Dwarf Fortress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf Fortress

someone mentioned this game in another thread here and i became intrigued. i downloaded the game and have started playing through the tutorial. i've already managed to trap my two miners on a lower level and done some other silly things that will require a restart.

i'm playing with the original 'graphics', which are fine, but i've heard that some good sets are available that improve things a lot, as well as making certain aspects of the game easier. i can't seem to find any that work with the newest version, at least not without some fiddling about, which i'm not prepared to do at present.

who else here plays it and what do you recommend?
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

I haven't even heard about it... on my end I am currently playing 7 Days to Die.

Will be following this thread though.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I mostly associate Dwarf Fortress with going on a bender and engaged in both at roughly the same period of life (graduate school).

Basically there would be a long duration without sleeping/eating/etc which seemed not so long at the time ending in passing out, and a promise to never partake again in the morning.

Since graduate school I have only touched Dwarf Fortress one time and my wife saved me that time.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Congratulations on discovering DF
        I am currently not playing DF ... but I have done so for a long time and I will do so again when time allows
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
          I mostly associate Dwarf Fortress with going on a bender and engaged in both at roughly the same period of life (graduate school).

Basically there would be a long duration without sleeping/eating/etc which seemed not so long at the time ending in passing out, and a promise to never partake again in the morning.

Since graduate school I have only touched Dwarf Fortress one time and my wife saved me that time.

JM
          This was me and civ when I was much younger, minus the drinking.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I wasn't drinking at the same time as playing. I never understood how people could do both at once. Just noting that it was a time in my life for destructive behaviours.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
              I haven't even heard about it... on my end I am currently playing 7 Days to Die.

Will be following this thread though.
              well it's freeware and very small (in file size - the game itself is enormous) so there's no excuse for not checking it out if you're interested.

but seriously, i'm pretty busy these days (lots of work, young family, etc.) so i don't have a huge amount of time for computer games. i mostly play civ IV with caveman 2 cosmos and banished with some mods. i've kind of reached the end of what i can do with caveman 2 cosmos - it's really good, but you need a super computer to run anything bigger than a small map at a decent speed in the later eras; plus it's become pretty easy for me to beat. i gave up with elite dangerous because i simply lack the time to do anything interesting with it. so, i've been to looking for something to fill that gap and dwarf fortress seems to fit the bill.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

i mostly play civ IV with caveman 2 cosmos
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

One of my kids almost had to go to rehab to stop playing dwarf fortress...

Beware!
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I haven't played DF in a few years. Good fun.

Do yourself a favour and download the "Lazy Newb Pack". http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
                    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Yes, LNP and Phoebus tileset (part of LNP) are the best option unless you are playing adventurer mode.
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                        i'm playing with the original 'graphics', which are fine, but i've heard that some good sets are available that improve things a lot, as well as making certain aspects of the game easier. i can't seem to find any that work with the newest version, at least not without some fiddling about, which i'm not prepared to do at present.

who else here plays it and what do you recommend?
                        I played it a little, i would have liked it more if it had more 4X elements (like tech tree or something) - it's partially fixed by Masterwork DF mod, but it's not exactly what i would have wanted.

For graphics, you may just use Lazy Newb Pack (original game with useful utilities, graphics packs etc) or Masterwork DF mod (it also comes with all that stuff). Most importantly, make sure that "Text Will Be Text" is activated, and pick whatever textures/font you'll like (you can see them in setup utility).
                        Knowledge is Power

Comment

i like df inspired games, but not the original

the graphics

i need something

at least something
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                            i like df inspired games, but not the original

Have you already tried Gnomoria?

IMHO the closest to DF that you can find out there ... with better graphics and research.
                            (in contrast to DF, however, the evil can also appear within your fortress, as unlit corners in your fortress can serve as possible spawning points for hostile creatures)
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                              Have you already tried Gnomoria?
                              yup

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X