Help Lori help his friend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Lori help his friend.

One of my oldest, closest friends is having a bad time. He's the same age as I am and, until about this time last year, had never had anything approaching a girlfriend (only random hookups). Well, a few months back, he and his girlfriend broke up. It was a bad breakup, and during a period of possible reconciliation (in my friend's eyes), his girlfriend cut off all contact with him. So he's spent the last few months trying to do whatever he can to reestablish contact. He is absolutely sure that if he can just make her sit down and talk, he can fix things and they can be together again.

Like me, my friend also has a history of depression, and the last few months have been very painful for him. He talks about wanting to kill himself and be dead a lot. There have been a couple instances where we thought he might really be serious and mobilized to "save" him. I've urged him to seek treatment--drugs, therapy, whatever. He is doing so, but half-heartedly.

When my friend comes to me to talk about this situation, he only wants advice on how he can get his ex to talk to him again. He thinks being with her is the only thing that can make him happy, and consequently reuniting with her is the only thing he wants to put any effort into. As someone well acquainted with obsessive tendencies and getting stuck on women, I vehemently disagree and do not want to help him with this. If she doesn't want to talk to him for whatever reason, I believe he has to respect that and find some way to move on, however much doing so may suck.

My friend doesn't want to hear any of this and we've been arguing quite a bit. I am very frustrated by (a) my inability to help him and (b) his apparent desire to follow in my really terrible footsteps. So what I want to know is, what can I do to help him? How do I support him? How do I offer advice that he'll listen to, and that I think will help him, and how do I do it in a way that doesn't lead to more argument and anger? (I've lot my temper a couple times, which clearly doesn't help anyone.) Monkeys.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Speaking of monkeys: Not your circus, not your monkeys. Lessons learned hard are lessons learned best.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We've been friends for 20 years, so yes, it is my circus.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You won't help. Sorry.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

You have to tell him that if he thinks he can get back with her, you can't do anything to help him.
          But you support him, no matter what stupid decisions he makes, because that is what friends do.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Tell him that to get his Ex back he must make her jealous by going out and banging a lot of chicks, getting a good job, settling down with a good woman, raising some kids, being active in community charity events ... and then she will talk to him.

Comment

5150 his ass. Helped AAHZ, plus now I got bragging rights.
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

What?

Comment

SECTION 5150 (FROM WIKI.)

AAHZ CERTIFIED.

Order of the Fly

Comment

By the way that's only a B-Lister, and I only poasted it because of the references to 5150.
                    Order of the Fly

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                      But you support him, no matter what stupid decisions he makes, because that is what friends do.
                      Of course.

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                      5150 his ass. Helped AAHZ, plus now I got bragging rights.
                      I don't think that's necessary. He has a job, supports himself, still comes out to do things, etc. I am very worried about his mental health, but he is seeing a psychiatrist and getting drugs, so it seems better to leave that kind of decision to the professionals.

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                      Tell him that to get his Ex back he must make her jealous by going out and banging a lot of chicks, getting a good job, settling down with a good woman, raising some kids, being active in community charity events ... and then she will talk to him.
                      The difficulty is that he thinks nabbing this girl was lucky and that she was his last, best shot at the whole marriage/kids/happy life thing. He is actually significantly more capable than I am of going out and being social and meeting people, but romantically he's had far less success.

Comment

Go through the archives and give him links to all the appropriate threads here. I think he'll get the idea.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Heh. He's even better at talking to women than I am; he's been shot down way more times than I have.

Comment

Not what I would consider a sign of success.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Lori, most all the guys are right, including Sloww. On some level, you can only be there for your friend and ride it out. It's a very frustrating situation in every direction - his ex is probably feeling stalked right now, you know. Sucks for everyone, including you, being a good friend being terribly unfun at a time like this.

Aeson surely has the best suggestion of all, despite being a joke; sometimes, what a body needs is a little hair of the dog that bit them to ease them through the hangover, only find another dog. If he could be convinced to embark on a program of making the ex jealous --- well, that could possibly turn out like the joke, and even ultimately make her jealous after it's moot.

But I used to be this guy, and I'd bet against you being able to straighten him out at all. He's going to have to work through his dog problem, but he's hurting and lonely and needs your support in the meanwhile. Be a friend, but maybe don't be too free to volunteer advice, unasked. Sometimes, you just have to realize that there's no stopping some people from making their own Hell - but they could still use a friend while they dig, and maybe eventually learn to stop digging...
                              AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
                              JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Working...
                              X