What would you do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do

Yeah, I know it's the name of highly exploitative TV show that judges people.

But what the heck, this is poly and we judge each other all the time.

SO I propose that people post a situation and say what they did and provide a rational for doing so. This can used to unmercifully make fun of said poster.
    I'll post the first example that I'll keep light so we don't start right in with someone saying they wanted to murder someone.

I was staying at a guest in someones home. I went and took a shower and noticed a squeegee hanging on the wall. We just recently started hanging one in our shower so I have some clue on why it was there. My host never mentioned it was there so I felt no official obligation to use it. Now I'm thinking that if I had a guest, I would treat them like one and not mention it or expect them to use it when they were done using the shower. I might even feel insulted if they thought they needed to do it.

What would you do. Use it or not.
    I'll give my answer and reason after a few others reply.

And feel free to add your own, what would you do scenario.

Now before you just break out laughing and ignore this, just think, you could be responding to your typical Kidiot's post. This is the alternative.
    We pleaded for it, and now we have it. Let's enjoy it before he changes his mind.

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

I would use the squeegee to wipe down the shower stall after I was done. I would not obsess and spend too much time trying to make it perfect.

Emma Stone stated that some of her male co-stars took pay cuts so that they would be paid equally. Would any of you be willing to do so? I think that rather than take a pay cut, I would argue with management that she should get a pay raise so that we were equal. In real life, I have never been on a team where I felt we contributed equally and thus should be paid equally.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I figured that since they didn't tell me, they didn't want me to, BUT I did anyway, and no I didn't obsess to make it perfect either.

On the pay side, everyone is responsible for dealing with their own pay. I would support any equality claim but I'm only responsible for what I negotiated. And I agree that not everyone contributes the same but it's a little bit like professional athletes. They don't all get paid the same and they all don't contribute the same but overall it seems to eventually work out.

So in short, I wouldn't take a pay cut, (unless it was like sports under a salary cap and I felt the team needed more money to win)
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think where sexism or racism (or any long term problem) effects pay, then you should stand in solidarity with your colleagues. But otherwise? No.

I have generally chased physics, freedom and adventure. I should start chasing pay (see previous pay).

I don't know what squeegee is for in the shower. If I know something and I feel comfortable in the house, I am glad to help out... I have washed dishes and so on many times.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Had to google squeegee - depends - if it looks like they use it I will, if not, no.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Re: squeegee - Would I use it? It matters how far away their car is, and if I had a bathrobe...
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post

Emma Stone stated that some of her male co-stars took pay cuts so that they would be paid equally. Would any of you be willing to do so? I think that rather than take a pay cut, I would argue with management that she should get a pay raise so that we were equal. In real life, I have never been on a team where I felt we contributed equally and thus should be paid equally.
              Depends on a number of factors. Examples:
              1. How well do I know and like the female colleague/co-star (if we dislike each other, I don't see any reason to show solidarity to her by having a pay-cut)
              2. The amount of money we talk about (if the pay-cut would endanger my own existence, I surely won't show solidarity ... if we talk about an amoun of money similar to that what J-Law and Chris Pratt got for Passengers, then I wouldn't have any problems with receiving a few million less, out of solidarity with my Co-star (but yeah, I know, in case of Passengers J-Law got more than Chris ))
              3. The perceived degree of injustice (if, for example, my colleague/co-star got 5-10% less money, but I think I do more/better work, I'd not take a pay cut)

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

(1) Never heard of this squeegee in the shower thing. I likely wouldn't shower as a guest because, you guessed it, I'm a weirdo. Unless I were staying for an extended period of time. Then... without prior knowledge, I probably would have assumed it was used when they clean the bathroom and not used it.

(2) For the entertainment industry specifically (and maybe sports as well), I think it can be difficult to make the case for equal pay across the board. The reason being that the value any particular entertainer has is very subjective, unless you pin it to something very specific like box office take. In which case, as I understand it, in general the actors with bigger box office draws do get paid more, which can mean that the female actor gets paid more than the male actor. I wouldn't be surprised if the average for female actors is less than the average for male actors, but I'm not entirely sure how to remedy that while still paying each individual actor what they are "worth."
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

For those unaware, the squeegee is used on the glass and walls after you shower. It greatly reduces soap scum buildup and mildew. It makes the shower much easier to clean and you don't have to do it as often.

Any other "what would you do"?
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I would use the squeegee if I noticed it, I probably wouldn't notice. I wouldn't take a pay cut. I mean, why cut a supposedly misogynistic company slack? Splitting your extra would be far preferable.

Comment

Let's pretend I am somebody else, Rah, for example. And let's pretend I continually get PWNed by another poaster here... Kidicious for example. No matter how bad he humiliates me (Rah) I continually poast here. Maybe I am getting senile. Maybe I enjoy pain and humiliation. But I have nevar defeated Kidicious yet I keep trying anyway. What I (Rah) really need to do is disconnect my modem and play Parcheesi with my brother in the twilight years of our lives. Also Ming needs to re-retire and hand over control to AAHZ.

Thank you.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

(2) For the entertainment industry specifically (and maybe sports as well), I think it can be difficult to make the case for equal pay across the board. The reason being that the value any particular entertainer has is very subjective, unless you pin it to something very specific like box office take. In which case, as I understand it, in general the actors with bigger box office draws do get paid more, which can mean that the female actor gets paid more than the male actor. I wouldn't be surprised if the average for female actors is less than the average for male actors, but I'm not entirely sure how to remedy that while still paying each individual actor what they are "worth."
                        Unfortunately sometime the signs for not only sexism, but also racism in parts of the entertainment industry seem to be clear.
                        Like currently in the case of Hawaii Five-O:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/08/op...ang/index.html

Grace Park (also known as Boomer in BSG) and Daniel Dae Kim (Lost) (both asian-americans) both got less pay and were treated worse than Loughlin and Caan (white, male), who only had either just supporting roles or roles only in failed shows before Hawaii Five-O
                        Also,despite Kim and Park being the ones who ere always prominently featured in the series and on posters (in order to gain viewers), it was Loughlin and Caan who were listed a stars, whereas Park and Kim were just listed as Co-Lead.
                        Which resulted in Kim and Park finally quitting the show, after their contract renegtiations failed to find a consensus (I wonder if the show will survive ... my guess is, the next season will be the shows last)
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                          Let's pretend I am somebody else, Rah, for example. And let's pretend I continually get PWNed by another poaster here... Kidicious for example. No matter how bad he humiliates me (Rah) I continually poast here. Maybe I am getting senile. Maybe I enjoy pain and humiliation. But I have nevar defeated Kidicious yet I keep trying anyway. What I (Rah) really need to do is disconnect my modem and play Parcheesi with my brother in the twilight years of our lives. Also Ming needs to re-retire and hand over control to AAHZ.

Thank you.
                          Obviously I'd keep posting, since I'm still here and he's run away with his tail between his legs.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah, I don't think you understand or appreciate the wonder, brilliance, and complexity of Kidicious' brain. KIDICIOUS' BRAIN, Rah. The mind of Kidicious is on levels that I can only hope to strive to achieve.

I might make a thrade about this.
                            Order of the Fly
                            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

RE Hawaii 5-0
                              Reports are that Producers were willing to offer Daniel Dae Kim up to $5000 less per episode than the white stars and that this was a substantial raise. To quit over $5000 per episode shows that this was clearly an issue of principal - for both the actor and the show producers.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X