No announcement yet.

Moral Grandfathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many acts of first world consumption are non-optional. I can't go without food, clothing, shelter, transportation, or various supplies (a computer, for example, is really not optional, and pressure to own a smartphone I don't want is growing because many activities, including work activities, are increasingly structured around the assumption that everyone has one). Whereas I barely ever drink, and I don't believe you do at all. Plenty of people don't touch alcohol.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It is now legal to require Medicaid recipients in Kentucky to work and/or go through a lot of bureaucratic hoops to maintain their coverage. This was illegal prior to about 1 week ago. I think the law was correct in the past.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

During Prohibition, more people died from drinking illegal made booze than killed by mobsters. The US government policies were responsible for these deaths.
        It wasn't just the violent Prohibition-era gang wars that were dangerous to Americans drinking homemade moonshine and bathtub gin. According to the Dec. 26, 1922 edition of the New York Times, five...

My grandfathers arranging for truckloads of whisky to cross into the US were providing a needed service.
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Both beside the point. The choice of the individual to drink, at least in contexts where s/he did not know the liquor's provenance, remained in effect a choice to participate in a market dominated (at least in urban areas) by criminals, and thus willingly contributed to criminal activity for the sake of getting tipsy. This remains true regardless of the stupidity of government policy or whatever your grandfathers did.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
          X