Moral Grandfathering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral Grandfathering

During Prohibition, people drank. They were breaking the law, but odds are we don't condemn them for doing so because drinking is allowed now and we think that's probably the way it should be. Are there cases where this might not be so? That is, are there acts which are legal now but which we would still say were wrong to commit when the law was different? If so, what distinguishes the first case from the second?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Hm, difficult - stuff that's illegal in the past is formally wrong then, but if you add in "someth. that is legal now" (making in not wrong today) then it's hard to argue why we should still see it as wrong back then....
    Blah

Comment

Wartime laws, like turning lights off at night. Eminently sensible in the blitz. Stupid law today.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        During Prohibition, people drank. They were breaking the law, but odds are we don't condemn them for doing so because drinking is allowed now and we think that's probably the way it should be. Are there cases where this might not be so? That is, are there acts which are legal now but which we would still say were wrong to commit when the law was different? If so, what distinguishes the first case from the second?
        Laws without any moral implication.
        Financial/banking laws, which change all the time but have very little moral implication (not considering any imact). When it's illegal determines when it's considered wrong.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If by “we” we mean a significant fraction of the population not necessarily including ourselves, there are many examples. Sodomy, homosexual marriage/adoption, marijuana use. As the % of population we consider significant drops the more examples there are.

Comment

Some laws are moral, some are not... Prohibition was immoral, it dont matter that booze is legal now. Seems adultery would fit the bill but I dont know if its legal now as opposed to illegal in the past.

Comment

Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Weed is the obvious parallel.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't think it's a great one since pot wasn't really legal in modern times so it's not like a lot of hippies in the 60's were smoking it legally prior. Since it's been illegal for most alive today, it's doesn't have the same vibe.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Laws related to health come to mind.
                    Old abrahamic laws forbidding to eat pork made sense without fridges.
                    No defecating within the camp limits back then; today our toilets are even inside our houses.
                    The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I think it's perfectly reasonable to make the case that it was immoral to drink during Prohibition. At least, if you were aware that the alcohol was mostly provided by gangsters, and thus that your purchase was sending money to men who did terrible things. In effect, you're deciding that you want a beer badly enough that you don't care if you're giving money to murderers and extortionists, and fueling a gang war. I mean, if we can get upset about blood diamonds and fair trade produce, why not about booze? Or weed?
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Both my grandfathers helped supply Americans with booze during your Prohibition. They weren't doing anything illegal or immoral from a Canadian perspective. Neither were gangsters.
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Well, Wiki says Al Capone was only responsible for 33 deaths, so you may be on to something there.

EDIT: Sorry, grammatical ambiguity; "neither were gangsters" could mean neither of your grandfathers was a gangster, or that gangsters weren't doing anything illegal or immoral. In any case, a lot of that booze was caught up in violent crime, and a lot of people died for it.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            I think it's perfectly reasonable to make the case that it was immoral to drink during Prohibition. At least, if you were aware that the alcohol was mostly provided by gangsters, and thus that your purchase was sending money to men who did terrible things. In effect, you're deciding that you want a beer badly enough that you don't care if you're giving money to murderers and extortionists, and fueling a gang war. I mean, if we can get upset about blood diamonds and fair trade produce, why not about booze? Or weed?
                            I know this is very legalistic but it has never been illegal to drink in the US even during prohibition it was legal to drink provided said alcohol was originally purchased prior to prohibition. It was illegal to make, transport, or sell alcohol during prohibition but a great many wealthy families simply stocked up and filled tgeir wine cellars and basements with a lifetime supply of booze prior to prohibition taking effect. They even kept all the receipts to prove their booze was legal.

Thus why even President Hoover could go to cocktail parties at his wealthy friends houses without technically breaking any laws.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              Well this does make most acts of first world consumption immoral. Not saying it shouldn't, just that the implications aren't great.
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X