No announcement yet.

Brexit divorce deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been told I have an "extra class" banana.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
      Did you know that prior to Brexit, the U.K. had the highest economic growth rate in the G7 and that since Brexit, the UKs growth rate has dropped to the point where it is now the worst of the G7?
      Yes, it is mostly due to people holding off on new investments while the wait for clarity. That is one of those short term costs.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...us-in-cornwall

With other words, even if your banana is straigth as a stick or is curved so much that it goes in circles, you can sell it in the EU ... but it won't be classified as a class 1 banana
        They got tired of being made fun of and then relaxed the banana regulations a bit but don't pretend they didn't used to have the law until they got shamed into fixing it. It was originally pushed by the French to give priority to bananas from former French colonies in the Caribbean instead of cheaper, better bananas from American companies grown in Latin America.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post

They got tired of being made fun of and then relaxed the banana regulations a bit but don't pretend they didn't used to have the law until they got shamed into fixing it. It was originally pushed by the French to give priority to bananas from former French colonies in the Caribbean instead of cheaper, better bananas from American companies grown in Latin America.
          Nope:

However, a proposal banning straight bananas and other misshapen fruits was brought before the European Parliament in 2008 and defeated

So, it was proposed, but never made it through the parliament
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I want Pretzel-shaped Bananas!
            I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

So why are you hating banana-shaped pretzels ???
              Blah

Comment

they can't put a limit to my banana. enough said.

Comment

Yeah, I checked. They basically got shamed into changing the banana law in 2008 but it still makes a good example because it really was something the dumb asses did.

Comment

Cheap bananas American companies ship around the world should be banned. Disgusting :banana:

Comment

The main reason the economy for most of the United States has sucked for so long (minus a few bubbles which popped) is due to over regulation, high taxes, and a lack of free trade. I mean the USA even bans Kinder Surprise eggs. It is just absurd.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                      -Jrabbit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We have better ways of tragically endangering our children.

Originally posted by Dinner

The main reason the economy for most of Europe has sucked for so long (minus a few bubbles which popped) is due to over regulation, high taxes, and a lack of free trade. I mean the EU even regulates how curved bananas have to be in order to be legal to sell. It is just absurd.
                    I can't believe you've been sucked in by the Euromyths - you really are a totally brain-dead piece of ****!!!

Here: https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK...ths-a-z-index/

****wit!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

"Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

There's even a Euromyth about EU regulation of pizza sizes - a subject we all know is very close to your heart!

Keeping you up-to-date with the latest news from the European Commission Representation in the UK

You ineffable ********!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

"Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

It actually was true prior to the reforms in 2008, fool.

Comment

How does May justify not revealing the full legal analysis of the Brexit deal to Parliament? Now that the Speaker says the government probably broke the law by not revealing the full analysis, are there any consequences?
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Dinner
                            Dinner commented
                            Editing a comment
                            She finds it embarrassing so she is trying to hide it. She will probably be found in contempt of Parliament but I don't know if that really means anything.

I understand the immediate consequences are political costs -- Mays gov is already in a bad position, and this comes in right before an important decision/debate on Brexit, where she'd need all the support she can get, so this does rather undermine her further (below it's said to be more a distraction, not a disaster, tho).

Beyond that I found this:

Commons Speaker John Bercow said late on Monday there was an "arguable case" that a contempt of Parliament had been committed.

However, the government then tabled an amendment to have the issue referred to MPs on the Privileges Committee to investigate whether its response fulfils all its obligations, taking into account any relevant past cases.

BBC political correspondent Iain Watson said any defeat over the legal advice would be likely to come as "an unwelcome distraction rather than a disaster" for the prime minister.

"While ultimately a parliamentary committee could decide to reprimand or suspend ministers, it's highly likely no sanction would be applied before next week's crucial vote on the Brexit deal," he said.

Somewhat down in: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46435128
                          Blah

Comment

Working...
                          X