Heil Erdogan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heil Erdogan

> 98% of votes have been counted and it currenly it is around 51.5 % pro Erdgan Autocracy.

Unless something strange happens, like the last < 2% of votes being 100% contra (something that Erdogan surely will know to prevent) we can congratulate Erdogan to his new position as Führer of the Neo-Osmanic Reich.

And, as one could expect, OSCE-Observers of the referendum have found irregularities.
    Aside from the fact that most of them were allowed into the polling stations only 2 hours after the referendum had started, there have also been irregularities like,for example, that in some places you were only allowed to vote openly ... or in some locations, that the local AKP mayor would go into the voting boothtogether with the voter.

That Erdogan already authorized an autobiography with the title "Benim kavgam" (My Fight) doesn't seem to be true.however

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the country’s prime minister have declared victory in a Sunday referendum designed to hand Erdogan sweeping powers.
    Last edited by Proteus_MST; April 16, 2017, 14:48. Reason: Added Link + Tagss
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Soon there will be another coup attempt and all the people who voted no will be purged.
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Not surprisingly, there are indication of mssive election fraud.

On request of Erdogans AKP, the election board, in a last minute decision, decided to accept ballot papers, even if they are unsealed/unstamped.
      This is contrary to the voting laws in turkey

There also have been videos, spread over social media, about 2 indicents in which men filled out several stamped and unstamped ballot papers with "yes".

http://stockholmcf.org/widespread-el...ve-presidency/

Because of widespread reports of irregularities, the oppotision party CHP as well as the pro kurd party HDP will demand a recount of a large percentage of ballot votes.

https://www.dailysabah.com/elections...uty-chair-says

I guess is only a matter of time till the CHP and HDP will get declared illegal and all of their members get incarcerated as traitors
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The good news is that, if Erdogan is Hitler, he doesn't have any obvious place to look for lebensraum. He'd get in big trouble going west, he'd be a colossal fool to want custody of the Syrian mess, and Iran's too strong for him. Presumptively his agenda for the foreseeable future amounts to:

1. Arrest uppity commoners.
        2. Find way to sneak contraceptives into Kurdish water supply.
        3. Shake down EU for favors by threatening to let more refugees through.

I don't know enough about Turkey to gauge his chances of long-term success with any of those three, but if Turkey goes down we're in big trouble, so I guess we ought to grudgingly wish him luck.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

hmm...a dictator who didn't get 99% of the vote?

maybe he'll do better next election

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
            hmm...a dictator who didn't get 99% of the vote?

maybe he'll do better next election
            That can be said for sure

Seefor example Germany:
            Last free election in germany, 1933,before the Ermächtigungsgesetz (which gave Hitler his full dictorial powers): NSDAP 43.9 % of votes
            First regular Election, 1936, after the Ermächtigungsgesetz was instituted: NSDAP 98.8 %

Erdogan surely can do as well

Comment

okay, I rounded up

Comment

Another way is to let 107% of the voters vote

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  The good news is that, if Erdogan is Hitler, he doesn't have any obvious place to look for lebensraum. He'd get in big trouble going west, he'd be a colossal fool to want custody of the Syrian mess, and Iran's too strong for him. Presumptively his agenda for the foreseeable future amounts to:

I don't know enough about Turkey to gauge his chances of long-term success with any of those three, but if Turkey goes down we're in big trouble, so I guess we ought to grudgingly wish him luck.
                  Who is WE? I don't really care anymore.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post

The pity about it is that it would have been kinda cool to have a - truly - democratic, prospering Turkey right at the flank of the other middle eastern countries to demonstrate that (most of) those don't have to be ruled by asshats who mostly care about their own positions, but don't do much to improve lives of their population, with all the consequences from poverty to terrorism. Sigh...I guess we just have to wait longer.

Blah

Comment

The problem is that Turkey was never truly a democracy; the military kept intervening to prevent the "wrong" candidates from coming to power. Now that's finished, since somebody learned how to tame the soldiers. So, did the majority of Turks ever really want to be a secular/liberal democracy? Do they now? Did they, or do they, know what they want or wanted? I don't know.
                      1011 1100

Comment

Turkey is very divided between the urban population, mostly educated and pro-western, and a (perhaps slightly larger) rural population, often uneducated and prone to vote for populists. the urban population is growing, but that won't reverse the tide of the Islamists can corrupt enough of the educational system that the new urban elites stop caring about the truth.

The Kids of Islam know they are doomed unless they can harness the state in the service of their fake news.
                        The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                        - A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler View Post
                          Turkey is very divided between the urban population, mostly educated and pro-western, and a (perhaps slightly larger) rural population, often uneducated and prone to vote for populists. the urban population is growing, but that won't reverse the tide of the Islamists can corrupt enough of the educational system that the new urban elites stop caring about the truth.

The Kids of Islam know they are doomed unless they can harness the state in the service of their fake news.
                          The world doesn't fit into little boxes like you think. There are Islamic radicals teaching at universities just like there are radical authoritarian leftists like you teaching at universities. I don't know where you get the idea that people learn to be moderate at universities.

Also, I'm educated. You are wrong about every damn thing.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by grumbler View Post

This analysis treats Turkey as basically a copy of the conventional Dem POV on the current political divide in America: rurals have no legitimate cause for grievance, or would have their grievances addressed by urbans, but contradict their betters because they are ignorant and unsophisticated. I think this is an inadequate explanation even for America, and seriously doubt whether it is so neatly applicable to Turkey. If nothing else, it doesn't even mention the whole Kurdish issue.
                            1011 1100

Comment

Grumbler is basically right.
                              The more conservative (and islamist oriented) citizens of Turkey seem to be located n the rural regons of Anatolia,
                              whereas the more western oriented and less religious citizens seem to be in the larger cities, as well as he tourist region on the coast.

The results of the Referendum actually reflect this ...
                              with regions that voted "No" being at the cast and surrrounding Ankara

Comment

Working...
                              X