Cryptocurrencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EPW View Post
    Elon Musk is a a goodddddd damn madman. love him for it though he's going to be presdinet of mars and win the world series
    Why is this subhuman allowed to speak?

Comment

They are promoting themselves, but good op-ed on cryptocurrency and Elon Musk.

Our Top Crypto Play Isn’t a Token...

Investing March 27, 2021

By: Alex Planes

People have been asking me for years if it’s too late to get into Bitcoin.

But I never expected everyone to ask me if they’re too late to buy Dogecoin.

The crypto space is full of surprises. Elon Musk joining forces with Snoop Dogg and Gene Simmons to promote a crypto token created as a joke... that’s gonna be hard to top.

But we think Dogecoin isn’t the crypto play you should be watching right now.

Thanks to Musk, Bitcoin is now worth more than Tesla. Both are worth over $800 billion.

Bitcoin has held up far better than other tokens over the years... but I don’t think it’ll be the biggest crypto story forever, either.

Musk made out quite well by dropping $1.5 billion of Tesla’s cash into Bitcoin. He also pushed Bitcoin well into fresh all-time highs when Tesla publicized its stake. But price spikes can bring their own set of risks.

As many tokens break price records on a near-daily basis, it’s worth asking: Who’s really making money on crypto moves?

The only way most crypto tokens can hit new heights is by attracting more and more attention, bringing in more and more buyers.

And let’s face it... as interest grows, newer waves of buyers tend to be less interested in jumping through hoops to buy a small slice of a single Bitcoin.

Someone has to help facilitate crypto moves for newer buyers, just as someone’s had to make it easier to get all sorts of other things done online.

In both cases, companies that have successfully streamlined online experiences — whether that involves buying a futon or booking a flight — capitalized on an online gold rush in much the same way as the original Gold Rush winners did with their picks and shovels.

You can still enjoy enormous success with tomorrow’s crypto picks-and-shovels winners today. The long-term growth opportunities in the crypto space won’t disappear if the Bitcoin (or Dogecoin, or Ethereum, or...) bubble pops tomorrow.

Remember the dot-com bubble?

In the '90s, investors were convinced that the internet would take over the world, and everyone would get rich because of it.

What happened?

The internet did take over the world... it just took a little longer than the market anticipated. So we wound up with a massive bubble and a monster crash. A lot of also-rans washed out, never to be heard from again.

But some companies held on and became today’s titans.

If you’ve followed The Motley Fool for a while, you’re probably familiar with a few of them... because they’ve been among our best-performing picks over the years.

I’m talking about stocks like:
      • Amazon (up 19,797% since Stock Advisor’s rec on 9/6/2002)
      • Booking Holdings (up 9,469% since Stock Advisor’s rec on 5/21/2004)
      • Netflix (up 27,019% since Stock Advisor’s rec on 12/17/2004)
      • Apple (up 2,329% since Stock Advisor’s rec on 1/8/2008)

Growth can often happen faster than you think, but it’s not an overnight event.

At the top of the dot-com boom in 1999, there were about 250 million people online. Today, it’s about 5 billion. The big winners on our list above (among many others) compounded their growth well beyond the 20X explosion in internet users.

We could go into extreme detail on why these tech titans won the dot-com race, but it’s actually quite simple: They made life easier for their users, and became indispensable.

Think about how much less convenient your life might be without Amazon Prime, or instant price comparisons for flights and hotels, or access to thousands of top-quality streaming shows and movies... or even without an iPhone (or an Android).

As crazy as it sounds, the crypto space stands on a much smaller foundation than 1999’s internet. And despite rapid advancements in accessibility, it can still be hard to find a truly convenient way to buy or sell cryptocurrencies.

But that’s changing.

Right now, the Bitcoin blockchain only processes about 300,000 transactions a day. To put that in perspective, about 43 million Tesla shares change hands on an average trading day.

There may be a lot of runway left for crypto activity.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean the runway leads to a satisfying takeoff.

Institutional investors have been piling into Bitcoin (and other cryptocurrencies) for some time now. They don’t care about “HODL” or any of the philosophical rationales for hanging on to their hoard. They just want to make money.

If that means selling fractional Bitcoins to a swarm of small-timers buying in at a few hundred bucks a pop... those institutional investors will do it.

And the sell-off might come sooner than you expect, especially after news-driven spikes like those we’ve seen this year.

This brings us back to the picks and shovels.

If you want to do well with crypto investments, you should be positioned to make money regardless of which direction any particular token is moving on any particular day.

We’ve found one company that’s positioned itself perfectly as a long-term picks-and-shovels solution for the broader crypto market — Bitcoin, Dogecoin, and all the others.

What’s even better about this company is that adding convenience to the crypto space is only one of many growing revenue streams.

This company’s technology is making life easier for people who need to conduct all kinds of online transactions, whether it’s buying Bitcoins or paying their bills. In fact, you’ve probably used this company’s technology in the past few days, even if you’ve never had an account or even heard of the company before. That’s how prevalent it’s become...

You can learn all about this company, and its upside as a long-term investment, in our exclusive report. But you’ll need to join our 750,000-plus subscribers inside Motley Fool Stock Advisor to get the full scoop...
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
        166% year on year increase 2019 to 2020 for reg credit revenue.

I think it's safe to say they are still selling those credits.
        I've seen it mentioned that if you discount the regulatory credit revenue, you should also discount all the extra bonuses paid to Musk.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Their most recent financial statements state they sold $400m in the last three months of 2020 alone.

https://tesla-cdn.thron.com/delivery...Q4-2020-Update

Secondly, capital expenditure does not typically hit the P&L, except through depreciation. I don't know what accounting treatment they use, but would be shocked if they wrote off those costs instead of capitalising them.

Third, their net profit in 2020 was $2bn ($6bn was gross profit before opex), of which $1,5bn was credits. Sure they made a profit for the first time ever across a fiscal year - but most of it was from corporate welfare.
          Ok, they haven't earned new credits since 2019 when they lost eligibility but they did sell old credits they still had. They still made a net profit even without the credits.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Dauphin
            Dauphin commented
            Editing a comment
            What is your source for that? They get credits in multiple countries and US states, so would be interested in knowing why/how their revenues from credits is expected to be even higher in 2021 than 2020, which was higher than 2019, when they aren't actually receiving credits since 2019. Doesn't make sense.

• Dinner
            Dinner commented
            Editing a comment
            You said so yourself in your previous post! At least wrt profits. I recall Tesla no longer qualifies for the tax credits, it is only until a company makes a certain number of vehicles. Ergo: If they can't get new ones they are selling old ones already on their books.

• Dauphin
            Dauphin commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm saying i see no evidence they aren't getting credits that they can then sell. Where is the evidence they stopped in 2019?

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post

I've seen it mentioned that if you discount the regulatory credit revenue, you should also discount all the extra bonuses paid to Musk.
          As of 2019 financial statements, the last SEC filings I could see, most had not vested and so didn't appear in the accounts. Some $500m of stock options had been recognised as probable and would be recognised over a 3 year period. So we can add a few hundred million back to reported figures to date. Not moving the needle.

I don't doubt Tesla can be profitable, and hugely so - the share price demonstrates that expectation despite no dividend returns. I'm just pointing out that I think there is a risk of hype.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

They are certainly hyped. The hype is because they are so far ahead on battery tech as well as mass production of batteries that everyone expects them to own the industry. In a fair system that might even be so but I expect lots of governments to start subsidizing electric car production to gain an advantage tage and that is really going to distort markets.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's nothing. Wait until Starlink IPO.

Comment

So much Tesla news. TL;DR

Comment

This is the kind of video card you need for bitcoin mining

unfortunately it's fake
                I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Bitcoin mining uses ASICs, ethereum and other altcoins are the ones that are mined using GPUs
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

And vespene is mined by SCVs.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

And vespene is mined by SCVs.
                      No, it is mined by the refinery. The SCVs only pick it up and take it back to the command center.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Analysts are saying TSLA can go to $1000/share or even $1300/share. Incredible. It's up %4.43 today. How long will it take to get there at this rate?

Comment

Recently, I've been working on the https://LinkRemoved crypto exchange, transferred here the entire asset from the Bittrex exchange. Just as I felt that something was going to happen, and now I am talking about this news, they will no longer serve a number of countries. I succeeded)) Well, so far everything is fine with Bikkex, the volumes are good for scalping and volatility. Plus low fees here. This is also good news. Well, their API is quite advanced. I trade mainly from a phone and tablet.
                          Last edited by Buster Crabbe's Uncle; April 18, 2021, 15:49. Reason: LinkRemoved

Comment

I think that it is a bad time to expect 10x returns on bitcoin. I think there is a fair chance that sometime in the next decade bitcoin might break 80k.

I think it is more likely that there will be a drop in bitcoin in the next year.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                            X