X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post

True.

OK, you win this debate.
    YES. I DID IT. I HAVE WON. THAT'S IT EVERYBODY. WE CAN SHUT THIS WHOLE THING DOWN NOW.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

First and foremost I'd like to thank my father and brothers for teaching me that no argument is too insignificant to litigate endlessly, long after the women we think we're impressing with our rhetorical skills have left.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        First and foremost I'd like to thank my father and brothers for teaching me that no argument is too insignificant to litigate endlessly, long after the women we think we're impressing with our rhetorical skills have left.
        I think the last woman left Apolyton over a year and a half ago, and that probably was one of MWHC's plethora of DLs.

Comment

A Republican congressional candidate is facing a backlash after saying that Puerto Ricans who moved to Florida in the wake of Hurricane Maria last year should not be able to register to vote in the state.

Florida Republican has said that Puerto Ricans, who are U.S. Citizens, living on the mainland shouldn't be allowed to vote and should be sent "back where they belong".
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
            Far-right demagoguery appears to be on the rise throughout the world. The US has Trump, but Britain has Brexit and actual Nazis are gaining power in Europe. Italy had a Trumpian leader long before Trump in Berlusconi. So I don't see a good reason to come up with a causal explanation for Trump that is distinctly American rather than part of a broader global trend.
            Not to forget Putin and Erdogan, who also preceded Trump with regards to being far right authoritatian leaders (both probably role models Trump would love to emulate, if only the democratic safeguards in the USA weaker)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
              This view about large scale individualism (being more important than the collective) surely seems to be the view that is politically dominant in the USA (even Obama didn't dare to go as far left as proposing a single payer health insurance, for example, although he took a lot of steps forwards towards getting a larger percentage of americans insured)
              How many people in Europe were convicted of criticizing Islam in Europe last week? We like our rights thank you.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Not to forget Putin and Erdogan, who also preceded Trump with regards to being far right authoritatian leaders (both probably role models Trump would love to emulate, if only the democratic safeguards in the USA weaker)
                Why do you keep calling Trump an authoritarian? That is a lie. Why do you keep lying over and over and accusing people of lying?

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                  -Jrabbit commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He obviously learned it from Trump.

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                "Please God ... anything but more wealth! I'm working 2 jobs just to pay the bills and that's exactly how I like it. Don't you dare give me a raise evil capitalist overlords!" - said everyone in Kidland
                Most people don't work 2 jobs. You have watched one too many Michael Moore movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

How many people in Europe were convicted of criticizing Islam in Europe last week? We like our rights thank you.
                  If we talk about he EU ... not all too many I would say ... it would also depend on the definition of "criticizing Islam" (example: death threats or insults are no criticism)

Why do you keep calling Trump an authoritarian? That is a lie. Why do you keep lying over and over and accusing people of lying?
                  Yes, I probably should rather say "Wannabe-Authoritarian".
                  He would love to get rid of free press and the separation of powers in the democratic state (as can be seen in his constant insults and threats towards the DOJ, the FBI and the free press, his attempts to have the head of FBI swear loyalty to himself, at his rage over not being able to directly give orders to, for example, the DOJ and so on).

Fortunately the USA are neither Russia, nor Turkey (not to forget that Trump lacks the knowledge/Intelligence of a Putin or Erdogan), so it is a lot harder for Trump.
                  Else, I guess, the USA would already have the highest judges of the country come into Trump Tower every morning, to have breakfast with Trump and receive their personal orders from him (as it is in Erdogans Turkey )

Tho quote WIkipedia:
                  Traditional authoritarian regimes are those "in which the ruling authority (generally a single person)" is maintained in power "through a combination of appeals to traditional legitimacy, patron-client ties and repression, which is carried out by an apparatus bound to the ruling authority through personal loyalties". An example is Ethiopia under Haile Selassie I.[5]

I think this totally fits into the type of authoritarian regime Trump would like to institute (if he, unhindered, were able to)
                  Repression of a free press, heads of the different branches of the government who (secretly) swear loyalty to Trump personally (and not to the state) patron client ties from Trump to the diverse members of his government (which fits into Trumps bottom-down style of management) where people can get fired for not doing the things Trump wants them to do
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

How many have been convicted for insulting Islam?

Comment

If we talk about he EU ... not all too many I would say ... it would also depend on the definition of "criticizing Islam" (example: death threats or insults are no criticism)

Yes, I probably should rather say "Wannabe-Authoritarian".
                      He would love to get rid of free press and the separation of powers in the democratic state (as can be seen in his constant insults and threats towards the DOJ, the FBI and the free press, his attempts to have the head of FBI swear loyalty to himself, at his rage over not being able to directly give orders to, for example, the DOJ and so on).

Fortunately the USA are neither Russia, nor Turkey (not to forget that Trump lacks the knowledge/Intelligence of a Putin or Erdogan), so it is a lot harder for Trump.
                      Else, I guess, the USA would already have the highest judges of the country come into Trump Tower every morning, to have breakfast with Trump and receive their personal orders from him (as it is in Erdogans Turkey )

Tho quote WIkipedia:

I think this totally fits into the type of authoritarian regime Trump would like to institute (if he, unhindered, were able to)
                      Repression of a free press, heads of the different branches of the government who (secretly) swear loyalty to Trump personally (and not to the state) patron client ties from Trump to the diverse members of his government (which fits into Trumps bottom-down style of management) where people can get fired for not doing the things Trump wants them to do
                      More lies

Comment

Here's a model of a basically competent republican president.
                        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Has it ever occurred to you that most of us are not trying to get wealthy?
                          Please provide a link to support this. This should be entertaining
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/news/giuliani-...230514915.html

Trump's lawyer Guiliani has stopped even denying rhat Trump worked with Putin to undermine our democracy and now is claiming... so what? It is not a crime (except it is in hundreds of ways it is and he knows it).

Thus why Trump is now breaking all rules wrt the Department of Justice. He wouldn't be so brazen unless he was really panicked. He knows law enforcement has the goods so now he is resorting to extreme measures.
                            Last edited by Dinner; May 23, 2018, 11:38.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                              https://www.yahoo.com/news/giuliani-...230514915.html

Trump's lawyer Guiliani has stopped eveb denying rhat Trump worked with Putin to undermine or democracy and now is claiming so what? It is not a crime (except it is in hundreds of ways and he knows it).

Thus why Trump is now breaking all rules wrt the Department of Justice. He wouldn't be so brazen unless he was really panicked. He knows law enforcement has the goods so now he is resorting to extreme measures.
                              Always shifting the goalposts (and intentionally forgetting what they said/claimed the day before) seems to be a speciality of the Trump administration

Comment

Working...
                              X