How often do you honk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you honk.

I"m not doing this as a poll because I'm really not interested in the average or overall picture. I'm more interested in individual responses.

So the question is. If you drive a car on a regular basis, how often do you use your horn.

A. at least once a day.
    B. once a week
    C. once a month.
    D. a few times a year.
    E. too few to remember.

When I was younger I used to do it quite frequently, but as I've aged, it has reduced considerably. The car I'm driving now, I got about a year and a half ago and I've probably only used the horn less than a handful of times. Mostly just a slight tap when the driver in front of me isn't paying attention at a stop light. Only once to alert a driver that was unaware that he was cutting me off.

I think it shows something about a person's personality, and am interested in it as just another data point.

So give us your answer, and any rational to justify or explain your usages.

Thanks.

And for those that thought this thread was going to be about something else, you should be ashamed of yourselves

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

I think we have roughly the same honking patterns. I'll do a brief honk for someone who hasn't noticed the light turn green, and a slightly angrier honk for someone who's cut in front of me. Most of the time if someone is being an ******* on the road I'll just wave pleasantly at them to let them know that yes, we all know you're the one being the *******, buddy.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yeah, when I was younger, I was more aggressive with those ******** on the road, but I've mellowed out some. But not mellowed so much that i'm not cursing them silently
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The same here... the only time I honk is when somebody falls asleep at a light. In traffic, it's usually too late to honk if somebody does something stupid... it's usually faster to just avoid the moron.

And yeah, when I was younger I was far more aggressive... But now, if I pulled some of the crap I did back then, it's possible some yahoo will pull out a gun and shoot at me.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

E

In one situation I was backed into while stopped at a parking lot. Twice. The car was going for a third time when my wife reached over and pressed the horn.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Maybe once a year at the outside. Unless its to warn someone about to unknowingly do something dangerous, its just an aggression mechanism, and those rarely result in any positive outcome.

Comment

I didn't know it's "honking" when you use your horn. Seriously
              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                I didn't know it's "honking" when you use your horn. Seriously
                Well that's why JM has his wife do it for him.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

E

I usually only honk when it is absolutely necessary to avoid an accident ... which is almost never.
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

definitely the thread winner. CLASSIC
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think I have honked twice over the last ten years - both times was when someone started to shift lane into my car.

Here unnecessary honking can cost ~$200 (1000DKK) if caught.
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

Blah

Comment

In the US I never honk.

Here honking is an important aspect of driving, similar to using signal lights, so maybe 40 per hour. The closest I've been to an accident here was on a day my horn wasn't working. I was passing a motorcycle at about 20mph difference, and they started to turn left from the far right (no signal) just as I was overtaking. Normally I (and most drivers here) give a quick honk when starting an overtake or approaching fast so the driver being passed knows.

Many vehicles do not have proper mirrors and signal lights, and hardly anyone uses their signal lights or checks their blind spots.

Flahing brights (even in the day) is another way drivers here communicate. I don't really understand the etiquette on that though.

Comment

The French do it all the ****ing time, its annoying as hell.

Comment

Once a week, when somebody falls asleep at a green light or won't make a right turn on red or won't make an unprotected left turn with no oncoming traffic (meaning they've got a green light but they don't have a green arrow)

I work from home and so I don't do a lot of driving, otherwise I'd probably be in the once a day category if I had a daily commute (although in my experience daily commuters tend to be better (or at least more consistently aggressive) drivers)
                              Last edited by loinburger; March 10, 2017, 20:33.
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X