cut our political nose to spite our European face.

2) Most British are clueless about European issues. A Sun poll pointed out 84% of people want a referendum on this EU constitution. At the same time they said 81% of people didn't even know there was a draft constitution to vote on.

3) The truth of the pro and anti arguments for European referenda issues will not see the light of day. Any campaign would turn into a mudslinging of anti-Europeanism bordering on racism versus pro-European misguided Utopianism. The public will end up voting on whether they want to be more xenophobic or more idealistic.

I don't think referenda on Europe are a good thing for the UK, we need to be lead on such issues simply because the populous can not be trusted. What the government needs to do before it ever considers referenda on European issues (or passing bills without referanda) is raise the profile of Europe and its institutions so we have a clue about what we or they are voting on, the context of such a vote, and to dispel all the myths.

im surprised my assessment held up so well.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Votes are in:

No winners again....
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• God must love us.
                We were the most banana land and yet it were the brits that inflicted that nearly fatal self injury on themselves.
                Too many dinners

Comment

• Fatal self injury? No deal is going to be just fine in the long run. Hell, it will be even in the medium term. Freedom from the EU and the ability to steike new trade deals with the rest of the world are going to insure that. Best of all it preaer es the UK's territorial intigrity and will show what a lie the EU really is when it falsely claims redit for everything good when it is really just a drag on most positive economic news.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• A glorius endeavor that apparently starts with stockpiling toilet paper and medecins

Comment

• You edited in territorial integrity. Yeah that's gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin
                        I was looking back on the archives, and found this from 16 years ago:

Any referendums on Europe, the Euro etc are pretty pointless.

1) Most British are prejudiced against Europe from the off (poor metric martyrs, save our bendy bananas! ). So even if the cost/benefit of voting yes on any European issue is neutral we will overwhelmingly vote "No!". We cut our political nose to spite our European face.

2) Most British are clueless about European issues. A Sun poll pointed out 84% of people want a referendum on this EU constitution. At the same time they said 81% of people didn't even know there was a draft constitution to vote on.

3) The truth of the pro and anti arguments for European referenda issues will not see the light of day. Any campaign would turn into a mudslinging of anti-Europeanism bordering on racism versus pro-European misguided Utopianism. The public will end up voting on whether they want to be more xenophobic or more idealistic.

I don't think referenda on Europe are a good thing for the UK, we need to be lead on such issues simply because the populous can not be trusted. What the government needs to do before it ever considers referenda on European issues (or passing bills without referanda) is raise the profile of Europe and its institutions so we have a clue about what we or they are voting on, the context of such a vote, and to dispel all the myths.

im surprised my assessment held up so well.
                        What a fantastic thread!

Funny how all the sane people on the forum argued against what a crap idea the referendum would be and why - and lo and behold...!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

"Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• I think the brexit vote was one of the last anti-systemic votes that completely ended with the slovak election.

Comment

• Now delayed until Halloween. Will we have Brexit costumes? What would they even look like? Perhaps, Boris Johnson having a bad hair day?
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
                              Now delayed until Halloween. Will we have Brexit costumes? What would they even look like? Perhaps, Boris Johnson having a bad hair day?
                              How would that be any different from Bojo on any other day?
                              I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                              Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                              Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• brexit has cost the brits 66 bliions already.
                                Imagine if all that money were give to the NHS.
                                They could even afford to give poor dinner a new brain, free of chare.

Comment

Working...
                                X