Stuff to do in Copenhagen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff to do in Copenhagen

I'm going to Copenhagen for my honeymoon, what should I do there? I'll be there in November. We'll be spending a day in Malmo but need ideas for what to do the rest of the time.

It is one of my wife's favorite cities, but I only spent one day there. I would see Tycho's observatory (nearby), palace and the mermaid (be surprised by how unassuming it is!). I also like just walking through the European cities.

I spent most of my time in Lund, which isn't Malmo, and is the location of the oldest scandinavian university. I mostly worked during my visits there.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
      Uncle Sparky commented
      Editing a comment
      Uppsala has the oldest University in Sweden.

NM (was about to partake in a university pissing contest with lacking info)

Another edit: Improbably enough, my post count at the writing of this text is the founding year of the other candidate university I was about to mention...
    Last edited by Meticulous Man; June 27, 2018, 12:34.

Comment

I worked (for 2 years) at Uppsala University which argued that they were the oldest university in Scandinavia because the original university in Lund was closed (with the current one opened only in 1666) due to Catholic/Protestant conflicts.

JM
      (The original Lund university opened in 1425, Uppsala University opened in 1477.)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A lot of universities closed and re-opened during the reformation. I wonder why Wiki says that Lund university is different then the earlier Lund university despite sharing location (next to the Cathedral)...

JM
        (Compare https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lund_University to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...uous_operation , which was older was a source of conflict between my colleagues in Lund and Uppsala.)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Eat at Noma.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            It is one of my wife's favorite cities, but I only spent one day there. I would see Tycho's observatory (nearby), palace and the mermaid (be surprised by how unassuming it is!). I also like just walking through the European cities.

I spent most of my time in Lund, which isn't Malmo, and is the location of the oldest scandinavian university. I mostly worked during my visits there.

JM
            Oh Tycho's observatory is a good idea. She studied physics and is a huge space geek, I'm sure she'll love that. Thanks.

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            Eat at Noma.
            Just looked into this and it's $750 for both of us to eat there which is more than a bit outside my price range, sadly. Not that it matters; the restaurant is sold out every day we'll be there. But I bet the food is good.

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post

Oh Tycho's observatory is a good idea. She studied physics and is a huge space geek, I'm sure she'll love that. Thanks.
              That could be a bit problematic to visit since it was destroyed in 1601 I guess that JM had Rundetårn in his mind and that is worth a visit though it isn't connected with Tycho. Niels Bohr Institute are also a possibility though I have no idea about what to see and if it's possible.
              If you are into art, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek or Lousisiania are worth a visit (many more but that is a good couple.
              There are lots of other things to see, but since I have no idea about your interests it's a bit difficult to mention anything but the obvious.

Just looked into this and it's $750 for both of us to eat there which is more than a bit outside my price range, sadly. Not that it matters; the restaurant is sold out every day we'll be there. But I bet the food is good.
              Yeah, Noma is a bit expensive, but there are lots of other good restaurants so you wont starve - just remember to not tip - it's included in the price Though, if you are satisfied with the service 5-10% is fine.

I live some 30 km from central Cph, so if you have questions, I'll try to answer

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Isn't Copenhagen, where you have this self administrated alternative city district?

Addendum yes, just googled:
                Freetown Christiana
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I visited the Round Tower (also good), but when I was looking it up I read about the Island of Ven between Sweden and Denmark. http://www.ventrafiken.se/en/about-ven

I assume that it is a day trip from Copenhagen (looks to be a 2-3 hour trip if you time it right, by public transport).

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

If it was in the summer, a visit to Hven could be a reasonable trip, but not in november - it would be rainy and cold tour with nothing much to see.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Ah, I missed the month somehow.

My stays in Lund were mostly in October and November. It is likely to be rainy.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

With a bit of luck it could even be a week with snow

Steven Weinberg

Comment

What is that Victorian era park/amusement park in the city? I forget the name.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                            Uncle Sparky commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Tivoli. It wouldn't be too interesting in November.

This thread needs more obscure links IMO.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                          X