Trump Steps in it Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Steps in it Again

I'm sure anyone paying attention to the news has heard of Trump's latest sin, he called Haiti and African countries (some?) s***holes. This was in the context of immigration reform so Trump was talking about 3rd world sources of emigrants. Not surprisingly this has launched another flurry of criticism as the outraged are chiming in to call Trump a racist. Reporter April Ryan (?) rhetorically shouted at him 'are you a racist?'

Aside from the continuing disconnect between people calling this racist while denying race even exists, I think this shows another double standard - comedians regularly refer to some US states as dumps, etc. Mississippi usually takes the 'honor' of being America's anal orifice (I'm trying to think of more family friendly terms) but Alabama recently tried to outdo it with the Roy Moore show.

Even before that South Park singled Alabama out as America's derriere as the land of drunken, wife beating bowlers. Course Mississippi Man doesn't roll off the tongue quite like Alabama Man, but either can be mocked without being racist. When Obama criticized the Bible thumping, gun clingers was he being racist? Course not, he was identifying a 'problem' unrelated to race. The fact he was talking about mostly white people doesn't matter.

Trump 'asked' why cant we have more Norwegians instead of Haitians. Well, the answer is obvious, Norwegians probably consider the USA a butt hole. They're near the top in many stats used to measure development and I wouldn't be surprised if many Norwegians feel proud of that and look down on the rest of us to some extent, and I dont have a problem with that. They have a nice country, sort of... If you like mountains and cold.

Is it racist to refer to underdeveloped countries as '3rd world'? Isn't that just a euphemism for Trump's indictment of Haiti? Trump apparently included Honduras but it seems to me it wouldn't matter if Haiti was mostly Asian, Hispanic, Caucasian, or any other 'race'. Of course there's all sorts of reasons why Haiti is not exactly a popular vacation spot, lack of resources, earthquakes and hurricanes, disease, poverty, but what do these have to do with race?

Aren't Trump's accusers assuming its about race and isn't that just a bit racist? If Haiti was 'white' would Trump welcome them in with open arms? I dont think so... Can overly narcissistic people even be racist? They're self-absorbed, its all about them, not race, not even their own race. Hell, he's a germaphobe! He doesn't wanna be near anyone other than the beautiful women he cant help but sexually assault.

Anyway, if I lived in one of those 3rd world countries I dont know how I'd feel. I'd look around at the relatively unspoiled environment with more or less intact natural resources and smile. To me NYC is a butt hole, no offense New Yorkers... But I tend to prefer nature to the unwashed masses, no offense unwashed masses. I spent plenty of time living the big city life and its okay I guess, but I dont even want neighbors now.

Is '3rd world' a racist euphemism for Trump's choice of words? Seems to me the world's septic tank is North Korea, but that has nothing to do with race...

here's a discussion on the topic

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...2c6e4b0720dc4c6933c?ncid=edlinkushpmg000003 13

If Kidicious were here he would be mercilessly PWNing your ass. Since he is gone for now, it has become my job to prepare everybody for the eventual return of the greatest poaster in internet history, Kidicious, who will bring such Fire and Fury to Poly that consequences will nevar be the same.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

where'd he go?

where'd Ben go?

Gone with the wind, like Moore?

Actually they might be liking my OP

Comment

Ming banned Kidicious for one month yesterday.

Maybe soemone with moar tech-savvy than me can link to the poast in your fancy internet-code stuff. It was in the Witch Hunt thrade.
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

He's grouping people together based on the country they are from. Pretty clearly stating poor vs wealthy country. So he obviously doesn't think a deserving or meritorious person can come from a poor country. So if it's prejudicial, it overtly stemming from a wealthy vs poor bias, not race. Of course, it could be a proxy for race - I don't know many poor majority white countries - maybe Russia and he loves that country.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
            Uncle Sparky commented
            Editing a comment
            Eastern Europe in general is still well behind the west, especially his wife's motherland and neighbors.

It must be racist, he didn't call France a ****hole and we all know it is, but it's mostly white so it escaped his ire.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"I'm not racist, I just hate people based on their nationality and/or ethnicity" - may be technically correct, but still means he's prejudiced, ignorant, and a bigot.

Comment

I believe he called El Salvador, Haiti, and "Africa" ****holes. If we are honest we would admit Haiti and El Salvador are **** holes but, no, a president shouldn't be saying that. I would note that if you have ever heard the private recordings of LBJ or Nixon from when they were in office then you know in private Presidents often have potty mouths. Trump is certainly less smart and less artful than those two were though.
              Last edited by Dinner; January 14, 2018, 00:17.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Presidents shouldn't be saying that crap where people that will take advantage of it will. But then what does he know? He'll probably get away with denying he even said it.

FAKE NEWS.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

He was doing more than calling the countries ****holes. He was implying that the value of the individual immigrants is derived from their nationality/ethnicity rather than their individual characteristics.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                    -Jrabbit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    But he says his system will be merit-based!

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                  Aside from the continuing disconnect between people calling this racist while denying race even exists
                  There is no need to accept race as a valid delineation to make value judgements about the views of other people who believe race is a valid delineation.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post

Is '3rd world' a racist euphemism for Trump's choice of words?
                    I was told that ppl in those countries prefer "developing country" over "3rd world country" /2 cents

Blah

Comment

If you prefer blue shirts to orange shirts, that's a prsonal PREJUDICE.
                      Mercedes over BMW? DITTO.
                      Pork over octopus? Again...
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                        -Jrabbit commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You seem to be confusing "preference" with "prejudice"...

Not a bit. It's the same thing.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

One. Shirts and cars aren’t people.
                      Two. You are right. It would be the same logic if you thought all Mercedes were better than any BMWs. Which would be a prejudice. It would also lead you to make poor decisions and miss out on really good orange shirts as you drive an amazing BMW simply because you are closed minded and group all things together without good reason.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                      X