Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I hear is "brain storm" or "green storm"

Comment

I hear them screaming! Screaming in my mind! They tell me to burn things, kill people, watch Fox News, Entertainment Tonight and vote Conservative!
      I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
      Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
      Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Why does it keep saying kill for Satan?

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          Why does it keep saying kill for Satan?

If you play it backwards; it says Justin Beiber Forever!
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

In terms of audio, it's not even clever. Simple overlay mixing 2 channels into one. Boring.

That makes me think it's either harvesting data, testing propagation, or distributing mal-/spy-/software.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Is that how they did it? Basically, just playing the two sounds together and recording both? I could hear a bit of both, when I listened at work. The hotness of the trend does somewhat mystify me, but then I'm not cool.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Similarly, I can hear either/both depending on focus. The alleged "idea" behind it is to show that different people hear/perceive things differently. DUH!

As we age, many people slowly lose their high frequency perception. Since Yanny is higher in pitch than Laurel, those with high-freq loss will tend to hear Laurel. But there are so many variable involved, that's still fairly meaningless. First, both are in normal "speech" range, and age-related high frequency loss is way up the scale from that.

Other things that can affect how you perceive this: crappy computer speakers, file compression, environmental background noise, etc. Turns out the gear you heard the file on first will color your perception on other platforms as well - which is at least moderately interesting.

But basically, the whole thing is so meaningless that even the entire pro audio industry - which is full of self-important blowhards like me - is having trouble finding anything insightful to say about it.

The big question is, how did this thing get traction? It's kind of inherently uninteresting...
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'd asume the little demonstration isn't aimed at proifessional sound technicians or neurobiologists, but rather at "normal people" who may not actually be aware of the fact that each individual perceives the world in a (sometimes totally) different manner
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The claim being made is that the original was an innocent recording of "laurel" done about 10 years ago for vocabulary.com. Someone played it, heard "yanny" and thought it was weird. A friend then posted it to Reddit, and it proceeded to go viral from there.

The oddball things that people find engaging never cease to amaze me.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                      In terms of audio, it's not even clever. Simple overlay mixing 2 channels into one. Boring.

That makes me think it's either harvesting data, testing propagation, or distributing mal-/spy-/software.
                      They didn't do that, as far as I know. It's just a computer generated voice that's supposed to be saying "laurel".

Comment

It is a human voice. The opera singer hired by vocabulary.com to record it (because of his excellent diction) has been documented.

Comment

But is he a robot?

Comment

From my own experience, humans can't make opera sounds. I've tried. Not possible. Must be a robot or alien!

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                              From my own experience, humans can't make opera sounds. I've tried. Not possible. Must be a robot or alien!
                              Yanny, Laurel, Robot? Lobot!

Comment

Working...
                              X