What do you wish you knew more about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you wish you knew more about?

About 6 years ago, I wished I knew more about astronomy, math, and physics. So I accrued thousands of dollars in student loan debt acquiring a piece of paper that convinced others I had done so. What I'm saying is this is a "be careful what you wish for" thread. I certainly wouldn't recommend attempting to learn anything.

Anyway, very broadly I wish I knew more about economics and history, because those are both fields where I have attempted as much as possible to eliminate the folk theories I grew up with and now consequently feel very uncertain about my beliefs regarding either. What about you all?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

I just wish I could keep up with all the computer advances. Hardware, software and mainly OSs. Just when I get comfortable with an OS it get's replaced. It's all the little nuances that drive me crazy.
    And I'm supposed to be an IT professional so I always get asked questions.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

History, economy, computers etc. there you can read a book and understand what is going on. Women ? Nope.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I want to understand neuroscience. I am pretty confident I can do that.

I also want to know Hebrew, Greek, Hindi, Mandarin, and more. I am not so confident about any of those.

JM
        Last edited by Jon Miller; January 22, 2018, 20:06.
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

History, botany, zoology, anatomy, literature. I'd say women, but I think that may be in the "careful what you wish for" basket.

Comment

Nutrition, plants, and speak Visayan and Tagalog fluently.

There's so much competing information about nutrition it's a difficult subject to sort through, and likely the most important one in regards to quality of life. Plants factor into that, as well as to my livelihood and enjoyment of my free time. Everyday I learn a bit more about "weeds" and their uses ... there's so much to learn.

And being able to talk to people ... that may be a double edged sword. I could could always pretend to not be able to speak fluently ... if only I could convince people I don't speak English too then I'd be set!

Comment

Well, I need to learn a LOT of anatomy and physiology soon, to get into the the PT assistant program. Working on it.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                if only I could convince people I don't speak English too then I'd be set!
                I manage it sometimes.

JM
                (This is probably one of my last trips to Chile. I intend to give my resignation whether I find a new physics position or not by June. I will miss being able to go days without talking to people. I love my family, and would not trade them for the world. But ... )
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Nothing. I am prepared as much as I am able to transfer to the next life. My soul is in the hands of the gods (demons) who repaired and saved me. I am in overtime in this life. I am 40 years old should have died about 10 years ago.

I'm ready.
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

So you won't be taking notes anymore when Kid posts?

Comment

"More" about everything , but specifically: economics, languages, computer/coding - yeah (in no particular order).

And cooking. Though I'm improving.
                      Blah

Comment

If you haven't yet learned more about a thing, what do you think has prevented you from doing so?

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                        Women ? Nope.
                        Women? What more do you need to know about them? Honestly this "women are mysterious creatures" thing is kind of eye-rolling.

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                        I want to understand neuroscience. I am pretty confident I can do that.
                        Same. Already a field I've been interested in for a long time, but I'd like to be even more knowledgeable. (When I was considering going back to school, I definitely considered neuroscience as an alternative to astronomy.)
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                          If you haven't yet learned more about a thing, what do you think has prevented you from doing so?
                          A mix of other priorities (aka time) and laziness mostly.

Blah

Comment

Catanese
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              Women? What more do you need to know about them? Honestly this "women are mysterious creatures" thing is kind of eye-rolling.
                              I guess it depends how you define words like "know" or "understand." I am aware that women tend to think very differently, and I have a rough feel for what those differences are, so you could say I know about women, or at least about my wife. But you could say I don't understand as well, because I don't feel any of the same needs myself. I'm content to observe how the differences work out. The oddity of women makes them more interesting.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X